HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

fighting HPV with food (study) fighting HPV with food (study)

Unread 12-10-2003, 03:20 PM
fighting HPV with food (study)

We're always wondering what to do that will help and here's one study that helps--

Increasing the levels of lutein/zeaxanthin, beta-cryptoxanthin, vitamin C, and papaya lowers the risk of persistent HPV infection.

According to Reuter's, "There are more than 100 different types of HPV, including some that cause genital warts. A portion of these viruses are sexually transmitted, and some are linked to cancer. It is believed that certain "high-risk" HPVs are the primary cause of cervical cancer." Another study just found that HPVs are linked to oral cancers--and the worry is that even after surgery the virus can cause problems, so it's worth a try.

The study suggests that among populations with low levels of intake of antioxidant nutrients, increasing dietary consumption of certain fruits may confer protection against cervical cancer, they conclude.

SOURCE: Journal of Infectious Diseases November 15, 2003.

Of course, if one is in chemo, clear any supplements with the docs. Vitamin C can affect how they work.
Unread 12-15-2003, 03:41 PM

Here's one I like.. http://www.healthy-networks.com/youn...agic-acid.html

Raspberries for ellagiac acid ... I hear it's best to eat the raspberry itself. And it doesnt matter how they are processed. Best done on an empty stomach. The seeds hold the highest content.

I know I like to keep a frozen bagful in the freezer
Unread 12-15-2003, 07:09 PM

Trish, thanks for sharing this info! I think more and more info about food and its effect on various types of disease will be coming out in the near future. Time magazine recently did a cover story on health, and the cover model was eating broccoli. Broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables seem to pop up in every article and book I read.

While I never had HPV, I have been definitely eating fresh raspberries -- either with oatmeal, or with an apple and flax seeds. They are a very good food -- low in acidity and high in antioxidants. The darker the berry, the better it is for you. Blueberries actually have the highest antioxidant content of any food, but green tea has the highest antioxidant activity. I am now taking green tea capsules, since my nutrionist told me I'd have to drink 10 cups of green tea to get the power of one capsule. I like tea, but not that much. :-)

Meanwhile, my nutrionist ran a bunch of tests and upped my Vitmain C intake quite a bit. I'm going to be taking a C that is half "arabino galactans." I don't remember why, but there is a good reason. ;-)
Unread 12-16-2003, 10:25 AM

Hello, thanks for starting this thread. I am very interested in what I can do for myself to fight HPV and prevent further dysplasia. ( I have ACIS and go for LEEP cone Dec 23). My MD feels that folic acid is the only proven supplement to help fight dysplasia. Depsite his belief I will continue to take/drink what anyone might think will help as long as it is safe. Does anyone out there have info regarding what amount of folic acid is safe to take?
sandy
Merry Christmas everyone.
Unread 01-08-2004, 09:38 PM

(((Trish)))

Thanks for this information! I'm always looking for ways to improve my chances of this never coming back!

Unread 01-11-2004, 01:27 AM

I also have read about the folic acid for HPV. I started taking a multi vitamin and am eating more dark green veggies. I'm going to pick up the berries as well. I agree...anything that might help is worth a shot.

The exciting thing for me was losing 6 pounds when I started the increased veggie intake. Although I blew it over the holidays...gained most of it back. My friends and family tell me I am already to thin but a 36 year old women loves to loose a little weight!
Unread 01-11-2004, 12:36 PM

DH got me a subscription to Dr. Susan Lark's newsletter--the November 2003 issue has a course of vitamins to take for reversing cervical dysplasia, as well as food recommendations. It is heavy on folic acid, Vitamin A in palmitate form, mixed carotenoids, selenium, Vitamin C and to balance it all, a good B vitamin supplement. I think she has a website, and this may be posted. If not, I would be happy to find the info and post it.
Unread 01-28-2004, 08:49 AM
Folic acid

I am wondering how much folic acid to take. I take Women's Ultra Mega Multi Vitamin from GNC, it has lots of extra's (like red raspberry leaves, which someone here posted is good) It contains 400mcg of folic acid. I am wondering if I should be taking extra folic acid? I just want to increase my chances of this not ever coming back! Of course, I was taking this same vitamin way before my diagnosis, so maybe it did not help Not so Mega Woman after all? Anyway, I take extra C, MSM, and green tea supplement's too. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Rhonda
Radical hysterectomy, June 2002, cervical cancer, 1b
Unread 01-28-2004, 09:52 AM

Hi Rhonda,

Folate is a water soluble vitamin with virtually no recorded toxicity, so it is theoretically safer to take more than the RDA (or DRI, or whatever). My doctor wrote a prescription for 5000, yes, 5000 mcg, and I have been taking it for about a month. I've had zero side effects; however, I would not recommend this unless your doctor specificially prescribes it. I have to take five folate pills per day 'cause where I am they don't come with more than 1000 mcg per pill. Plus the prescription is for folate alone so it prevents me from o'ding on other vitamins or minerals. Talk to your doc first, maybe he or she will write you a prescription for folate.

Beth
Unread 01-30-2004, 11:05 AM

Beth,
Thanks!!! I will ask about that at my next visit in March. Take care!

Rhonda

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.