HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

bikini cut = pain bikini cut = pain

Unread 11-10-2003, 10:10 AM
bikini cut = pain

Hi.. I had a tah-rso lstube removed on Oct 23/03 I had a 12 week size fibroid... advanced endo and instead of an expected 1 hr operation it took him 2 1/2 hrs..

Recovery was quick and im moving with no problems... except pain.. i feel like someone is tightening the belt around my hips at every movement. I have a jelly belly and the cut is just below it.. but the doctor stapled skin to skin.. like tucking my tummy in and stapling it together.. not stapling the edges of the cut together.
I lift my belly up to see if i can see the actual cut and I can't.. I pull it up as much as i dare... there are some rough edges but i get quesy looking or thinking about it. There is a hard ridge.. . like a piece of wood and im scared. Does it loosen up over time or did he screw up somehow? i have a hard time bending and sitting straight
Help..

I had a tah rso on Oct 23.. bikini cut and instead of stapling the edges of the cut together, he stapled the jelly belly together.. isn't this wrong.. i lift my belly.. and its not a big belly.. and i cant see my cut.. its like indented and im scared. i can't lay flat in bed.. it pulls too much.. i have to sleep with a pilliw under my knees..
can anyone tell me whats normal for a bikini cut?
Unread 11-10-2003, 02:57 PM
bikini cut = pain

Hi beepbeep,

The initial recovery period for a hyst is generally accepted to be 6-8 weeks, so given your surgery date, you are still early in your recovery.

I had a bikini incision, and it was sore for a quite awhile post-operatively. I had staples which were removed at 10 days post-op. Though the staples didn't hurt, I admit that the area did feel better and less "tight" once they were out. I don't think I was as brave as you and didn't really look at my incision area during those first few weeks, so I can't really say how the area looked. By the time I was 6 weeks post-op, I could barely see the incision site and the area was smooth.

As far as bending or laying on my tummy, I wasn't ready to do that at your stage of recovery. In fact, I would strongly suggest that you not bend for a little while longer. This is the time that you need lots of and pampering.

If you are concerned that there is a problem with your incision, then please contact your Dr. to have it looked at. I didn't experience an incision problem, but others have; so getting treatment if needed would be wiser sooner than later.

Best wishes and lots of s
Unread 11-10-2003, 06:17 PM
bikini cut = pain

My bikini-line incision was exactly like you make yours sound.

You didn't say - are your staples out yet?

My staples also pulled the incision inside of where they were stapled. They put steri-tapes over the entire incision (8 inches long) right after taking the staples out. The steri-tape came off after 14 days. Only then was I able to see my incision. The holes from the staples were about an inch apart, so 1/2 inch either side was brought in for the staple. The staple holes are gone now, btw.

I am 6 weeks post-op now, and parts of my incision still feel like there are stips of wood beneath it. This is only scar tissue, and will soften in time. The places that have softened have no fold-over and is smooth, but the area in the centre, about 4 inches of skin, are still hard and still have fold-over belly. I'm told this will smooth out in time as well.

You are still in early recovery, you should not be bending over yet! I couldn't do that until some time after my 3 week mark, and sitting up straight probably won't happen until your ab muscles can handle being used again - don't try until 3 weeks.

Jenn
_________
As with all things, you should ask your doctor about this to confirm everything said here, because I could be completely wrong.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.