HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Things to take into hospital Things to take into hospital

Unread 01-08-2004, 05:18 AM
Things to take into hospital

Hi there,
I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas of things to take into hospital that made your time there more comfortable.

Should the clothes to come home in be loose fitting around the middle. (i.e dress as oppose to trousers?)

Tips are welcome.

Thanks
Unread 01-08-2004, 05:50 AM

Hi ZoZoUK

I take it you are in the UK ??

Right - yes, a dress to come home in & flat shoes too .. not trainers or anything with laces - just something you can slip on .... and in hospital night shirts and nighties are better than PJs (I made that mistake!) especially in the first few days with all those drips and catheter!

I took a CD player with CDs and books - I didn't read anything .. was away with the fairies most of the time but I did listen to my CDs ... especially when I was going to sleep.

A big cuddly teddy bear is a good idea too (doubles up as a tummy pillow) OR indeed a tummy pillow It comes in handy for the drive home/passing BMs (crude I know - but when you are their you will understand)/the odd cough/laughing .. need I go on !

Hope this doesn't put you off having your HYST - good luck Toni xx
Unread 01-08-2004, 06:03 AM

Toni hi,
Yes in London UK and glad you mentioned the nightshirts. I thought the idea of bending down and dealing with any fancy shoes would seem a problem. Ugly comfy slips on it is then.

I will bring in a walkman and at least if I feel like it I can listen to something I like.

Thanks again
Unread 01-08-2004, 06:27 AM

hi fellow uk sister... i would advise... slippers... bottled water... small bottles as they are easier to pick up... throat lozengers.. incase your throat is a little sore.. boiled sweets.. keep your mouth moist... and lip balm.. my lips were rather dry... i hope your surgery goes well... best wishes to you.. mary. xx
Unread 01-08-2004, 06:41 AM

Hi ZoZoUK,

I bought a pretty sweat suit before going to the castle - I still wear sweat pants around the house they are very comfy. Also clogs worked well for my feet.

My DH bought a teddy bear for me and I agree with Toni1971, the bear worked as a pillow, prop, and something cuddly to hang on to .

Good luck to you - I am sure you will be just fine!!

Therese
Unread 01-08-2004, 08:24 AM

ZoZoUK

The other thing to mention is that you will be in the castle for at least 5 days (this is standard in the UK)..... so I know I took stuff in with me that I didn't use, but for 5 days I was thankful for it .. just in case ....

M&S do a wonderful DOG called Berkley which doubles a) as a tummy pillow but its also a hot water bottle cover - it big cuddly and the right size for our tummies (at £15 - its a fantastic bargain)... Boots do them also BUT they don't include the hot water bottle. I found the hot water bottle really soothing for the gas pains .. though they won't let you use them in the castle (too much electrical equiptment about!) but as soon as I got home, mine was on my tummy most of the time :-)

Good Luck
Toni xxx
Unread 01-08-2004, 10:03 AM

Hi ZoZoUK
I'm not normally a sweatpant person so I didn't have anything suitable before surgery. I bought a couple of pairs for £4 each in Matalan. Great value because I probably won't wear them again but lived in them for four weeks. Also bought some big knickers (!) there which I just threw away afterwards as they were so cheap. If you are having abdominal surgery they are quite useful to cover the scar area while it is still tender. Would echo the advice to have a nightie for the immediate post-operative period if you have a catheter. Short sleeved is better for drips, blood pressure etc. I then changed to pyjamas and wore the sweatpants during the day. I am short sighted so found it very helpful to have a travel clock with big numbers to put by my bed for when I didn't have my glasses on. (So you can count the minutes when you are awake all night!! - just kidding). I was in a private hospital for five nights - it was better than being at home - definately better food!
Good luck with your surgery. I am back at work and surviving so far.
Unread 01-08-2004, 10:03 AM

Hi,

I think it's really important to take comfy clothes to come home in with you, my plan was my SO was to bring my sweats with him when he picked me up well we ended up having a snow storm which put him in a hotel as we live an hour away from the hospital, so I ended up leaving in un-zipped jeans no shoes because my feet were swollen I got a lot of funny looks walking out like that but I didn't care, it was a rather funny site I have to admit and my hair well that's a whole different story I should have taken a hat... I didn't take my comfy clothes trying not to have to much to take but that was a bad idea I sure learned on that one...Take care good-luck....
Unread 01-08-2004, 10:43 AM

Best thing I brought to the hospital were foamy ear plugs. The nurses are constantly in checking vitals, your sleep will be broken for 100 reasons. The last thing you will need is even more reasons to have your precious rest disturbed.

Hope your surgery goes well.

Terry
Unread 01-08-2004, 11:09 AM

If you are bringing a walkman then books on tape are also good as an alternative to music. Also easy crossword puzzles or word searches can help pass the time when you can't sleep but need to rest. I also used short sleeved short night gowns in the hospital once I could change from the hospital gowns and after the catheter was removed I put on drawstring pajamas. Even when I was home the drawstring pants felt better than the elastic waist pants. When going home from the hospital putting a pillow across your stomach under the seat belt helps with the travel home.

rose

SAH, kept ovaries. Very large painful fibroids. Uterus the size of a 22 week pregancy. It's all gone and I feel so much better.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.