HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Post-Hysterectomy Endometriosis Symptoms? Post-Hysterectomy Endometriosis Symptoms?

Unread 01-19-2004, 05:52 AM
Post-Hysterectomy Endometriosis Symptoms?

Hi, everyone. Here's another question for you. What are the symptoms of endometriosis that recurs after a partial hysterectomy? Does it feel like menstrual cramps? Since my extensive pelvic exam on Thursday, I have been in unbearable pain, even when lying down. (Usually lying down alleviates it some.) The pain feels somewhat like my cramps used to feel, and I don't even have a uterus anymore!!!

Can endometriosis pain increase with activity? Lying down always makes my pain less severe than it is standing up, walking or sitting, but this past weekend, lying down hasn't made it better. (Not all that surprising, because any exams of that area since the surgery have always resulted in a lot more pain.)

I am so hesitant to schedule a laparoscopy, out of fear because of what happened as a result of the last surgery, but I also really need to find out what the heck is going on. Maybe I have both an incisional hernia and endometriosis.

I appreciate any thoughts any of you can share with me about this. Thanks so much.

Judy
Unread 01-19-2004, 11:20 PM

Hey Judy:

Had an exploratory lap this morning. Up now because I slept so much during the day today. I was first diagnosed with endo about 12 years ago ... the pain had been severe (cyclically) for 4 years before that. My TAH was 11/02 [kept both ovaries].

My husband was told that they found no endo this time, just adhesions. He was told there was one rather legnthy one that went sorta diagonally across my abdomen and several small clusters. Doc removed them all. The nurse showed me lovely color photraphs before I left today that supported that. I see my doctor on Friday for the details.

How endo feels is a matter of location, more than severity ... at least from what I understand. Doctor and I both suspected endo and/or adhesions. Pleasant surprise to find no endo.

As you know the only way to find out for sure if its endo is via a laparoscopy. This is my 4th one and went very smoothly.

The Endometriosis Association is great for gathering helping you to make sense of endo. I read their book "Understanding Endometriosis" when I was first diagnosed and it helped me tremendously to understand my symptoms, options, etc.

Take care.

Unread 01-21-2004, 06:54 AM

Hey Judy, I am going in tomorrow for a lap as well. Hey Michelle. Glad to hear that you do not have edno. I am nervous but I am so ready to find out what is going on and to feel better again. I may be going in again if it is indeed adheasions, for a second look and I signed up to be in a study that they are going to use a new soultion after they do the lap to keep the adhesions, endo down. Judy I have been in much discomfort and pain since my surgey last march. Good luck to you I will e-mail you after my surgery and let you know what is going on and how I made out. Glad to hear your doing ok Michelle. Mary

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.