HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

blood transfusion? blood transfusion?

Unread 11-27-2003, 04:19 PM
blood transfusion?

Did anyone else have to have a blood transfusion after surgery and how did that effect your recovery?
Unread 11-27-2003, 04:31 PM
blood transfusion?

Hi kchap10

I'm not a DR, but I would have thought, that if it was an exact match (and not an emergency transfusion) it should not really hamper your recovery.

My friend (who incidentally is a DR!) had to have an emergency transfusion, because it was not an EXACT match, she has had bad arthritic joints eversince, to the extent that she has to take brufen most days - even 5 years after the transfusion .. this is an exception and not the rule. It did not hamper her recovery, BUT did cause other bone/joint problems. I guess this is one of the reasons why are pre-op visit is SO important ...

Toni
Unread 11-27-2003, 05:23 PM
blood transfusion

I did not have one after my surgery even tho my hemogoblin was low, but I did have one in September when I hemorraged. Thankfully they took the time to cross match it and I received the right type. I had no ill effects from it but they said it would make me lightheaded. My surgery was the same day as yours (monday) and I am just home from the castle today. Sent my DH to the store because he is driving me crazy. Walking, walking , walking, to dispel the gas. Will be so glad to get the staples out on Monday. Had great staff at the castle and am feeling quite spolied. Hope your recovery goes well. XO
Unread 11-27-2003, 05:39 PM
blood transfusion?

I was cross matched when I got to the hospital but didn't need a transfusion. I wouldn't think it would make much difference in your recovery.
Unread 11-27-2003, 06:36 PM
blood transfusion?

Last May, I was terribly anemic and was having so much menstrual bleeding that I got six units of blood, one of fresh frozen plasma, and one of platelets. I can tell you that all I felt was BETTER. Last September, I had my hysterectomy and I had to go back to the OR the next day because they could tell something was wrong. A stitch had come out and I had to get two units of blood to replace what had leaked out. I did not notice any ill effects from the blood and I was paying good attention. I used to be a blood donor, and all I can say is I was happy to get some back.
Unread 11-27-2003, 06:42 PM
blood transfusion?

Hi,

Before my TAH, 6-26-03, I asked my doc about giving my own blood, ahead of time, in case he needed to give me some and he didn't want me to because I had been so sick and weak. My DH and I have the same type and I've always told him he doesn't have to go to the blood mobile to donate, but if I ever need some, I would hope he would give it to me. He was so sweet! He had to make two trips to OK City - 2 hours each way- and we found out we are a perfect match! I couldn''t believe it. I ended up getting 2 units of HIS blood and never had any problems at all from it. He said it wasn't so bad, but I doubt he will ever go to the blood mobile to donate. My doc teased us about being "blood brothers," now! It was one of the sweetest things he's ever done for me and we've been married almost 30 years. I'm very blessed!

Ima

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.