HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

no ovaries no estrogen what will happen to me now? no ovaries no estrogen what will happen to me now?

Unread 11-15-2003, 10:02 AM
no ovaries no estrogen what will happen to me now?

I am 5 weeks post op from a TAH. I am very concerned about my body not producing collagen and aging very quickly now. I turned 40 recently and don't want to plummet suddenly in my skin elasticity. I am really scared.

I am not as worried about the calcium as I can provide more intake of calcium into my diet and that should solve that, right?

I am very interested in what else the removal of ovaries can cause and what I can do to prevent negative circumstances.

Does anyone know what could be done loosing collagen production?

My doctor doesn't really want to put me on HRT due to my former endometric tumor was caused by estrogen.

Thank you.

Joy (Fantasywisp)
Unread 11-15-2003, 04:08 PM

Hi Joy,

First, a couple of questions. You say you had a TAH - you apparently also had a BSO, right? (bilateral salpingo oopherectomy - both ovaries removed)

You ask about collagen - hmmm, can't say I've ever read that collagen production ceases when you have ovaries removed. The concerns I've read about here over the past 2+ years when ovaries are removed are: no estrogen, progesterone, or testosterone and concerns about menopausal symptoms (hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings) and bone loss. Some gals also find their blood pressure increases after a hyst and some find their cholesterol levels change after a hyst.

Increasing your calcium intake is important (or taking a calcium supplement) but you also need to get some weight bearing exercise as soon as you're past the early post op period. Brisk walking is a great choice and working out with weights is helpful too. These activites will help you build bone mass and regular exercise also has benefits for things like blood pressure, heart health, etc.

I know it's scary in the early post op period. You don't really know how much your body might change without hormones. I had my TAH/BSO 2 years ago and I can tell you that I'm in better shape now than I have been in years. My skin is not losing it's elasticity (no more than from normal aging, anyway) and I'm not "drying up" as some women fear. I may be one of the lucky ones, but I'm also pretty determined to work hard at keeping this body in good shape after years of pain prior to my hyst. It's great to be able to do things without the constant pain.

Keep reading and asking questions. And be sure to review your questions about collagen (?) with your doc at your next follow up appointment.

Beth
Unread 11-15-2003, 06:32 PM

Thank you for your information, Beth.
And yes, I had a BSO. I didn't even know what that had standed for in the past!
I appreciate the valuable info. And I have an appointment with an endrocrinologist next Wednesday. Thank you for the reassurance, especially with the skin elasticity.
I think I will be looking into signing up at a gym for weight lifting.

Joy
Unread 11-17-2003, 06:42 PM

My skin didn't lose elasticity. I'm almost 55 and don't have a ton of wrinkles and am not 'drying up' either. I use Oil of Olay or anything without mineral oil, which can actually cause problems. I really wouldn't worry about that aspect of menopause!

I am very interested in what else the removal of ovaries can cause

It can cause you not to worry about ovarian cancer!!

(I know, there still is a very small chance of it, but it's very, very rare!)
Unread 11-18-2003, 09:48 AM

HI Ladies, Ive been reading the threads for a week now and finally found my way<I think>. My concerns are normal i guess, I am 4 weeks post-op TAH/BSO adhesions, endo, adnemyosis fibroids. The whole gammet for the past 20 years. The hysterc was a god send when we decided it was the only step left so i thought. I know every woman is different but ive had no experience dealing with prescription hormones so im a little apprehensive about using them, but my symptoms are coming fast and furious so im thinking i do need to start something because i do have to return to work for a few weeks before christmas break. The feeling of confusion is pretty much taken over. Every thread i read i find more info, so ive made a call to my GYN to see what he has to say. thanks for listening ans helping you all are wonderful!
Kathy
Unread 11-18-2003, 10:14 AM

Hi Kathy and welcome

Glad you found us! You don't mention your age, but that and your family history (along with your symptoms) are important considerations when it comes to HRT decisions. I'm glad that you plan to speak with your gyn about this. Let us know what he/she has to say and what you decide.

Sending hugs your way.

Beth
Unread 11-18-2003, 12:18 PM

Beth, Hi and thank you Im 43 , almost 44 in january. Just heard from my doctor and hes prescribed a synthetic estrogen. I have an appt on Dec 5th so they will make any changes need at that time. Thanks for the input!
Kathy

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.