HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

has anyone had bladder tie up done with their hyst? has anyone had bladder tie up done with their hyst?

Unread 11-15-2003, 04:32 PM
has anyone had bladder tie up done with their hyst?

happy, i dont want to sound bitter or upset but after reading all those posts just now about that bladder tie up, i am 100% freaked out and i do not want this done i think i would rather just not have this done and just have my hysterectomy and deal with peeing my pants when i laugh, sneeze, run, bend etc. than go thru cathing and not peein! i hope this doesnt sound too bitter but i am scared enough of the hysterectomy alone than both surgeries. but i am very grateful for all your help and advice !!!!!it does mean alot to me! thanks , susan
Unread 11-15-2003, 05:40 PM

Just to say that I don't think you should be put off by the other posts as I think the bladder neck suspension, if this is what you mean can be successful. I had mine about 5 months ago and like you before hand would wet myself when running, sneezing, laughing, shouting (!) almost anything but had just convinced myself that it was one of those things I had to deal with after my four deliveries and last very large son . But when I found out that I had CIN III six months ago and so had to have a hyst decided to go for the bladder neck suspension too and you know it's fantastic to know that I'm not going to wet myself all the time. I can't believe what I put up with really for all those years. Just before my hyst I was out in town with my two eldest sons, teenagers. One of them told me a funny story and I started to laugh and started to pee and just knew I couldn't stop. It really made me think enough is enough. I haven't regretted having it done. To be honest my vagina looks very different after surgery, I had perineal repairs too and it looks as if I have a small rectocele although I am not suffering form any of the rectocele symptoms. I tell you this because I have read that sometimes the Burch procedure can result in weakness in other parts of the vagina which will then prolapse. I don't regret having this done but am beginning to think that in a way one exchanges one set of problems for another but at least, for now, I do not have stress incontinence. Don't know if this will help - talk to your doc. Best of luck Debs
Unread 11-15-2003, 06:05 PM

Susan,

I understand your fears. However I have heard many good outcomes with bladder suspensions. I am headed in for a second surgery after being 2 weeks post op I developed a rectocele, cystocele, enterocele, and vaginal prolapse, now I am 8 weeks post opt and in a lot of pain and I am still not able to work because of it. This surgery will be twice as long and I will have a lifting restriction also but I tell you what I would rather take the restrictions than having everything fall out. My suggestion is if you have to have this bladder suspension than have it the same time as your hyst or you may end up going through what I am now. Good luck to you and keep me posted on how you do. You can PM me anytime if you need to vent. Hugs

TAH kept left ovary. Do not regret surgery it took away the problems but have to have some repairs to be back on my feet. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I will be losing my remaining ovary. Does not want to work.
Unread 11-15-2003, 06:19 PM
bladder suspension

Hi stressed...i am scheduled to have a hysterectomy and what they call the sparc (bladder tie up) on dec. 22... my mom and my older sister both had the sparc done recently and they both love it and wish they had done it long ago...unfortunately my uterus is putting pressure on my bladder so they have to remove it...i am looking very forward to the long term advantages to having this done...the idea of being able to run with my kids or do jumping jacks with the kids i work with is something im really excited about...i just feel im going to be a more active person when i dont have to worry about wetting myself! I hope you keep in touch after your surgery...i would like to know how it goes for you...good luck!!
Unread 11-15-2003, 06:32 PM

hey gooey, thank you soo much for your reassuring advice and response to my thread! all i have been reading is horror stories to this surgery and to be honast with ya it scares the you know what out of me! but then again, i am really tired of wettin myself and tellin my 3 boys that i cant play with them or jump on the trampoline or anything! and worse im havin trouble potty trainin my 4 yr old at night and he says well you pee u pants too momma! hes right! well, thanks again and ill def. keep in touch with ya!!!!!susan
Unread 11-16-2003, 12:34 AM

Susan, I had a tvh and bladder sling procedure done on 10/22/03. I'm about 3 1/2 wks out and doing GREAT! The surgery that I had done is the tvt procedure. You can go look at http://www.thepelvicfloor.com and see what all the procedure involves. It is a relatively simple procedure. When I told my OBGYN about my urinary incontinence issues, he sent me to a urologist to get it confirmed. The urologist did some simple tests. I had to have my bladder full, and then while I was on his exam table, he had me cough hard, so he could see if I was leaking, how much, how much prolapse I had going on, etc. Then they had me empty my bladder and did a bladder scan, to see if I was emptying all the way. He told me that I had classic symptoms and he thought that the tvt procedure would help a lot.

When I had my surgery, the obygyn did my vaginal hysterectomy--taking the uterus, cervix and tubes, but leaving my ovaries. Then the urologist did his part. I had a catheter until the next morning, but was able to urinate before I left the hospital that afternoon. That night, I felt like I had to pee every hour. I later found out that is a result of the catheter, and your body readjusting to the feel of a "full bladder". I was also drinking a lot of water. :-)

Since then, everything has been great. I went to the store last Thursday on my way home from the doctor--walked around Walmart for 30 min, and even sneezed and didn't wet my pants! I was *SO HAPPY* ! There are *happy endings* with this procedure too.

I had a great check up with both doc's at my 2 wk check. My obgyn cleared me for resuming all normal activities slowly. Said that my recovery is great--no scarring, etc. My urologist said he was *very* encouraged by my progress. He wants me to continue to rest for the remaining 4 wks though--light activity, no lifting, pulling, pushing, or intercourse for the full 6 wk recovery period, and THEN start back resuming normal activities slowly if everything still looks this good. I'm definitely encouraged and glad I made this choice!

{{{{HUGS}}}} as you make your choice!
Unread 11-16-2003, 01:48 AM

I don't know now what procedure was used, but when I had my tubal ligation back in 1973 my surgeon also did a bladder and uterine tack.

The afternoon of surgery was uncomfortable, I SWORE I had to piddle and begged the nurse to cath me, she finally did two different times and both times there was barely any urine so it obviously was just the irritation from the tack. That night I finally went on my own and from then on it was HEAVEN! I couldn't believe how long I could go between "pit stops" and how much my bladder actually could hold!

I don't even want to try to count the tons of dog food I've moved since then 50 lbs at a time. Or bales of hay, or 50 lbs bags of horse feed. To say nothing of the sheets of dry wall whilst we were building our house. That 30 year old bladder tack is still holding strong! Whatta surgeon!
Unread 11-16-2003, 08:49 AM

kim, your story was absolutely remarkable and sooo inspiring and when i read your success story it made me feel like ,ok there are good results and outcomes so i really need to think more possitive and think of the results of woman like yourself! thank you sooo much for your great story, it has really helped me and changed my thinking on this issue! i will talk to my dr. more about all of this and keep you and your story in my thoughts always! susan
Unread 11-16-2003, 09:12 AM

stressed, I'm so sorry I scared you with that one link. I really didn't read the whole thing before posting it. I was trying to find some information on urodynamics and that one link was on the same search. I wanted you to be aware of what can happen if you have something done that may not be needed. Like one woman who just had to do exercises to strengthen the muscles. All women with incontinence don't necessarily have to have bladder work. I was recommending you get another opinion with a urologist because they specialize in this area. They can do certain tests to see if this would be needed. I thought I was going to need something done so my gyn referred me to a urologist and he was able to do an in office procedure. Bladder tack is not the only way surgery can be done to prevent incontinence. I've heard of TVT and have seen some pretty good results. A urologist would know more what's right for you and can go over options (TVH, Burch, sling, tack, kegels,...etc...) if you need anything done. Don't worry you didn't sound bitter. There are good and bad outcomes of surgery and I wanted you to be aware of some things like how important it is to get another opinion. I think I remember seeing one sister on that link that said something along the lines of she wished she had gone to a urologist instead of having her gyn do her surgery and was having to have the bladder tack undone. I'm glad the others posted with good outcomes. As far as the my TVH it was one of the best things I've ever done. Surgery was a piece of cake and my recovery went really well. I did pamper myself and rested as I knew I only had one chance to heal right
Unread 11-16-2003, 09:18 AM

i understand and i know you were just trying to help me and get me to get more opinions and advice on all of this! and it did help me in more ways than one i have heard a ton of stories good and bad and i know now i need to think more possitive for one and i will talk all this over with my dr., she is going to have a urologist spec. stand in on the surgery as well, that reassures me as well! i am glad to hear that all of your surgery, went well and you are doing great! i did appreciate all your advice, i guess i just freak out really easy and panic too much! thanks again for everything, susan

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.