HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

6cm cyst on left ovary 6cm cyst on left ovary

Unread 11-23-2003, 06:56 AM
6cm cyst on left ovary

I all....I've been gone for a long while. I dont know the abbreviations...but I had a hysterectomy 2001, but left both ovaries. I recently was having severe pain on my right side. Probably a level 10 type pain. It subsided after an hour or two. So I went to my GP and they had me do an US which showed a 6cm cyst on my left ovary which appeared to be solid. So they sent me in 2 days later for a CT scan. The report from that states....Approximately 6cm septated left adnexal mass which may arise from the left ovary and be due to a cystic neoplasm such as cystadenoma/cystadenocarcinoma. It also mentioned an 8mm (which is small) cyst in my right kidney.

Anyways, my GP sent me back to my gyn/onc who did the hster and even though according to him the CT report suggests that the cyst is complex and solid he believes that it is not. That we should just wait for it to go away. He also mentioned that the cyst in my kidney was there but that it was nothing.

I have another US scheduled for DEC2nd. I'm not sure what I should do. Should I just trust that he knows what he is talking about? Should I ask him for orders for the blood test CA125??
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. I feel like I'm going crazy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Maria
Unread 11-23-2003, 10:06 AM
6cm cyst on left ovary

I had my TVH in July 2001. Right around the same time as you! Also for Cin3.

Just this past month, i had cyst on my right ovary. It resolved, but I didn't ask for path report. Hmmm guess I should.

I also had a followup ultrasound one month later. I see my gyn in Jan for pap...I wonder if i should ask her about the ca 125 too.

Hmmmm, just wondering the same things you are. Isn't it a coincidence that we both had our surgery at the same time, and now this??
Unread 11-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Well, since you asked...

If that Dec. 2 ultrasound is the same, I would ask to see another gyn/onc immediately. This is too cavalier--ask for a second opinion and tell that doctor your concerns over what the radiologist said. And yes, I would ask for a CA125 and if this Dr. asks why--the combination of a pelvic/rectal exam, the US, AND the CA125 are basics when there could be cancer possibilities. Also, kidney cysts aren't uncommon but you could check with a urologist to be sure. I'd go for a second opinion for sure and ASAP! Hey--these doctors work for YOU--and if you're hesitant or not sure--you can fire and hire!
Unread 11-23-2003, 01:55 PM
6cm cyst on left ovary

s Maria

I completely support Margaret's excellent advice.
The words solid and septated are not to be ignored.
Unfortunately with ovarian cancer, it takes a biopsy to know for certain.
Stay in touch.

karenann
Unread 11-24-2003, 06:59 AM
6cm cyst on left ovary

Maria,

In premenopausal women cysts are pretty common. Solid ones considerably less common (did you have endo? - residual endo can make solid looking cysts).

"Waiting" is way too vague an action plan. I did initially have a "watch and wait" plan for my cyst. However the watching part was quite intense - 2 ultrasounds a month with a CA-125 draw timed for ovulation and then during my period. After just 4weeks of this the "watching" lead to the conclusion that "waiting" was ill advised - cyst wasn't going away and the ca-125 wasn't fluctuating - it was going up (it can fluctuate with ones menstrual cycle a bit).

So it you get advice to "wait" - ask for a watching and decision plan. Ovca boards are filled with women who had inconclusive symptoms and tests for years

Dorrie
Unread 12-02-2003, 04:23 PM
6cm cyst on left ovary

You know, laparoscopy would enable the dr to take a look, which is the only way you find out some of these things. CA-125 can be so unreliable.

I had a complex cyst on my left ovary (solid + liquid) that we watched for two years. Then my doc put me on birth control pills and scared me to death with the "C" word when it didn't shrink. My CA-125 was 40 (high end at our lab is 35). But she really scared me to death worrying about cancer.

Turned out I had a MASSIVE case of endo. But what I learned gathering information during those tense weeks is that if it is cancer, you don't want to wait around with it.

Come to think of it, there is a Doppler ultrasound that can be done that can give some good clues whether to worry or not. Mine showed non-malignant characteristics, which is the point at which everybody took a deep breath and relaxed.

Maybe you want to ask for this to be done.
Unread 12-03-2003, 01:01 AM
6cm cyst on left ovary

Maria:

You've gotten some excellent advice around here. You may need to go to laparoscopy if the mass is unchanged, especially if you wind up with an elevated CA-125. They can be elevated with complex cysts in extreme endo (my case being an excellent example) but either way I'd be uncomfortable with "wait and see".

A doppler study would be able to see if there is blood flow to or in the mass and the cyst, but it must be done by someone who is used to doing these complex studies, particularly where the mass itself or the surgical history can distort the anatomy somewhat (scar tissue can be pretty misleading on ultrasound sometimes). Even then, I'd be pressuring my GYN-oncologist for some answers -- and I'd also be looking for another opinion if you can't get some progress after this next ultrasound.

It's easy for me to say, "don't worry" but I've been in your shoes (in fact, I'm there now with a bad Pap smear and positive HPV). I hope your ultrasound went well today, and didn't leave you in too much pain!

Audrey
Unread 12-03-2003, 10:25 AM
6cm cyst on left ovary

My Doppler was done at a teaching hospital, where they have an expert for everything, it seems.

I felt I received excellent care there. And they made payment arrangements!! Yea!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.