Back from urodynamics - anyone else have nerve damage? | Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back from urodynamics - anyone else have nerve damage? Back from urodynamics - anyone else have nerve damage?

Unread 11-21-2003, 09:38 PM
Back from urodynamics - anyone else have nerve damage?

Hello ladies - I have endured urodynamics today, and I am thankfully reporting that I do not have an overcorrected bladder and do not need more surgery. However, I do not have normal bladder sensation and I do not empty my bladder when I think I did. It's nerve damge, I'm told, and I need to retrain my bladder to go every 4 hours. I have incontinence at times, and the odctor thinks I am just staying full and havbeing bladder spasms. SO, anyone out here have this? It seems very strange to me - is there any hopeof this training thing working? I am doubtful.
Please give your insights.
Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2003, 12:31 AM
Nerve damage also

Except mine was diagnosed before surgery. In fact she wouldn't operate until I had an evaluation including MRI done by a neurologist. He couldn't find out the cause of the nerve damage. Since the surgery, it has worsen. I don't feel any sensations of a full bladder, and sometimes it is slow in starting. I have been usually emptying OK (better than before surgery, since I had a very large prolapse). I have been taught how to self catherized, so if my bladder doesn't empty, I don't get into a crisis situation. I don't have the big"o" anymore, but on occasion a feint small "o". I really miss that.

It has been 5 1l/2 months since my surgery. Everything went well for 5 months, then I managed somehow, to cause another rectocele. Now I have another large bulge into my vagina and facing another surgery.

Levanah
Unread 11-23-2003, 11:21 PM

((Sue)),
I'm so sorry you are dealing w/ more problems I have not experienced Nerve damage of the bladder but I do have damaged nerves in my vaginal cuff (caused by my Hyst), arm & shoulder. I also wanted to share some info I found w/ you concerning *Bladder retraining*, there are 2 sites that have instruction sheets to help

Bladder retraining instructions:
http://www.wdxcyber.com/retraining.htm

Bladder Retraining:
http://www.ichelp.com/TreatmentAndSe...ngProgram.html

http://www.fpnotebook.com/URO38.htm

Bladder retraining instruction sheet:
http://www.sgsonline.org/edpi001.html

bladder retraining and biofeedback:
http://www.overactivebladder.pnu.ca/...etraining.html

There have been others who have had success w/ this, hopefully they will drop by shortly & share their own personal experiences

Good Luck...I do hope it is able to bring you some answers & relief to all you suffer Pls keep us posted....(((hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2003, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the websites...

but they do not address my problem, they are more for an overactive bladder. Mine is an UNDERACTIVE bladder. I have NO urge or sense of fullness. I have done bladder training, but a different one. I have "timed" emptings, I am to empty my bladder every 2 to four hours. I can go for hours and hours without the urge to go pee. Like tonight, I was at a meeting after work, and forgot to go. Thought about it when the meeting ended, then got distracted. Walked through the mall, then walked home. Then decided to go pee when I realised that it had been 10 hours since the last time I went pee. (and still only had a slight urge). This may sound desirable, but urine retention can cause kidney damage or kidney stones. Sometimes the only indication that I need to go pee, is when I dribble. Then I know my bladder is full.
Unread 11-26-2003, 06:50 PM

I've been on the schedule process and it's working better than I thought it would. Thanks for the links - the doctor just doesn't have the time to explain this process, and I have more hope of it working out (the retraining) after reading those links.
Sue
Unread 11-28-2003, 03:04 PM

Hi Sue

I too endured an urodynamic test a few weeks back, my bladder fills up fine but empties slow, and when they put the catheter in oh my did that hit a sore spot, they think I have a dmaged uretha possibly damaged during hyst.

I hope you can get sorted I will post the outcome of my follow up appointment after 17th december.

Take care

Jane

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register