HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

failed anterior repair.. anyone else? failed anterior repair.. anyone else?

Unread 11-03-2003, 10:08 PM
failed anterior repair.. anyone else?

I am now 8 weeks post op and just had my suspicions confirmed that the anterior repair has failed. A Burch procedure was not performed as the GYN thought it was not neccessary (said everything looked pretty good so he didn't touch it). I now have a minor (according to my new GYN) bladder prolapse.

This is exactly where I was four years ago when I first noticd I had a problem - which ultimately led to a major posterior reconstruction, vag-hyst and anterior repair.

Has anyone else had an anterior repair fail? What were you told and/or what did you do about it? My GYN seemed pretty casual about it and said several times to "not worry about it"... but... being paranoid about having to go thorugh all of this again, I am worried. Any ideas, suggestions... anything

thanks

~ Kirstin
Unread 11-04-2003, 10:28 AM

(((Kirsten))) ,
I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing the same issues as before I had my hyst almost 4 yrs ago but was not in need of additional repairs. Unfortunately, I am now tho...I was dx'd several months ago w/ a vaginal vault prolapse which I assume is the cause of the other things Prolapsing. There are several ((Sisters)) here who have underwent additional surgery to have repairs re-done. Hopefully, they will come alog sortly to share their personal experiences/advice

Good Luck ((Kirsten)) Pls keep us posted....(((hugs)))
Unread 11-04-2003, 04:09 PM

Within three months of my surgery (done solely for a myriad of prolapses), something else was prolapsed worse than before! Can't begin to tell you how disappointed and upset I was!!! I mean after enduring the initial "gutting" surgery for TVH, A+P repair, Burch, I literally cried at the thought of another surgery to correct a vaginal vault prolapse!!! My gyn fitted me for a pessary while I figured out what to do.

I am not a medical school graduate so this is merely my personal opinion ... but I think if you have at least one thing prolapsed - chances are that other things are prolapsed as well. I wish doctors would realize that and provide better exams so they would know everything before surgery. Since the examination for prolapses is rather embarrassing (standing up, bearing down, etc.), I don't think a lot of doctors do a "thorough" job. Find a doctor skilled in Pelvic Floor Reconstruction (perhaps a Uro-gyn) who really knows what they're doing.

Wishing you good health,
Kajsa
Unread 07-06-2007, 07:37 AM
yes, prolapses reoccurred for me

Yes, I went to get another opinion. I am 1.5 years post-op and I cannot even clean closets out w/o problems. The doctor told me I had some 'normal relaxation' happening and that I had a stage one cystocele & rectocele. I know it was worse a month ago when I injured myself putting my toddler in the car seat. Has anyone used a Kegelmaster? I have one on order.
Unread 07-08-2007, 07:42 AM

I had my first Anterior repair with my TVH and it failed at 11 1/2 weeks post-op. I went ahead and had it fixed again (with dissolveable mesh) 17 months later (I had a constant frequency feeling) and that repair lasted for a little over 6 months, I did every thing the doctor told me and was extra cautious and it still failed (as did my rectocele repair) I am chosing now to try to live with it as my only alternative is to put in permanent mesh and I am just not comfortable with that. I'm also still in pain from the last repair, so I need to take a break and try to get to PT for the painful scar tissue that has formed. Hugs to you, I know this is very frustrating!
Unread 07-08-2007, 08:28 AM
bowlinggirl

I am so sorry for all that has happened to you! I was reluctant to use mesh (gut feeling) and I told my MD. He said he would use his judgement and was able to avoid it. He was glad since I had an allergic reaction to my sutures! Your e-mail had confirmed what I feel regarding mesh and multiple surgeries. I am so very sorry for what has happened to you. This must be a nightmare. What did the doctor tell you to avoid?????? I am just curious. I was told to do whatever I wanted to do! Keep us posted. I will pray for you and your situation.
Unread 07-08-2007, 08:29 AM

Girls I am so sorry for everything that everyone is going through. Do Kegels help w/ prevention???????
Unread 07-09-2007, 06:31 AM

Homeschool123,
At first I did nothing but walk around the house for 6 weeks, then I started walking only until about 14 weeks recovery. Then I started swimming as my exercise. I did start back to 'normal' activities at about 4 1/2 months post-op. But I still haven't run, lifted anything over 20 lbs, or walked the dog when he's excited. I just don't know. I do know that my uro/gyn did tell me that because I am still having pelvic floor spasms that I wasn't to do Kegal exercises as that can make my spasms worse. My best wishes to you. Hugs.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.