HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

My Hysterectomy Supplies My Hysterectomy Supplies

Unread 11-28-2003, 01:17 PM
My Hysterectomy Supplies

Hi Ladies,

While the rest of the world seemed to be doing Christmas shopping today, I did some hysterectomy shopping. LOL.

My feeling is that is is better to have these things on hand and not need them, rather than need them and not have them!

Here is what I got:

Large box of maxi pads
Anti-gas medicine
Laxative
Donut pillow (I heard this is useful if you are having a vaginal hysterectomy, which I am)
Panties two sizes larger than my normal size

I already have several big loose T-shirts that come down to my knees and my husband is donating a pair of his sweat pants to the cause. LOL. I also have a pillow to splint my abdomen.

I have already received the Hyster Sisters book and my Swelly Belly band is on its way.

I am also gathering up books and magazines, although I'm not sure I'll feel like reading during the early part of recovery.

Am I forgetting anything????
Unread 11-28-2003, 02:11 PM
Supplies

Sounds like you have everything covered! I am having surgery soon but date has not been set yet. I need a new battery in my phone. Seems like I can only talk for a short while and then the phone goes dead and has to be re-charged. I will pick up a new one so I can rest in bed after surgery and talk. I also had hubby run the cable so I can watch T.V. in the bedroom when I get home. By the way, your surgery date is my birthday! Good-luck girl!
Unread 11-28-2003, 02:52 PM
My Hysterectomy Supplies

Hi,
You do sound like you're getting ready. I found a chap stick and ear plugs useful at the castle ( I was near an exit). I also took my favorite bed pillow as the castle ones are usually pretty skimpy.

Don't forget to stock up on easy to prepare and eat foods and juices. I used a lot of puddings, jello, yogurt, sherbet, soups, cottage cheese, fruit juices and such. Anything that'll be easy for you and on your tummy.

Please don't take any kind of meds ( even gasx and such ) without asking your dr about it. You never know what might interact with your anesthesia or prescription meds.

Best wishes.

s
Unread 11-28-2003, 03:11 PM
My Hysterectomy Supplies

Good stuff! I wasn't up to reading, took a portable CD player and favorite CD's to the Castle instead.

Granny panties -- 1 or 2 sizes too large -- a must! You're a smart one!
Unread 11-28-2003, 06:46 PM
My Hysterectomy Supplies

Good luck. Sounds like you are ready to go castleing. You might

want slippers for your walks afterwards[they will make you]

maybe a lightweight robe to cover the parts those gowns miss.

We'll all be praying for you

Gerrimac
Unread 11-28-2003, 06:47 PM
My Hysterectomy Supplies

Hi-

An electric razor was nice for the legs for the first 8 weeks or so. Also, I couldn't get on my own socks for the first 2 weeks, so to make it easier for whoever is helping you short socks were nice and slip on slippers. I also liked the Dr. "scrub" pants for my walking pants because there was no elastic.

HondoSam
Unread 11-28-2003, 07:30 PM
My Hysterectomy Supplies

One thing not yet mentioned is eye shade, or some type of eye cover to use for sleeping. I was in the be nearest to the door and even with the room lights off the hall lights kept me up. I would also suggest this becasue if you happen to have a roommate and they are on a different schedule than you it will help when their light is on.

I did however find no use for the bathrobe, with the IV and pole I was unable to put on the robe so I just used the hospital gowns as a robe when walking.

A fan would also be nice in case the room does not ahve one, my room was so hot and it turns out that the hospital regulates the thermostat rhendering the one on the room wll useless, so as soon as my roommate was done with the fan I took control of it, this was great!

I also packed a bag of sample size shampoos, toothpaste, deoderant, but since I was in the hospital under 24 hours I only used the deoderant and took a shower and brushed my teeth when I cam home in the morning.

Hope this helps

Annie
Unread 11-29-2003, 12:24 AM
More for the list

I had a robe that had a front zipper (all my other ones tied), slip on slipper, grab it stick. What I regretted was easy put on shoes (or sandles). My kids had to do up my shoes every time I went out of the house for the first couple of weeks. Boy did I hear about it!

Levanah
Unread 11-29-2003, 06:46 AM
My Hysterectomy Supplies

some of us don't have anyone who will able to drive and run errands for us while we are recovering so i've had to think ahead and try to get things that i might need just in case.

my just in case things that i have bought (or still need to get this weekend) include gauze and paper tape (i'm having a tah), neosporin, chapsticks, throat spray, throat lozenges, calcium chews (my gyn is huge on getting calcium), lots of sinus pills (we're almost into cedar season down here), gas-x, pericolace, a grabber, granny panties, dorm shirts, terry housecoat (it was so soft), slip-on slippers (of course they were lsu slippers), a body pillow, an extra month's kidney prescriptions (since i'm not gonna be able to get out and get it and afford it since i have to pay for all my drugs upfront) and some frozen meals so my dd will be able to nuke us up some dinner since she doesn't drive or cook.

my dh is leaving to go overseas 6 days after my surgery so i'm gonna be totally on my own through all this. i'm worried about getting to doctor appts before i can actually drive.

debbie
Unread 11-29-2003, 06:49 AM
My Hysterectomy Supplies

Hi, you mentioned that you purchased laxatives. A quick word of advice, laxatives cause cramping and pain, you should purchase some stool softners which you can take daily to help loosen you up, but they don't cause pain and cramping.

Also, one of the items that I've found to be the most helpful to me once home was one of those "As Seen On TV" Gopher thingies. It's a long stick with rubber suction cups on the end, you squeeze the handle and the suctions surround whatever you want to reach and holds it tight. It's great for picking up things on the floor or reaching items which are on low shelves. It's been invaluable to me.

In the castle the items I was most grateful to have were my slippers, robe (I would put it right over my IV arm and just let the tubing run through the inside of my robe. I only wore the robe while walking the halls, it made me feel better to feel dressed. LOL) and also don't forget to get some lip balm. Your lips will be very dry after surgery, you'll be glad you have it!!

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery!

Mary Ellen

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway