HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Has anyone had a Hysterectomy Party? Has anyone had a Hysterectomy Party?

Unread 12-31-2003, 05:26 PM
Has anyone had a Hysterectomy Party?

I'm thinking of having a female-only party, to celebrate my transition into 'post-reproductive crone-hood'; to celebrate an organ that has defined most of my life and who I am, and which will no longer be a part of me- the Parting of the Ways, so to speak. I have in mind just my closest female friends, none of whom are "hyster-sisters"

Is this too wierd a concept? Has anyone else done this?

This idea comes from realizing that we celebrate coming-of age and pregancies, but not the end transition (either natural or artifical menopause).

Comments? Suggestions?
Unread 12-31-2003, 05:41 PM

Yes - it is a little "off the wall" but what the hey...if you know enough sisters who have had hysters - go for it! I don't know too many myself. Those I do know probably wouldn't be interested. I think you will need a wacky "theme" to help advertise your party.
I don't suppose balloons come in the shape of a uterus do they?
Unread 12-31-2003, 07:11 PM
Uterus Liberation Celebration

Well, since I had all kinds of great ideas for a divorce party this year, but never quite got it together, I had the great idea of combining my two Liberation Celebrations! Seriously! Because of course there is a loss to grieve in both cases, but I'm Irish and these things call for a let's-blow-some-steam-off Wake!!!! It's a chance to mark the passing, but also to celebrate the new freedoms.

So I'm still planning on having such a bash, probably early in the spring.

Now if they had balloons shaped like *my* uterus, THAT would be a hoot! Eek, people would run screaming! Mine is bicornate, but even for bicornate it looks bizarre. It is like a giant, chubby capital letter T, only the arms of the T are going off slightly helter skelter and the edges are seriously raggedy instead of smooth. Might make a good homemade invitation shape, but not conducive to a balloon.

Unread 01-01-2004, 02:20 AM

I'm Wiccan, so I'm seriously considering at least having some kind of ritual to commemorate and grieve. I've also been reading a lot of stuff about becoming a Crone in the sense that I've passed out of the childbearing phase of my life, and there is in some traditions a Croning ceremony to celebrate that as well.

I'll probably do it when my girlfriend comes out to stay to help me right before and after the surgery...we were hoping that the next time she came out for an extended visit, we'd do our handfasting/commitment ceremony, but I've got so much on my plate with the upcoming surgery that unfortunately that's gotten put off.

I think the party is a great idea! Do whatever feels meaningful to you, be creative, go wild with it! It's all for you, so do what makes you feel right.
Unread 01-01-2004, 02:29 AM

Ocean Queen,

I think it is a great idea. When I stopped at my workplace 4 weeks post-op, a group of us hyster sisters gathered together to talk and share experiences, and we wouldn't let anyone join us who wasn't a "sister." We were just joking, but there is something special and important about celebrating and sharing transitions in womanhood. Go for it!
Unread 01-01-2004, 03:05 AM

I mentioned it to some friends the idea of having a pre-op party, kind of like a liberation party, but I also knew that I needed it to be a part of my grieving process, kind of doing some transitioning stuff. But since people who aren't in this situation (mainly women, married, with kids who all said marriage, sex and children were all over-rated) kind of looked at me like I was nuts. I never did a "burning of the bra" party in younger years. But I really liked the idea of a burning of the feminine protection party.

I am glad I was shown this website. At least I can "party" here.
Good thread, thanks
Unread 01-01-2004, 09:03 AM

Not weird at all! Glad to hear there are more like me around! We celebrated at my work Christmas party, toasting the soon to be gone problem area of my body! Before I return to work the group of gals who I have been friends with for more than 20 years and I are having a uterus-free party! I am the last of the group to have one, funny we all ended up this way! I try to meet life with a giggle and a smile, this included. (even tho I was freaking out before hand)it's all good. Happy New Year Gals
Unread 01-01-2004, 09:46 AM

I love the idea. I really wanted to get together with friends and family for dinner or something before my surgery. One because of my surgery and two because I had my surgery a week before Christmas-no xmas parties or new years eve parties. Didn't happen and I was a bit bummed out, but everyone is so busy before the holidays. I say go for it, you need emotional support before this surgery. Unfortunately so many people don't understand that. Most women said to me "Your so LUCKY, you don't ever have to have a period again". I never knew having an eight inch incision and months of recovery was lucky...
Unread 01-01-2004, 10:04 AM
I don't think it's weird!

I think some people will, though. I say that because I mentioned it once before and no one really responded either way. I don't have any close girlfriends and I am only 26 so none of them have been through it, but I do think having a celebration would be great. Hey, maybe we could make it potluck and get some good food stuffed in the freezer right before the surgery.

I mentioned before that it sounds lie something SARK would do and I love her books.
Unread 01-02-2004, 01:00 PM

Wow- thanks for the feed-back.

So, then...what sort of things would you 'do' at YOUR party?

I'd like my party to be a balance of thoughtful conversation about Life Change, and fun. Here are some Party Games that I've thought of:

A version of Pin the Tail on the Donkey: a "Pin the Tampax on the Vagina" game, with an anatomical picture of the female system and real tampons.

Another could be a giant give-away of my rather large arsenal of tampons and pads (I have all possible sizes, from 'lite' flow to Thundering Flood), since I won't need them anymore. I could also just make pretty party bags stuffed with tampons and such, to hand out as people went home.

Or we could do some sort of interesting craft with all my pads: rather like the tradition (at some bridal showers) of making a wedding dress out of toilet tissue. Alternatively, I could just have a game where we list the alternative uses for those products: shoulder pads, Emergencey Bandages for large cuts, etc. etc.

Then there are the "Castle" related games. Create the Ideal Hospital Menu, for example.

I tossed the party idea around with a friend, and she asked if it would be like a baby shower, where you are given gifts. I hadn't thought of that and at first that seemed a rather mercenary perspective. But then I thought about the list of things I should take with me to the hospital, and also realized that my bathrobe, slippers and even underwear are emabarassinlgy threadbare- and it might be nice to be properly prepared for my visit to the Castle. So, maybe I will invite my friends to help supply me with 'necessaries' for the Transition. I could always point them to the Store at this HysterSyster site?

Any other ideas or suggestions about Party Activities (serious or more 'gamely') ?

Ta-

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.