HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

What actually happens if you lift too much? What actually happens if you lift too much?

Unread 10-13-2000, 02:12 PM
What actually happens if you lift too much?

I was just wondering about lifting. I was told nothing over 10 lbs for 8 weeks. I just would like to know what kind of consequences there are to lifting something heavier before that time. I'm 3 weeks post op (TAH LSO) and I have a 2 yr old daughter, weighs about 30 lbs...she fell out of bed a couple of nights ago and hubby wasnt home to put her back in so I did. Thing is...it didnt hurt!! SO...I wonder if I am healed already or if I am doing irrepairable damage without even knowing it. I don't want to regret this later...my mother had a hyst when she was 29 and didnt heed doc's instructions and has had problems with adhesions ever since, resulting in 3 more surgeries. Being 26 yrs old...i don't know if I'm just lucky enough to be healing quickly...or I am doing myself a lifetime of harm unknowingly. I'm also planning on going back to work as a florist at 6-8 weeks...we have 5 gallon buckets, half full of water to store our flowers in until they go into arrangements...when will I be able to safely go back to that part of my job? Thanks for letting me ramble...I would love ANY feedback!
Unread 10-13-2000, 02:25 PM
accidental running.

I am really concerned. Today while at home my 3 year old grand daughter (whom I thought was right behind me watering my flowers) took off running down a highway near my home. She was approximately 1/4 mile ahead of me , I had to run to catch up with her. I am 3 weeks post op, I am worried that I may have hurt myself. I feel pressure in my groin, but I am not sure if anything else is happening. Thanks for any reassurance you can offer.
Unread 10-13-2000, 03:13 PM

Please call your doctor! No one can answer these questions other than your doctor. No more lifting! No more running!
Unread 10-13-2000, 03:24 PM

You do need to call your DR. I was told that lifting too much can cause your stitches inside to tear. Also may cause your bladder to drop and that would require surgery.
Best to call your DR. ASAP and get checked.
Unread 10-13-2000, 04:14 PM

Flowergirl,

The risks are that you could rip internal stitches. You have MANY internal stitches, and by lifting something to heavy too soon you take the risk of ripping those loose. Which could lead to many complications. Although you feel okay after lifting your daughter back into bed, I wouldn't risk doing it again. You are not healed yet.

Frieda, I would suggest that you call your doctor immediately, let him/her know what happened and what you feel like now. He/She may need to examine you to see if any damage was done. I know you did what you had to do under the circumstances, so don't be too hard on yourself. But definitely make your doctor aware of it, and then put your feet up and REST.
Unread 10-13-2000, 06:01 PM

Flowergirl Good to Hear From You!
I am too 3wks post op TVH and feeling terrific. I have a 2yrold boy whom I have had to lift in the past week and it doesn't hurt either.(31lbs) I asked my Dr when I was released from hospital about it and he said that he wasn't going to ban me from picking up my son just to be careful like squat with legs and not bend at the waist. I will probabally hear about this but I have no option but to sometimes help the little man out.
Glad to hear otherwise you are doing well!!
Andrea U
Alberta Canada
TVH Sept 21
Unread 10-13-2000, 07:23 PM

This did happen to me! I am two weeks postop(9-28TAH) and I had to go to see my doctor and was told I pulled something around the incision and boy I am suffering now for it. Luckily, he said I didn't pull something loose and there was no infection. I do have a lump around the incision and shooting pains when I do too much. I am taking it extra slowwww especially with (5) children. I was told not to pick up anything over 5lbs for six weeks. I am stubborn; I know that but I have to listen if I want to heal right. Take care!!
Unread 10-13-2000, 07:28 PM

Sisters....be careful. If you have to ask and do not feel anything seriously wrong...chances are you are ok. But, check with the doc and stop lifting, bending and running.
That is what family members are for...when they are around. I have been doing laundry but have been squatting and bending very carefully....
Take care of yourselves...
Supracervical 9/21
Unread 10-14-2000, 09:58 AM
Lots Can Happen

At the start of my fourth week, I went back to work. I work in an office. Up/Down, up/down. At end of week I ended up in hospital having surgery again for popped stitches. Anesthesia, operating room. Whole works.

After that second surgery, couple days later I called my doctor and he was in emergency surgery sewing up a gal who decided at ONE WEEK post op to shampoo her carpets. Needless to say, can't do that!

So, you can get popped stitches requiring another surgery (and i was less prepared for the second surgery than the first surgery); you can get adhesions, you can get internal hemoraging, you can get unhealed properly insides which don't show up for months or years or ever (you just don't feel right).

Some situations can't be helped, but we need to do preventative maintenance and try not to put ourselves in situations that can turn bad.
Unread 10-14-2000, 10:15 AM

Aside from the internal stitches, if you have an abdominal incision, then you also run the risk of a hernia. They stretched the abdominal muscles way out so they're weak and can't hold everything in if you strain.

Sweetlin, I think your story takes the cake though--shampooing the carpets?!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway