HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Recovery with diabetes Recovery with diabetes

Unread 10-12-2000, 05:51 AM
Recovery with diabetes

I'll try this post again. . .I am scheduled for TAH/BSO for ovarian tumor and possible bowel resection due to adhesions on 11/1. Since I was scheduled, I've had a virus, asmatic bronchitis and sinusitis and a yeast infection from antibiotics - all in two weeks. My blood sugar levels have been totally out of whack - and they have always been under control with diet and exercise. Stress plays a big part - and I guess that I am more stressed than I thought. I know that recovery can be more difficult with diabetes - any hints? Has anyone dealt with that?
This site has been awesome! Tons of information and support. Thanks, sisters, for being here!!
Unread 10-12-2000, 09:39 AM
Recovery with diabetes

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you have been feeling so terrible lately. But....that's typical when you are trying to build your body UP for surgery so you recover faster. I do not have diabetes so I can't help you too much with that except to say that you should probably talk with your PCP or internist and get your sugar levels straightened out as much as possible. Sometimes, out of control diabetes can inhibit proper healing and this is a surgery that you NEED every chance to properly heal from. Plus, you don't want to be stuck in that nasty old hospital longer than necessary because you aren't in control that way. And.....the worst would be if they postponed surgery because your sugar levels weren't straight. So, call your doc and see if you can get some help getting them back in line maybe even medically before surgery. Then, after surgery, you could probably go back to controlling it with diet and exercise.

Allison
Unread 10-12-2000, 09:52 AM
Recovery with diabetes

Started meds for diabetes control last week. They are coming down, but still kinda high. Hopefully, this is a stress thing and short term. TRYING to get geared up and as strong as possible!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.