HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Best Foods for After Surgery? Best Foods for After Surgery?

Unread 12-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Best Foods for After Surgery?

Ideas/Lists of items for food to eat immediately after I'm home from surgery? (hopefully not to encourage gas!)

thanks
Unread 12-04-2003, 07:31 PM

I stocked up on white minute rice, chicken broth, mild brothy soups, jello, ice milk (to avoid the heavy cream), popsicles, juices, toast, hot tea and do not forget the foods that encourage that first highly anticipated BM. Prunes, or dried apricots, hot tea, applesauce, etc. Unfortunately those also tend to be gassy foods.

Bad ones are sodas that are carbonated (gassy), any type of roughage, corn, anything spicy, and anything heavy like cream soups, or icecream. Also avoid caffeine if possible (although I didnt need to) It can upset the tummy.

Phayzme ultra is the best thing I ever found for gas pains. I took them according to directions and didnt have much problem with gas. Don't forget the milk of mag. in case you need it

Once you know how your stomach will react, yogurt, puddings, and such can be added along with other heavier foods.

I went to a fully normal diet the next morning after surgery and had poached eggs, toast, oatmeal, sausage, coffee, and juice for breakfast in the castle. LOL. Call me old Iron sides Stick to bland things if you have a testy tummy! Its good to have them on hand in case you need them.

Good luck!
Unread 12-04-2003, 10:37 PM

I mostly ate yogurt, cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, cooked carrots, fresh fruit and applesauce the first few days home. I rarely have gas and even though I did have some after surgery it was only real bad a couple of times.

I drank water and cranberry juice as a UTI preventative measure.

I'm on day 15 and am now eating more normally, though avoiding anything spicy or binding (like cheese).

I would stick to your favorite soft/bland foods the first couple of days. Single servings are extremely helpful so you can eat without effort.

Lana
Unread 12-05-2003, 06:08 AM

I had high fiber granola cereal with 4 or 5 prunes each morning for breakfast. Lunch was usually a Weight Watcher heat/eat meal. Had lowfat yogurt for a mid afternoon snack. Was at DH's mercy for dinner (frozen chicken breasts and rice being the mainstay staples he had to work with); sometimes he would cook, sometimes it was heat/eat, sometime it was KFC or other take-out. Cases of Ice Botanicals flavored water (zero calories) from Sam's club. Hot ginger tea or hot mint tea.

I really wasn't hungry much the first 3 weeks post-op; I just made myself eat a nutritious meal at least 3 times a day so my body had stuff to work with to heal.

Sharon
Unread 12-05-2003, 06:43 AM

I was just going to ask about the best foods after surgery. Hot tea doesn't make me gassy so I'm going to make sure I'm stocked up on that. Decaf of course. I don't want to go bonkers. Well, too much. Can't eat jello. That stuff makes me gag. What about lots of popsicles?

Broth I didn't think of. I'll have to put that on a grocery list and send DH out for that.

Linda
Unread 12-05-2003, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Phayzme ultra is the best thing I ever found for gas pains
Where do you get this, I have heard some say they took gas x, but I havent heard of Phayzme ultra.
Unread 12-05-2003, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyOphelia
What about lots of popsicles?
I think popsicles would be just yummy. *adds popsicles to shopping list*

What about the Slim-fast drinks? I was think about having a couple of six packs around for at least the first few days. I seen someone post somewhere about the Ensure, but they are not quite my favorite, but i enjoy the walmart brand of the slim-fast drinks. I'm not interested in dieting, but the drinks have nutrients and vitamins?

Unread 12-05-2003, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ToniC
What about the Slim-fast drinks?
I don't like slim-fast. ICKY! However, I haven't tried Ensure. Maybe that might be good since I know I won't be taking my multi-vitamin just because it has (before) given me gas. EEEK!

Linda
Unread 12-05-2003, 10:06 AM

I had absolutely NO appetite for weeks after surgery, and my frantic husband finally made me drink some Ensure, just so I could get some nutrients down. It went down fine, and it gave me a little bit of energy.
Unread 12-05-2003, 10:10 AM

I never thought about what this would do for my DH if he didn't see me eat. He said that he's expecting it, but we'll see just what he does when the time comes. Hehehehehe!

Linda

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.