HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Painful intercourse after Complete Hysterectomy Painful intercourse after Complete Hysterectomy

Unread 11-02-2003, 10:43 PM
Painful intercourse after Complete Hysterectomy

I had a complete hysterectomy at the end of July, and recently had an extremely painful expeience.

When my husband and I were having intercourse and we got to the "Best" part (the BIG O), it felt like my entire insides were being pushed into my throat! It also felt like I still had a cervix or something in there! I was in so much pain that I hurt for a couple of days in my abdominal area.

My questions are: Is this normal? ; Has this happened to anyone else?; Will this go away?; Do you think that I need to discuss this with my OBGYN? My DH is great, but he's not Superman!

Any help you can offer would be welcomed...
Unread 11-02-2003, 11:07 PM

You definately need to give your doctor a call. That much discomfort does not sound normal - especially if you have not had a problem until now. Please call your doctor. Let us know what the doctor has to say and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sending s
Unread 11-03-2003, 02:50 AM

Bowsy, Are you by any chance having any problems with bm's too? I had not outright pain but it could have been had I not stopped him... the other night. It was not at the climax but during the course of getting to the climax -- it took several attempts to find a position that wasn't uncomfortable... so I was just curious. ~~ Diana ~~
Unread 11-03-2003, 06:32 PM

HI Bowsy
I have been having the same problem. It was so bad at 10 wks I could barely walk for 4 days. The next time it happened i was sore for a little longer but i also had a UTI which made it worse i guess.
Now this time i am having difficulty moving at all.
It doesnt happen every time but when it does its bad.

I went to have a checkup with the gyno but he found nothing wrong. just maybe try different positions and to take it slow. i told him that if i go any slower i would be going backwards

I was wondering if it also may be linked with my bowels because its really sore in the abdominal area and when this happens I seem to get really swelled up and gassy for a few days.
I was thinking because everything else moved into the spot that the uterus was maybe he's hitting something else.
if anyone has any ideas im open to hear them.
thanks
Lisa
Unread 11-03-2003, 08:06 PM

I can't see in your signatures what types of surgeries you had BUT...

If you retained your ovaries can move around and can shift down into areas that leave them vulnerable to being "bumped" and it can hurt just as badly for a woman to get bumped as it does when a man gets bumped. I know I was none too happy when my doc found one of mine while doing an exam and accidently pused too hard - major major ouch.

Just a thought....
Unread 11-03-2003, 09:56 PM

Exactly. I had the same problem. Sex was so painful it put me in the fetal position and I could do nothing at that point but go to sleep.

On my yearly exam, my dr. found my ovary (i had partial hysterectomy in January) in my vaginal cuff, (what was it doing there?) and with several cysts on it. I just had my ovary removed last week. I am hoping this fixed the problem. I also had scar tissue removed.
Unread 11-05-2003, 10:59 AM
new post

ladies,
I have just posted a very similar experience, in that not only was the pain intense, but it caused a vaginal bleed. That was yesterday and I am still in pain today. Feels like trapped wind. Straight after sex I too curled up in foetal position. TAH BSO so hubby reckons that everything else is moving into the spaces created by surgery. He's great......................knows all the answers. That's what common sense does for you!
Off to sey GYN on sat after scan. Could possibly just be bruising I guess.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.