HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Colon Resection, Incisional Hernia, Adhesion Surgery Colon Resection, Incisional Hernia, Adhesion Surgery

Unread 11-10-2003, 07:14 PM
Colon Resection, Incisional Hernia, Adhesion Surgery

Hi Ladies

Once again, I come with a question. Some of you are familiar with the problems I have had after the hysterectomy and I thank each of you who have been there for me.

After many months of pain, and finally finding a doctor who could determine a diagnosis, I now have a surgery date for a colon resection, incisional hernia repair, and adhesions.
This Friday, November 14th.

Have any of you been through a colon resection? I am terrified, my surgeon explained the procedure, but now there are so many thoughts/questions going on in my head.
(I am making a list to ask when I check into the hospital).
I recently learned I would have a tube inserted from my nose to my colon for a couple of days, that is freaking me out.
I am also unsure of the diet I will be on afterwards. Will I need someone to stay with me when I get home for a few days?
Is the recovery similar to the hysterectomy?

If any of you have any experience with this surgery and its recovery would you please give me your insight?

On top of this, my father is in the hospital waiting on a amputation of his foot (diabetes related) and he also had a light stroke this past weekend.
My sister will also have surgery this Friday for rectal bleeding.

When it rains, it pours.

I am so thankful to have this website, it has helped me so much since my hysterectomy.
Thanks for being there and would you please keep my family in your prayers?

Carol

TAH, Bladder Sling, 4-16-03
Diverticulitis, Incisional hernia, Adhesions
Unread 11-10-2003, 07:37 PM

Hi Carol, I used to come here all the time, but havent been for a while. Something told me to come tonight and your post is the first I saw. I had a colon resection 7 months ago and my hysterectomy was in Jan 2002. I know you are scared out of your pants, but trust me, you wont even know what is going on!! I had an epidural for pain control after my surgery and I couldnt feel a thing. The next day I was up walking the halls! As far as the NG tube, that really freaked me out thinking about that BEFORE the surgery... thats all I could think about. But the waiting is the worst and you wont even KNOW you have the NG tube in. Taking it out is no big deal at all either. Trust me... I am the worlds biggest weenie, and if I can do this so can you!!! Surferbabe also had a colon resection the same time I did and she should be along to help you also. I was fine when i got home... I just laid around on the sofa or in my bed and recovered. Be glad you are getting it all done before the holidays so you wont have to worry about it. If you need to talk, < Admin note; Private email addy removed to protect privacy of member> pls use email features under username. Take care, Jody
Unread 11-11-2003, 12:24 AM

Hi Carol! You've come to the right place.... both (((Jody))) and I have had colon resections earlier this year .... here are my thoughts on the questions you asked (for tons more details, you can do a search for my posts in this forum using the words "colectomy" or "diverticulitis"):

Quote:
I recently learned I would have a tube inserted from my nose to my colon for a couple of days, that is freaking me out.
Yep, it freaked me out too. I woke up with the NG tube, plus a Foley catheter, plus two IV's (one in each arm) and a central line (goes in through the neck and down to the heart). The NG tube is used to suction out anything that might be in your stomach because they don't want anything passing through what's left of your bowel just yet. You will likely be on IV nourishment and NPO (nothing by mouth) for at least a day or two. That was a real hard part of the surgery for me... my mouth got parched. It was a while before I was even allowed ice chips to soothe the dryness. I wouldn't say the NG tube is painful but for me, I found it somewhat annoying. It didn't hurt coming out, just felt a little weird, and it was an immense relief to get it out of there.

Quote:
I am also unsure of the diet I will be on afterwards.
As I mentioned, I was not even allowed ice chips for a couple of days. Then only ice chips, then sips of tea, then finally at four days post op I was allowed a liquid diet. The next day I was home and allowed to eat anything I wanted except for nuts and seeds (because of having had diverticulitis), and after a month that restriction was lifted too. I even had Thai food a couple of nights after I got home... my DR thought I was crazy but I was craving something, anything with a little FLAVOR, you know? And I did OK with it.

Quote:
Will I need someone to stay with me when I get home for a few days?
Yes, I think that is a good idea. I didn't feel up to much of anything when I first got home (except of course posting here, which I had to limit because sitting upright was very uncomfortable). I don't have family nearby, but I was lucky enough to have two of my fellow hostesses come stay with me to help me out, one while I was at the castle and one when I got home for a couple of days; then my brother flew out to stay with me for a few more days. By the time he left, I was just over a week post op and could manage OK (albeit slowly) by myself except needing some help lifting things.

Quote:
Is the recovery similar to the hysterectomy?
IMHO, no. For me (everyone's experience is different), it has been much longer and more difficult than my recovery from the hyst. However, to qualify that, I need to mention that my hyst was a TVH, and my colon surgery ended up involving the removal of over 3 feet of my colon (the planned resection was to be much smaller) as well as taking down some adhesions. I am seven months post op now and pretty much doing what I did before the surgery, but still not feeling 100% or moving at 'full speed'.

You might want to discuss your options for pain management with your DR prior to the surgery. I had not been happy with the morphine PCA I had after my hyst... so this time, the first day or so I had IV dilaudid with dilaudid in the PCA; then switched to shots of toradol in my central line (as far as I am concerned the central line is a wonderful thing, it enables the nurses to give you your pain meds while you're sleeping without disturbing you) along with dilaudid in the PCA. The toradol worked well for me and kept my head clear so I hardly used the dilaudid PCA. After two days we disconnected the PCA and I was on toradol in the central line until I was discharged. When I went home I only used Vioxx for ten days, then an occasional Motrin 800 after that.

I'm assuming your DR also gave you very specific pre op bowel prep instructions. The whole bowel prep and not being allowed to eat thing was hard for me, but I know it's very very important with this surgery for you to be completely cleaned out before the surgery. Knowing I was 'doing my part' to ensure a positive outcome made that part of it a little easier.

I hope this gets you started... I'm sure you'll have plenty more questions as the day gets closer. Feel free to ask away!

Good luck with the surgery... we're here to support you any time you need to talk, OK?
s,
-Linda
Unread 11-11-2003, 06:53 AM

Carol, Boy did you come to the right place! I'm so glad you've already been given a lot of advice about your surgery. As far as all the family problems, I can relate to that. There were many issues going on in my family at the time I was scheduled for surgery (I even had to cancel it) but I truly believe the old adage "God doesn't give us more than we can handle". My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. Good luck with all of your surgeries and keep us informed. Hugs to all. Trish

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.