HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

reaction to steri strips reaction to steri strips

Unread 10-13-2000, 02:46 PM
reaction to steri strips

I had a TAH/BSO on 9/29. Two weeks post op today! I'm feeling pretty good . However when my Dr. took the suitures out at one week, he put steri strips on. Unfortunately I don't think they agreed with my skin. I now have 6 raw, purple sores where the ends of the strips were. One of them is about an inch long, another about the sixe of a quarter!! They really sting and are very sore. when the Dr.saw them he said I should have taken them off. How was I supposed to know??? He said to put vitamin E on them. Has anyone else experienced this? Wow, does it hurt. would appreciate hearing from anyone that has and would also like to hear from anyone that had surgery on or around my date. It really does help talking to someone that has been there. I still am surprised though at how much discomfort I feel. Nothing excrutiating, but pretty uncomfortable. Also, still haven't been able to sleep in my bed yet. Lying flat gives me the most pain. Am looking forward to meeting my bed again!! Hopefully soon. Still, no matter what, I'm so glad it's all over. Had a huge "honeydew" size fibroid that I put up with for 10 long years. Thanks for listening.

Linda
Unread 10-13-2000, 04:07 PM
reaction to steri strips

Yes, I had the same problem. One of those purple spots came
off, like a scab, and is just pink now. My doc said I could use a little cortisone cream, which also helps with itching.
My surgery was 10 days before yours, but I still can't sleep
in bed because its too flat, pulls on the stitches. I also
can't turn on my side yet. I can walk without hunching over or holding my stomach now, I can run short errands, but I
still have shooting and burning pains that remind me to take
it easy. We just can't rush recovery.
Unread 10-13-2000, 04:19 PM
reaction to steri strips

Hi Linda,

I too am super allergic to the adhesive they put in the steri-strips, plastic tape that they put all over your skin (especially to hold an IV into place, and even some band-aids. I get a terrible red itchy spot within moments of having it on. And even if I take the tape off within 5 minutes of having it put on it tears my skin off with the tape and leaves the skin beneath raw, red, sore, and itchy. When I was having a IVP done for a pre-op test, I forgot to tell the guy that I was allergic to the adhesive tape and within a minute I knew it was on. I took it off right away and even though I had the test done a week ago, my skin is still healing from it. It's going to be rough between the IV and keeping my abdominal incision closed, not to mention all the other tape they end up putting all over you over the course of a hospital stay. The only tape I can even mildly tolerate is paper tape, but that isn't very sticky so it is constantly having to be reapplied. It seems like the stickier the tape is, the worse it is for my skin.

Allison
Unread 10-13-2000, 06:52 PM
reaction to steri strips

My surgery(TAH) was on 9-28-00. I got my staples out on October 6th and they used the steri strips. they came off within two days and they did irritate my skin. left a little bruising. but is better now. I am two weeks postop and still have to take it easy, had to go back to the doc. yesterday because I overdid things and pulled something. But, he said there was no infection, just have to take things easy and nooo lifting. You take care.
Unread 10-13-2000, 07:36 PM
reaction to steri strips

Had the same problem except mine were blisters, had to remove some of the steri strips after 4 days and apply a antibacterial lotion to the blister sites (they were located right under the edges of the tape), also had to be very careful when removing because they took some skin leaving reddish, itchy areas.
Unread 10-14-2000, 06:37 AM
reaction to steri strips

I experienced this back in Feb when I had a Laporscopy done. They said I now have alergic to plastic tape. I had never had a problem in the past. Well they told me your body will change every 5 years and it just so happened that I now am allergic to plastic tape.

shell

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway