HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

7 months post op, painful intercourse 7 months post op, painful intercourse

Unread 01-13-2004, 08:09 PM
7 months post op, painful intercourse

I am not sure if I should be concerned or not... I had my TVH on 6/24/03 -- since resuming intercourse, it is often painful.. I have heard that pain at the "top" so to speak, can be hitting the cervix, but I don't have one to hit! (Sorry if this is offensive to anyone, I am just getting really concerned). I don't go see my doctor again for several months, what could be causing this?
Unread 01-13-2004, 08:32 PM

Not sure what could be causing it....why don't you give your dr a call. Especially if you won't be seeing him for a while.

Couldn't hurt to ask!!!

Unread 01-13-2004, 09:05 PM

When you had your cervix removed, they sewed the top of the vagina closed and made a cuff. Some woman say it has shortened them. I'm not sure if this is so, but I thought that by having the cervix removed there would be more room. Apparently not. I do have some pain in the same area. However, I am not completely healed. I still have swelly belly and I still get alot of pain when I over do things. Feels like my bladder has dropped to my feet when I have done to much or just carrying something. Anything. It will take a good long time for us to heal. Maybe a good year my DR said. Hope this helps........Peace

Colleen
Unread 01-13-2004, 09:38 PM

Hi Beth:

I see you had your hysterectomy due to cancer. Other than pain, do you notice any other problems (bleeding, discharge)? Are you on chemotherapy or radiation therapy?

When do you see your doctor next? (Typically, given your surgery was necessitated by a cancerous situation, you should be having follow-up visits with your doctor every three months for the next couple of years.)

Regarding the painful intercourse, remember that it takes six months to one year for everything on the inside to heal. When they removed your cervix as part of your hysterectomy, the doctors had to create a "vaginal vault" - essentially stitching up the top of your vagina to close it. It takes a while for this area to heal.

Another thing to remember is that prior to your surgery, your cervix would release fluid that would aid in the comfort of intercourse. Now that you no longer have a cervix, your sexual response is different and you could be experiencing pain because you are not sufficently "lubricated."

I don't know, did you also have your ovaries removed? Removal of the ovaries also changes your sexual response time.

If you've not already done so, schedule an appointment with your doctor. If possible, take your husband. Request for an additional 15 minutes be added to your appointment time so that the three of you can have a frank discussion about the pain and ways you can once again enjoy intimate relations with your husband.

In the meantime, experiment if possible with different positions.
Unread 01-13-2004, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Anne Marie -- my pathology post op all came back ok, so my doctor did not exactly say when to schedule another appointment, so I was going to schedule a regular annual (which would make it August.) That now seems pretty far out.

I do have my ovaries, I think I would have opted out of surgery if they had to be taken at such an early age. I have had my hormone levels tested since then to make sure they are functioning properly, which they are.

Certain positions don't cause the pain, only the especially "deep" ones - sometimes there is an ache, other times the pain is real intense and severe for just a couple of seconds...

At any rate, I am going to call first thing in the morning. I am hoping that I am not worrying over nothing, but it has gotten worse lately. Lubrication does not seem to be an issue, but as you said, which I did not realize, is that the cervix aided in that too, not just the vagina.

Again, thanks so much. I tend to get really worried over small problems. (Hmm, just like a woman!)

Take care everyone.
Unread 01-14-2004, 02:14 AM

Beth:

I too had cancer at a young age. I'm surprised that while you had a successful surgery, you are not seeing the doctor every three months.

I had a different type of cancer at age 24. At the time, due to my age, being single, and not having children, I opted for some alternative approaches - meaning I had surgery on the cervix only with follow-up therapy for 18 months. (It was during this period of time that it was discovered that I had endometriosis.) In any event, following my follow-up therapy and the doctors announcing I was cancer free, I still had to have follow-up appointments and testing every three months for three years, then follow-up appointments every six months for two additional years.

Are you under the care of a regular gynocologist or an oncological gynocologist? I am only asking because when I was diagnosed I was under the care of a regular OB/GYN who felt he could handle my case. It was at the urging of my boss that I seek a second opinion and see a gyncological oncologist....

Needless to say, I am concerned and urge you to talk with your doctor and ask questions.... both about your post-op recovery, the changes your body has undergone, and your cancer diagnosis with short-term and long-term testing, etc.

Anne Marie
Unread 01-14-2004, 09:44 AM

Anne Marie,

I have done searches, and there are no gyn-onc's in my area, at least not under my insurance plan, although I couldn't find any at all. I made an appointment for next week.

I think b/c my cancer cells were non-invasive, he is not that worried, and really, I was not either. Of course, now I am getting there, I tend to turn mole hills into mountains!

I appreciate your concern... I am going to ask a lot of questions at my visit, and get a specific time line as to when he wants me to get another pap, and will probably call my insurance company to find out the time frame of coverage given my diagnosis.

Here is hoping for good news!

Beth
Unread 01-14-2004, 11:56 AM

I am 7 mos post-op from lTAH and still have pain during intercourse from certain postions. I don't have my cervix either, but my pain feels like its more in my stomach. It just recently seems to be easing up, so maybe all in due time..... Peg
Unread 01-14-2004, 12:18 PM

I had a TVH also along with A&P repairs. I was having pain with sex especially with very deep penetration. My dr wanted me to have an exploratory lap, he thinks one of my ovaries could have fallen and attached with scar tissue to the top of my vaginal cuff. He also wanted me to start PT while waiting for surgery. Well, the PT has done wonders and I no longer have pain with sex except for very forceful deep penetration. This could be due to a shortened vaginal vault or maybe an ovary is stuck up there. I want to keep my ovaries as long as I can so I am not having surgery. BTW, PT helps if your muscle tone (vaginally) is too high thus making your vagina one big trigger point for pain.

Best of luck to you.
Denise
Unread 01-14-2004, 12:27 PM
painful intercourse

Had a TAH nearly 11 months ago, and on my 6 month check I did tell my consultant that intercourse was sometimes painful.

After an internal, they said I had adhesions (?). A very long, what resembled a cotton bud, was inserted with Silver Nitrate on it and rubbed onto the area.
It only took a couple of minutes, and it was very pleasent, but now I'm fine!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.