HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bed rest for 6 wks after surgery? Bed rest for 6 wks after surgery?

Unread 10-28-2003, 10:18 PM
Bed rest for 6 wks after surgery?

I have a friend who said she has a growth on her ovary, she says she will have to have
a hysterectomy for this and that her husband will need to take off 6 full weeks of work
because she will be on 6 full weeks of bedrest.

Is this true? I have not gone through this so have no knowledge but it didnt sound
right to me. I have had abdominal surgery before and wasnt put on 6 wks of bedrest.

Just wondering if this sounds right to you.

Thanks and hugs

Denise
Unread 10-28-2003, 10:28 PM

6 weeks of recuperation? Yes. 6 weeks of bedrest, that doesn't sound right. Bedrest sounds like someone who is bedridden and isn't allowed to do anything at all. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think many doctors recommend complete bed rest for 6 straight weeks (blood clots, muscle atrophy, etc.).

I had a TVH (different from TAH, of course) last week and my doctor didn't refer to any part of my recovery as bed rest. Rest, yes. But doing nothing. No.

Not saying that I'm doing a lot, but resting, reading, filling my water bottle, checking email occasionally, etc. YES!! You might want to have your friend confirm that statement.
Unread 10-28-2003, 10:40 PM
Thanks Janet...(m)

She specifically said bed rest for 6 weeks! All she was allowed to do was to use the
bathroom.

This friend has issues and is constantly in "need" of some sort of medical treatment
and always has a medical "issue" I didnt say anything to her but honestly feel she will
milk this for all it's worth and try to make her husband feel bad if he says he wont
stay home to cater to her.

I know "you" (as in anyone) are slow and sore after any surgery but especially an
abdominal, but 6 wks of bedrest?~!

Thanks

Denise
Unread 10-28-2003, 11:02 PM

I had SAH/BSO and was up and out of bed the next morning at the castle. I was told to take at least 4 walks around the "block" (the gyn surgical floor is a big square) each day and to continue taking little walks once I got home. This was to help with getting my insides moving again and prevent blood clots. Even when I had foot surgery several years back and wasn't allowed to put any weight on my foot, I was issued crutches and up the day of surgery.

Your friend sounds like she may have other issues besides her hyster that need to be dealt with. I wish her (and her DH) luck.

s
Cat
Unread 10-29-2003, 06:14 AM

Refer her to this site so that she can see how well many of the post-ops are doing...even those with complications! My mother came and stayed with me the first week I was out of the hospital while dh worked. The second week I was on my own while dh was at work and basically since the 3rd week my dh has been out of town for the majority of time.

True, it's a major surgery but with everything in life our "mindset" has a lot to do with our recovery.

Best wishes to her and her dh.
Unread 10-29-2003, 06:25 AM

I had a TAH on 9/16 and had to walk in the hospital every day after the first one. I walked all the time when I got home, which I think helped with my recovery. My husband took off the first week that I was home just to make sure I had help getting out of bed and getting food, but after that I was on my own. I just made sure that all the food I wanted was on a shelf I could reach, and I bought one of those gripper devices in case I dropped something. (Being in bed for 6 weeks could actually be deadly - blood clots. )

I agree that your friend probably has other issues to deal with - sounds like her poor husband could use this site more than her, but he isn't really supposed to be visiting hystersister. Also, some of the post-op postings are kind of scary, so she might use them to prove her point. Maybe he needs to talk to her doctor prior to the surgery to see what the doctor recommends. I wish them both luck - sounds like they will need it.

If I were you, I'd stay out of it, except to suggest he talk to the doctor.
Unread 10-29-2003, 06:31 AM

Each situation is different, as well as, each person is different. If in this situation she has no one else that she can depend on then yes she will need assistance for the first few weeks for sure. If she's like me she may just need and want her husband with her as much as possible. Sometimes we need to let others make thier choices and her dr. will guide her during her checkups and let her know when she may begin to do things on her own.

Perhaps being alone is a greater fear than the recovery. Let her have her time, if he can afford the down time from work, then it may be just what their marriage needs.
Some people just don't handle or like being alone and believe me I am 3 weeks post op and I spend 12 hrs. of my day alone to entertain myself. When those unexpected pains and other problems arise it sure is nice to have some one with you.

Oh well that's my two cents. I just think if she needs him then thats her business.
Unread 10-29-2003, 08:31 AM

We all heal differently, but I have to agree with other hyster sisters that sometimes it is also how you yourself want to heal.

My mother-in-law had a hyst this summer and tends to be whiney and negative at times. So, when I found out I needed one, I didn't let her know until a week before I went in because of how she "is"...and I was right. She told me , "Oh, it's such awful surgery!" and I cut her off and told her I knew I'd do fine!! (I am now 6 days post-surgery and feel pretty darn good...get tired easily, but feel good!!).

She called the hospital the next morning (didn't want her there) after my surgery and was shocked to have me answer and sound so well!! She couldn't believe how well I was doing, how soon they let me out compared to her (she was in 2 days longer) or how well I was walking (the doctors DO know better about getting you moving pretty soon to get your bowels moving, etc.).

Try to be supportive of your friend, but ultimately it will be up to her doctor's orders and on HER on how quick her recovery goes. Hopefully, she and her husband will get on this website!! It sure has helped me!!
Unread 10-29-2003, 08:46 AM

I would encourage my friend's husband to be present at all Dr. app'ts to hear first hand what the Dr.'s instructions are.
I can think of no reason why your friend should be on bed rest for 6 wks.
Unread 10-29-2003, 08:58 AM
Di Denise,

I had LAVH and had to have one ovary removed because of endometriosis. I was in bed a little over 2 weeks but that was mainly because my DH wanted me there resting. 6 weeks bed rest sounds like a long time I know I'd go crazy but guess it depends on what is wrong how long you have to have it. Love, ((((STITCHER))))

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.