HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Peeing after hysterectomy Peeing after hysterectomy

Unread 01-21-2004, 05:39 AM
Peeing after hysterectomy

Does everyone have problems peeing after hyster? I tend to see that alot, and most say it is verypainful to pee for awhile after. How long after, and is this very common?
Unread 01-21-2004, 05:49 AM

I didn't. It's important to drink lots of fluids and stay hydrated.

My bladder was sore for a good number of weeks after. Usually it was in the morning, when I hadn't had anything to drink overnight.
Unread 01-21-2004, 05:51 AM

I didn't have one lick of problems peeing. I was a little hesitant in the hospital the first time I pee'ed and it did twinge a little the first time, but after that I don't remember any pain.

I think it might have to do with bladder repairs and vaginal hysters. I had an abdmonial one with no cathader at all.
Unread 01-21-2004, 05:54 AM

Hi flameglow --

I can only speak for myself, but I didn't have any problems in this area after my hyst. I woke up from surgery with a cath in, and they removed it the next day. I immediately was able to go on my own, and it never was an issue for me. Kind of an annoyance while I was in the castle once they removed the cath as I had to drag my IV pole to the bathroom with me, and between the IV and the fluids I was drinking, it seemed like I'd no more than get settled on the bed than I had to get up again, but everything worked as it should.

Just wanted you to know that not everyone has problems afterwards...........remember that a lot of times, the women who post are the ones who did have a problem with something.....so sometimes it seems like everyone has problems. There are lots of gals that everything goes smoothly for, but they may not post about it as much.

Good luck to you!

Ann
TAH/BSO 1/5/01
Unread 01-21-2004, 06:18 AM

I had a TAH/BSO on 11/11/03, had a catheter in for about 24 hrs but when that came out, I had no problem. I drank a lot of fluids, but did notice that after a night's sleep it would be a bit more uncomfortable going to the loo. However, that came right by itself and at this stage, no problems at all.

Good luck!

Anita
Unread 01-21-2004, 07:22 AM

No problems here with peeing even right after catheter removal; had TAH/BSO(vertical incision since cancer suspect and found) but no additional repairs which might have caused such problems. BTW, after catherer is removed, for awhile the nurses will continue monitoring the amount of urine (they have something in the toilet) and would tell your doctor if anything was not right .
Your getting real good advice including re staying hydrated. I am really sorry for those women who do have problems-peeing and/or other post-op probs. For those LIW who are worrying when they read about these problems, please remember, and as others have mentioned too, many women have gone thru this operation without a hitch. Please, if something is not or does not seem right (including pain pills that don't seem to be working) tell your nurses/doctors, etc. ; often trying something else could work better for you.
Based my gyn's experiences, and she has been in practice over 30 years, if one is in general good health and follows doctors' & nurses' orders (which btw include many of the post op princess "rules") they will do just fine. I can vouch for her.
My ers are with your for a complications free surgery and recovey. s peggiesue

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.