HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Is 100 mg. of compounded progesterone cream too much? Is 100 mg. of compounded progesterone cream too much?

Unread 10-06-2000, 12:42 PM
Is 100 mg. of compounded progesterone cream too much?

I just picked up my first prescription of compounded progesterone cream yesterday. Thanks to this site, I figured out my dosage (1 gm. 2 x per day) is 100 mg. per day. Is that a lot for cream that's applied transdermally? I know the oral progesterone is 100 mg. per day, and I thought the reasoning for that is because a lot of it is broken down in the liver when it's swallowed. I thought Dr. Lee's book recommended 15-20 mg. per day, but I found when I was using the OTC creams at this dosage that it didn't do a whole lot for me. Any thoughts?

(BTW, I'm taking 1 mg. Estrace per day along with this. Just started this new regimen and HOPE it works!)

Thanks!
Unread 10-06-2000, 12:56 PM

Hello! I too take 1 mg of Estrace at night and I am using 3% of the progresterone cream - I am not sure how to figure the mgs - Is your dosage prescribed in mgs?
Unread 10-06-2000, 01:30 PM

Yes -- I figured out by following the thread shown below that my dosage is 50 mg. per dose, and I'm supposed to take it 2 x per day.

http://www.hystersisters.com/forums/...?threadid=2335

I'm a little concerned that is too much -- it seems like a lot to me.
Unread 10-06-2000, 02:12 PM

I think the jury is out on progesterone dosages. I think some of us need that much. Others need only 10-20mg, where others can't seem to tolerate any at all. From what we have learned here I think it is wise to start with a low dose and take a wait and see approach. You can always take more at a later date. The danger in starting at the higher dose and working back is that it seems it often builds up in our systems and can take a long time to clear once we are overloaded. I think I would ask Lauren this question and also the other sisters who have been using the cream...what doses are working for them. You are so wise to question. Not many doctors will even prescribe progesterone cream and the ones that do sometimes don't have a lot of experience.
good luck to you
Unread 10-06-2000, 03:17 PM

My doctor is very into compounded HRT including progesterone and my RX is for 200 mg per day (don't faint). I take 100 mg in the morning and 100 mg in the afternoon....all sublingual (so none is lost in the digestive tract)

Yes, I need this much apparently. WIthout it, I'm a mess.

And so, it is hard to know how much a person might need without trying it.

Some doctors don't know anything about the benefits of progesterone...and some know some. There are doctors out there that are up on the latest in findings and dosages but it seems to be as varied as the individual.

Give it a try. Let it stabilize. And then you will know if it is too much, too little or just right. ;-)

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.