HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

6 weeks post hysterectomy-Pain 6 weeks post hysterectomy-Pain

Unread 11-10-2003, 12:05 PM
6 weeks post hysterectomy-Pain

First thank you, I have enjoyed reading all the posts since my surgery. My sister "dalbaby" had a hysterectomy a month before mine and had told me about the site. I'm a Registered Nurse and on September 26th I went in for a laprascopic left ovary removal. Unfortunatley, I was told, because of adhesions from 2 previous c-sections they had to do open surgery, during the surgery my left ureter (tube which connects the kidney to the bladder) was cut, also some uterine blood vessels, the result of which was that they couldn't control the bleeding and they had to do an emergency hysterectomy. I was transfused 3 units of blood and spent a day in the intensive care unit. They did repair the ureter, my stent was removed last week.
After six weeks I am feeling much better and stronger, but I'm still having pain and I don't know if it's normal. It's not incisional pain, but if I cough, sneeze, or one of the kids accidently bumps into my belly it hurts...it feels like it's all bruised inside. I do have one ovary left. I have recovered most of my energy, even though some days I'm just exhausted and in pain. I did alot of crying post -surgery, I wasn't expecting a hysterectomy and recovering has been harder than the c-sections. DH, Family, friends, have been very supportive, thank God for them. As a nurse I take care of many hysterectomy patients and now that I've had one I can give them better information on what to expect. (Also, tell them about this wonderful website. ) Thanks for listening.
Unread 11-10-2003, 02:43 PM

Linda:

I'm sorry that you've had to endure so much!! What you said about how you can now give better info to your patients is truly wonderful!

What a WONDERFUL person you are!!!!
Unread 11-10-2003, 02:54 PM

Hi Linda,

I'm sorry you had to go through so much more than you anticipated! I know that I always do better if I have time to get used to what I'm going to go through....so to have this all happen without warning must have been very discouraging! Regarding the abdominal pain....I, too, have that. I will be 6-weeks post op on Wednesday. For me, it feels bruised on the outside when I touch any of the swollen area and on the inside it hurts if I move too quickly or lay on my stomach. I'm ASSUMING it's normal because I just had my 6-week check up and the dr. cleared me to go back to normal routine. You may want to double check with your dr., though.
Good luck!
Karin
Unread 11-10-2003, 04:50 PM
Hi Linda...

First of all, let me say that I'm sorry you didn't have time to prepare yourself mentally for a hysterectomy...it is definately a challenging thing to go through, both physically and mentally. The crying you experienced is quite normal, expecially under your emergency circumstances.

As for the soreness...I had that too. Some days would be more sore than others. Be sure not to overdo things either...that just increases the sensitivity. The soreness does go away. One day you'll wake up and forget all about the soreness and you'll wonder when it stopped.

If you need any help at all please make yourself home here at hystersisters. The post-op board offers support for those in the first (approx.) 6 months. "The Road Less Travelled" is for ladies with longer-term post-op concerns and there's The Hormone Jungle and the Oasis (for alternatives to HRT) Please feel free to jump in anywhere you want to. We've also got misc. boards like chatter to talk about other things that don't pertain to our hysters( sometimes a girl just needs to chat, you know what I mean?)

Please be sure to rest. You're body is still healing.

Rita
Unread 11-11-2003, 10:40 AM

I had my TAH on 9-24. Although I have healed well and have returned to work, I do still experience some of the same type of pain you were referring to. It feels like things are still very bruised and pulled inside. Some days its more than others. I find myself walking around holding my abdomen a lot. My doctor told me that she really had pull and maneuver things around to get to what she needed and I just assume it's from that. It seems to be less and less as time goes on. I didn't go through nearly what you did, so I'm guessing that what you're feeling is probably normal, too.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway