HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

prolapse surgery date, Catheter use???? At home prolapse surgery date, Catheter use???? At home

Unread 11-14-2003, 06:11 PM
prolapse surgery date, Catheter use???? At home

My date is Dec 1 for vaginal Hysterectomy possible removal of uterus and possible repair of cystocele. My friend who had similar operation just told me she was sent home for over a week with a catheter. She had to empty and clean it. This just blows my mind!!!!!! Have any of you been sent home with a catheter???? I always though they made sure you could pass urine on your own before having you leaving the hospital. I was feeling fine till getting this news.
Unread 11-14-2003, 06:50 PM

Hi (((hanna))) I came home with a Foley catheter for a week after my TVH/BSO/A&P repair. We all get a catheter during surgery (we're under anesthesia when it's inserted), and usually it is removed by the morning after the surgery... sometimes sooner for some gals.

My catheter was removed the morning after my TVH (BTW removing it does not hurt). I tried all day but could not pass urine, and my bladder swelled up huge before they finally reinserted the catheter. At that point they watched me overnight and then sent me home with instructions on how to care for and remove the catheter myself.

It is not as big a deal as we all fear to go home with a catheter. The up side was, I got more sleep because I wasn't constantly getting up to use the bathroom. The down side was that it limits your wardrobe options but actually during the first week you really should only be in pj's or sweats anyway.

The reason for keeping the catheter for some of us is that the area around the urethra is so swollen from the surgery that the urethra is pinched closed so no urine can pass. Having the catheter allows the urine to drain, plus buys time for the swelling to go down. Once I removed the catheter after a week, things worked fine in that area. I had to retrain my bladder to go a little longer between visits to the bathroom, but it wasn't anything unmanageable.

JMHO, but if you need to have the catheter, you will be glad you have it. (There is a none too flattering photo of me wearing mine under my slacks in my photo gallery on this site.)

Good luck with your surgery!
s,
-Linda
Unread 11-15-2003, 07:41 AM
catheter use????

Thanks so much for the input. At least I can have some hope that I may not have to have one but your info was really great. So wonderful to have people like yourself out there who will take the time to answer. God bless you.
Unread 11-15-2003, 07:52 AM
catheter??

Hi Hanna
My dr said too that I might end up with a catheter...not that I want one but I'm hoping it won't be so bad. I'd do it just to get rid of this prolapse. I've been waiting several years because of my job, but plan on having mine done in Jan.
Everyone says we'll feel so much better not having all that haning down there!! Yea!!
Prayers for your surgery!
Unread 11-15-2003, 09:00 AM

AAAHHHH, the catheter subject!!! My doctor has also said that I would have to have my friend 'Foley' along for up to two weeks post op and then possibly I will need to self-cath for up to a month. The foley does not trouble me very much, I've had plenty of catheters put in while awake, and I know some sisters dread the thought, but I just think it's a bit uncomfortable going in, once it's in place, no big deal. What DOES bother me is the self-catheterization that I may have to do. But like everything else, I'll do it if it will help ensure post op success!! Part of the reason to do it is so your bladder does not become too full/distended and damage or put undue stress on the repairs. I hope this helps, even if it's knowing you're not the only one!!!!

Rachel
Unread 11-15-2003, 12:56 PM
prolapse catheter use

I never heard of self catheter, it used to be they were very dangerous to use because the risk of infection was so high. They always seem to cut cost at the patients expense. Sometimes I wonder if I should just go on like I have but that is not being too bright. I wish you all well and we are all different so lets just keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. Wonder what they did in the old days??? I have heard of reports of women in the bush in third world countrys haveing large prolapses hanging down so it is a problem that has been around for ages.
Unread 11-15-2003, 01:06 PM

I am having a TVH (well, that's what I'm told, but reading here, it looks like things can change!) and a bladder sling (TVT tape), cystocele and rectocele repairs...on Nov. 18. After readinga bout coming home with catheter and a"pee bags," I asked my urologist if I would have a catheter when I came home, and he said "no." Just like that. No explanation, no ifs, ands or buts. So, I don't know what to think. I thought I'd let you know what my dr. told me...maybe you won't have to worry about it, after all? Or maybe he said that so I wouldn't worry? Good luck,
Miniroadster
Unread 11-15-2003, 01:44 PM
catheter

dear Jo, i can imagine how you feel, i was horified when recently the night before my hysterectomy, my Doc informed me that i would have a catheter fitted as routine. He explained that it was to 'give the bladder a rest' after being moved during surgery. I was horrified it was my worst nightmare, somthing i had always dreaded. Having lived the experience 3 days it was attatched, i can honestly say it was nowhere near the nightmare i expected!
It gave me more rest during the night, was not uncomfortable, a little cumbersome, coz you have to carry it round with you. Coming out no probs- i feared the worst but no a slight feeling of somthing pressing on you very gently though.
Emptying no probs, it really is a case of fearing the unknown. Good luck to you it will all be over before you know it! I am comong up to 2 weeks ups n downs doin ok. Take care now lovve jules XXXXX
Unread 11-15-2003, 05:39 PM

i too am having this surgery ya'll talkin about and im just not too sure about all of this anymore! i know i can deal with my hysterectomy well because i have to but this bladder tape thing has gotten me very worried and scared and i do not like catheters at all and every one i have ever had hurt me and was very uncomfortable maybe im just a big baby i dunno but i do know i am not lokin forward to any of this come dec 2nd my surgery date! susan
Unread 11-16-2003, 07:34 AM
being scared

Hi susan, maybe because I am 66 I am really not scared but just anoyed at having to deal with all the aftermath of everything. Its tough to have to depend on others. But they say time heals everything. This is something we just have to go thru as best as we can and get on with life. I know it is not easy for everyone. I read of the women who worry about having to get back to work, pets and children to take care of. I am at lest thankfull for not having any of that but we all have our inner fears. I have no quick answers except to just be tough and strong and think of the future and feeling better. Personally I am going to come thru this with flying colors as I have the daughter-in-law from hell and she is not going to get rid of me just yet.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.