HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

What does a prolapse feel like internally? What does a prolapse feel like internally?

Unread 11-29-2003, 07:41 AM
What does a prolapse feel like internally?

My pelvic irritation continues. I was given Diflucan 4 days ago. Yesterday I checked myself for a yeast infection by inserting my finger into my vagina and drawing it out to see if there was anymore cottage cheese yicky stuff. (Sorry, I know it is gross) My finger came out clean but I noticed something different in my vagina. There is a bulge there. If I push on the bulge toward my rectum, the bulge moves back. As soon as I remove my finger the bulge comes back to the opening of my vagina. I looked with a mirror while standing and I can see it. I made my husband look (much to his resistance - he has never looked at me in a diagnostic kind of way and was not happy to) and he said that something didn't look right. This was while lying down so it doesn't seem to move away from the vaginal opening on it's own. Could this be some sort of prolapse?
Unread 11-29-2003, 08:34 AM

Hi Kelou,
Sounds like a rectocele to me.I have the same problem.My gyno. says mine is small right now so does not recommend surgery at this point.It does cause me some misery though.I have a constant pelvic pressure much worse by evening or any time I've been on my feet for very long.I have to have plenty of fiber in my diet. Are you having any trouble with your bowel movements like having problems completing the bm,like it gets stuck at a certain spot,this being where the rectocele is?You need to see your gynocologist to confirm this but it sure sounds like a rectocele to me.I'm sorry you're in so much pain.I know how you feel.You're in my prayers.

's

TAH/BSO 6-13-02 for fibroid filled uterus,heavy bleeding,and severe anemia-still on the road
Unread 11-29-2003, 12:44 PM

That's what I was afraid of. I will call my gyn on Monday to have it checked out. I have had problems with my bowels but I have not Paid specific attention to what is going on. My DH and I are afraid to have intercourse now. Is intercourse a problem? Will it make it worse? Will it cause more pain? I feel I have definately "arrived" at the Road Less Traveled!
Unread 11-29-2003, 01:48 PM

Kelou,sorry you are on this road-many of us are but we do have each other and that really helps.I don't know what I'd do without this site.The sisters here are truly a blessing to me.You asked about intercourse.Well I know with a small rectocele it's ok.With me it's out of the question if I'm constipated.Other than that I have no problem.Of course I have other problems with the colon and rectum which is spasms and that causes problems with intercourse.I've yet to find out what's going on there.The gyno just kind of looks at me But if I were you I think I'd wait til I see the Dr. before I try anything just to be on the safe side.I'd want to know for sure whats going on down there.Try not to worry and get some rest I'll sure be thinking about you

's
Unread 11-29-2003, 02:38 PM

((((Kelou))))) What you have described is exactly what I was feeling when I was dealing with the Rectocele, before my hyst... it actually was the last straw that made me, finally, decide to go through with the surgery.

In my case, the rectocele was a stage III rectocele, which was actually protruding at the entrance of my vagina. While, providing I wasn't hemorraghing from the pesky fibroid that was filling my uterus, it didn't interfere with intercourse, it did interfere with bowel movements and was most likely the source of the chronic backaches I was complaining about.

While, in my case, surgery was indicated (not only because of the rectocele, but also because of the symptoms caused by the fibroid), it is sometimes possible to avoid surgery when the rectocele is diagnosed in it's early stages. Here are links to valuable resources regarding prolapses:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=76074

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=79438

You might also want to enquire about whether or not biofeedback pelvic therapy would be indicated for you. It's basically electronically enhanced kegels done by inserting a device in your vagina that is linked to a computer. I've been having such therapy sessions since this summer in order to try and solve an incontinence problems. Providing I attend the therapy session, the progress has been surprising.

Sending lots of healing s your way and hoping that things will settle for you.
Unread 11-30-2003, 07:45 AM

Dear Jenny and Danielle,
Thank you for your responses. I am also so thankful for this site and I don't know what I would have done without it. (makes me shudder to think) Thanks for the links Danielle I will read them. My massage therapist who deals in pain management and electrical acupuncture actually mentioned this process to me that you are talking about with the bio-feedback. He does not have the instrument attachment that they use but said he could order it. Once I see the doctor I will ask if this is an option. I am trying not to get too weirded out about the whole thing. The tissue in the vagina where the bulge is feels different than on the other side of the vagina. It is rough and lumpy feeling. I am trying to take your advice Jenny and not worry and get some rest. The more I am on my feet or if I sit on a hard chair it gets worse. Thanks again, I will report after I see the doctor.
Unread 11-30-2003, 03:47 PM

((kelou)),
I'm sorry you are suffering further issues I was DX'd several months ago with a Vaginal Vault Prolapse...I noticed a bulge that was quite frightening to me as I thot for sure things were gonna fall right out I was suffering my umpteenth UTI for the year...during one of those episodes of intense Bladder pain, that *it* made it's debute not funny at the time but sometimes I have to laugh to keep from crying <sigh> I had also been experiencing Chronic constipation & increasing difficulty having BMs.
As for treatment for my own situation, I'm not mentally or physically *ready* to undergo more surgery. I'll have to figure out what I'm going to do soon tho...

When I 1st read the Title of your thread, it made me recall some images I recently posted on another members post here on The Road. They are pretty graphic but do show what a couple of different Prolapses look like. Here are the links:

Rectocele

Cystocele and rectocele

Good Luck with everything Pls keep us posted on how your doing....(((hugs)))
Unread 12-01-2003, 08:03 AM

Hello I had a urterine prolapse,and rectal prolapse, it sounds to me you ahve both too, I was straining one day opening windows and pop I thought I had a bladder infection because I always felt I had to go anyway I felt up there and sure enough something was in my opening I took a mirror and could see my bladder along with my ureatha and that is when I went to a doctor, lucky for me I had a tah-cyctocele amd rectocele all at the same time, I have been reading and many women had a hyst and months later had to go back for the other reconstruction. good luck to you.
Unread 12-01-2003, 03:51 PM

Dear Sisters,
I feel like such a fool. I went to the doctor today and he checked me lying down and standing up. He said that everything looked anatomically normal. I asked him if he did not see the bulge at the opening and he said it looked normal to him. That is the area that when it is pressed on causes aggitation and after intercourse causes my groin pain. He spent a lot of time talking to me again, but he said that he is stumped as to why I am having this irritation and pain. He wants to refer me to a psychiatrist to manage the Neurontin, Wellbutrin and Xanax that I am on. He said he really doesn't like to see me taking these drugs for very long. I am so happy that it is not a prolapse, but on the other hand I am at square one again. It is hard not to feel defeated and discouraged. The pain and irritation that I am feeling are real and not in my head. It feels like unhappy nerve endings that are stirred up with any movement or stimulation even when I walk. After the doctor's exam I was all irritated inside. He gave me enough refill's to last until I can get an appointment with a psychiatrist. But, frankly I am wondering if I need to make my own call to a neurologist since that is where my urologist wanted me to go next. I am so tired of thinking about it. I am through with my gyn now since he has done all he can for me. Thanks for all of your responses. You ladies are awesome.
Unread 12-01-2003, 06:36 PM

Kelou,

I am sorry to hear that you did not get the awnser to why you are still having pain. I want to let you know that I am think of you and for you. I know how fustrating it is.

Sweety Tweety

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.