HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

cervical dysplasia and HPV cervical dysplasia and HPV

Unread 11-07-2003, 12:43 PM
cervical dysplasia and HPV

Hello! I think this website is awesome. I have learned so much and have been touched by all your stories.
I have HPV, I just had a leep done a year ago because of cervical dysplasia. One of my paps since the procedure came back normal my last pap came back that i have mild dysplasia. Has anyone had problems fighting off HPV? Has anyone had a leep procedure done and cervical dysplasia is still a problem but it only stays at mild and hasn't gotten any worse? Is that possiable?
Unread 11-07-2003, 01:26 PM
HPV and dysplasia

hi there. i actually had a cold cone biopsy done (in lieu of a LEEP) for the exact same reason early this year. my subsequent pap (in june) came back normal. however, i also have HPV and from my research, my understanding is that there is a direct link between HPV and a high recurrence of dysplasia. even further, there is a link between strains 16 and 18 of HPV that can lead to cervical cancer. not to scare you - BUT as long as you are having paps every 6 months (until you have 3 normal paps, then you can go back to the once a year rule) you should be fine. from my own experience there is a definite "Hassle factor" - every time there's an abnormal pap, a good gyn (as well as you!) should do a further biopsy to rule out anything more serious than dysplasia.
cervical cancer grows slowly so if it is caught early (ie. severe dysplasia or CIN 3) the individual stands a very good chance of surviving it following a hysterectomy.

keep up your dedication to your health and your body by having the regular paps. at this point there is no cure for HPV but there is hope for a vaccine to prevent it. and at this point my suggestion is for you to remain positive about your future!

all the best,
angela
Unread 11-08-2003, 12:19 PM

I had a LEEP done 7 years ago due to Dysplasia and went back for check-ups which came back fine and then skipped 3 years since my doc moved out of state - stupid I know. I went back this Sept and needed a cone and after the cone was told I had cervical cancer. I had my hyst Nov 4th. I kept my ovaries and tubes.

When I was first diagnosed with dysplasia no one told me about HPV, All they said is that it was pre-cancer cells. I can't tell you my reaction when I heard all the info! The word cancer is scary but catch it early and they can do wonders. I ache and am in some pain but you know what? The doc got it all! Go through whatever tests and procedures you need to, talk to another doc for 2nd opinion if need be. I was diagnosed by my GYN and talked it over with my reg doc who concured. Your life is precious to you and your loved ones.

I wish you all the best!!

Barb
Unread 11-08-2003, 08:25 PM

I had cryotherapy on my cerv because I had moderate dysplasia. I am having it removed with my LAVH because I keep having abnormal ASCUS pap smears, and I don't want a cone biopsy. My new gyn asked me why I never had an HPV hybrid test to see which type it was. I hadn't ever considered it, because it was never suggested to me. Now I don't have to anyway. I was told I have to continue to have my vaginal cells tested even after hysterectomy. I don't know how often, and I am going to ask "why" at pre-op.

Best of luck to you!
Unread 11-08-2003, 08:31 PM

Hi! My story is similar to the other two ladies, I do have HPV and was treated with laser surgery some 12 years ago. After numerous normal PAP's, mine came back this year with mild, moderate and severe dysplasia and CIS. I had a LEEP and cone and then a followup colposcopy and PAP which still indicated severe dysplasia. I opted for a hysterectomy because of the chance of recurrence and the fact that I had multiple gynological problems (cysts and masses on ovaries, fibroids, endo, enlarged uterus and on and on)

Anyway, if you are hoping to avoid a hysterctomy, you can be treated successfully with LEEPs/Cones. If your results came back as mild, it is possible that it will disappear on its on. Your gyno might suggest a followup pap or colposcopy before any other treatment to see if it does go away. When you had your LEEP last year, what grade was it (mild, moderate, severe?) If it was severe, you may be more likely to have a high risk strain of HPV and recurrence may be more likely.

Again, don't rush into a hysterectomy if you have doubts. You can be treated successfully with a LEEP and close followup. And remember, you are at a site where the majority of women have had hysterectomies to treat their dysplasia. There may be other sites out there where you may be able to get more info on alternative treatments. 90% of dysplasia cases are effectively cured with LEEPs and/or Cones. The women here are in the unfortunate 10% that weren't successful with these alternative treatments.

Good luck! And remember, no matter what treatment you choose, close monitoring in the future is incredibly important. I learned my lesson when I didn't have a pap for a few years.
Unread 11-08-2003, 10:14 PM

I don't want to be a "downer" here, but in my case, I didn't have good luck fighting off the dysplasia.

After my first abnormal Pap I had a colposcopy and a cone biopsy. Then I had a LEEP (and biospsy). The next Pap was good, but the following one was bad. Another LEEP (and biopsy). Next two Paps were good - then bad again. I would go from a CIN II on a Pap, to a CIN III when they biopsied. Mine was very aggressive. Last June my Pap came back CIN III. I'd had enough.

In my case, I am 41 and already have 4 children. I've had hormon problems and endometriosis, irregular, very heavy and extended bleeding, and major infertility problems - (even though that is hard to believe now that I have 4 children). For me it was an easy choice at this point - hysterectomy. The first several times, I just wasn't ready to take that plunge. I worried about early menopause and other things.

I am SO glad that I had my hysterectomy. I wish I would have done it sooner. My pathology report came back Carcinoma in situ - they removed it all when they took my cervix - my margins were clear. I have to go in for a Pap this month, and every three months the first year. I pray that taking out my cervix solved the issue permanently. But, even if it didn't - I am still glad I had the hysterectomy - the surgery wasn't that bad, and the benefits have been great. I don't have to wonder when the dam will let loose every 30-42 days. I don't have a day lost to such heavy bleeding that I can't be more than 10 minutes away from a bathroom. I'm saving a fortune on feminine products. I'm a newlywed, and don't have to worry about having our "honeymoon stage" interupted.

I wish you luck with defeating your dysplasia. Since yours is only mild, you've got a good chance of getting it with another LEEP. Just make sure you stay on top of it - get checked every three months until you've been clear for a year. After that you need to be checked every 6 months. Don't let it go. Catching it at a CIN I or CIN II gives you a much better chance.
Unread 11-08-2003, 11:27 PM

Sounds like there are a lot of us in the same boat here. 16 years ago I had a bad pap test that said mild dysplasia. It was treated with laser surgery and I had no problems at all (completely normal paps) until June of this year.

Since June, I had two colposcopies (neither doctor could find the dysplasia to biopsy it) and one cold knife cone biopsy, where they did confirm that I had severe dysplasia (CIN3) without clear margins. I was given the option to try another cone, but my doctor and I were convinced that another cone would not "cure" me due to the area where the bad cells were. So I opted for a hysterectomy due to that reason plus family history of cancer (ovarian, prostate, liver, etc.).

I had my TVH on 10/22 and got the pathology results back which said I had CIN3, CIS, cervical cancer, adenomyosis and two small fibroids. Wow! And to think that the only reason I now know all of this was because of a routine annual pap test, which I had to renew my prescription for birth control. I happily threw all of that out a couple of weeks ago.

So in answer to your original question, yes, mild dysplasia does not always get worse. Sometimes it goes away on its own and/or is treated in a variety of ways. I don't know if they still do laser surgery like they did for me. But I did have normal tests for a very long time after my first mild dysplasia diagnosis.
Unread 11-09-2003, 12:07 AM

I have HPV and was diagnosed with cervical cancer about 15 years ago. I had a cone biopsy which removed it all. I continued to have paps regularly and I was fine until last year when my pap came back abnormal. I had a couple of procedures to remove the bad cells and tested ok for a year after that. In May I had a TAH cervix removed. At the time, my paps were comming back normal but I was having a lot of other problems. My dr. actually wanted me to keep my cervix but I opted to have it removed because I didn't want to have any more "procedures" done or risk the chance of developing cervical cancer again. I do not have an invasive form of HPV but ended up with cervical cancer just the same, even after having regular paps, so go figure on that one. If this is the only problem you are experiencing I would definately not be considering a hysterectomy. Cervical dysplasia and even cervical cancer are highly treatable. Since you know that you are at risk, make sure that you are getting frequent pap smears. Also, keep in mind that once you have HPV, having your cervix removed does not get rid of the virus. It is still possible to develop vaginal or anal cancer from this virus, although very rare. You should continue to have annual vaginal scrapes if you have your cervix removed. If I was not having so many other problems, I would not have had a hysterectomy. The biopsys and leep procedures are nothing compared to a hysterectomy! If you do end up having to have one, relax, it is a good thing, and you'll be feeling better in no time at all. I was great for nearly 15 years after my cancer occurance, so there is a chance you could be just fine too!
Unread 11-09-2003, 05:06 PM

Dear Hopefull:

I too have had recurrent dysplasia after a LEEP (over a year ago), found by surprise on a routine colposcopy (normal paps). However, the dysplasia is either moderate or high-grade. Possibly removed during the colposcopy because it wasn't found during the cone biopsy I just had. Now, I wait...again.

Wish they could find the answer to fighting off HPV (I have never yet been tested). I take folic acid now, just in case that helps. I am in good health, no other gyn problems, which makes a hysterectomy a difficult decision. Maybe your body will be able to fight off the low grade dysplasia, which apparently can happen, so try to stay positive and stress-free, if possible.

Thinking of you.
Unread 11-09-2003, 05:24 PM

I don't want to sound ignorant..but what is HPV? I've heard alot of talk here about it, just wanted to know what it is. Thanks.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.