HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Post Op menstral cramps but no uterus, I'm confused Post Op menstral cramps but no uterus, I'm confused

Unread 01-12-2004, 09:47 AM
Post Op menstral cramps but no uterus, I'm confused

Hi,
I am 5 weeks out from a hysterectomy in which I kept my ovaries. I feel pretty great but sometime I feel like I am getting the same cramps I had before my surgery. How could that be if I dont' have my uterus?. Could my ovaries be causing cramps? They are not terrible and they don't feel like ovualtion cramping. Any help here will be appreciated. Thanks Jana
Unread 01-12-2004, 09:49 AM

i've wondered the same thing, though they are getting less and less now. i just thought they were "phantom pain" like you have when you have an amputation.

Fluffy Lemur
Unread 01-12-2004, 10:11 AM

I am almost 4 weeks post op and my pain yesterday felt more like my menstrual cramps! I don't have an explanation either, but just letting you know you are not alone!
Unread 01-12-2004, 10:14 AM

They took my ovaries and I've been having menstral type pain. I just think it's part of the recovery pains. HTH
Unread 01-12-2004, 10:35 AM

I don't have uterus or ovaries and yesterday I had the same thing. Sometimes way down low just like menstural. So it must be the surgery. I am almost 4 weeks out. Guess we have to just hang in there!

Unread 01-12-2004, 10:47 AM

Hi,

I had a LAVH/BSO on 12/10/03 I had terrible cramps after surgery and for the first 2 weeks, I don't have ovaries and I am now at 5 weeks post-op this Wed and still get cramps like menstrual cramps as well. I also am getting that stinging burning pain which actually causes me to jump when it hits, I am assuming that is healing pain. I see my gyn tomrrow I will ask about the cramps you are not alone, but if I were you I would ask your gyn it's always better to be safe with cramping pain.
Take care
Unread 01-12-2004, 10:48 AM

I am just over 5 weeks and have some of the same internal pain . I had an adominal hyst. and left 1 ovary, so I am chalking the pain up to internal stitches healing and dissovling.Hope this helps.

rndin93
Unread 01-12-2004, 11:27 AM

You might try to notice is the cramping is associated at all with a bowel movement. Since everything has shifted inside and moved down somewhat it could be that you are actually feeling things in the bowel. I thought it felt menstrual also and then with time I identified the crampy feeling prior to going to the bathroom.
Unread 01-12-2004, 11:34 AM

I had a LAVH/BSO on 12/5 and had the same menstral cramps for several weeks. I talked with my doctor about it and he said that a lot of women had them and they were phantom cramps. He explained it all, but it boils down to the nerve endings not having anywhere to go. They quit about 2 and a half weeks after the surgery.

I'm on week 6 now and like {{{kelou}}} I have terrible cramping about 30 minutes before a bowel movement. I talked with the doctor last week and he said that the bowel sits right against the vag cuff and since I'm healing slow and still have stitches the pain is from everything moving through the large intestines and rubbing the vag cuff.
Unread 01-12-2004, 12:11 PM

Hi Princesses!

I had the same thing, so I asked my GYN and this is what he said:

First of all, the ovaries don't know the uterus is gone and they don't care, so they are going to continue to do their thing, which may contribute to cramp sensations.

Secondly, your intestines are shifting to fill up the room that your uterus -- and in my case -- fibroids have left. As they move and as gas moves through, they push against your internal stitches which makes it feel like cramps.

He said it would go away after time, and he was right.

Hope this helps!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.