HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Cystocele Surgery Advice Cystocele Surgery Advice

Unread 01-23-2004, 07:01 AM
Cystocele Surgery Advice

Hi,
My name is Ali and I am from the UK. I am 54 years old.
I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with both ovaries removed, over 3 years ago. I currently use Estraderm MX 50 patches. It took me two years to recover from the hysterectomy. I still have pain and discomfort in my lower abdomen with minor lifting. I also have bowel pains and problems.
About 2 years ago I ended up with a cystocele which may or may not have been as a result of the hysterectomy. I have a suspicion that certain ligaments may not have been attached during the abdominal surgery.
I am due to have the same surgeon for the surgery to repair the problem with the medium grade cystocele in about 3 weeks and am very apprehensive. He is a Uro/Gynaecologist and considered to be one of the best ones in this locality. I have no choice of alternatives or anyone considered to be better. It will be vaginal surgery with existing tissue harvested to support the bladder.
I am frightened that I end up with additional problems like possible urge incontinence or pain with sex due to vaginal shortening, and rectal problems etc.
I have no incontinence or sex problems at the moment. The only problems with the cystocele is a significant bulge into my vagina and a dragging down feeling with significant discomfort at times, particularly when my bladder gets fuller. I also experience frequent thrush problems I have developed coping strategies, but would obviously prefer a satisfactory resolution, if possible. However, I do not want to trade the problems I have for potentailly worse ones.
I really need reassurance that this is the way to go and that there are others who have successfully gone through this surgery with no problems or regrets. The thousands of Kegel exercises did not help.
Please let me have your experiences and advice concerning this surgery.
Thanks in advance.
Ali.
Unread 01-23-2004, 09:41 AM
Cystocele Surgery Advice

Hi Ali,

I had a tvh with repairs on Jan 5 and I can tell you I'm doing great. I had to self cath for two weeks after surgery but this is no big deal. My bladder is still a little sensitive but I don't have a problem with incontinence and never did. The nurse said the bladder just gets bruised from all the pushing and shoving the dr has to do. I can tell it's getting better every day....just needs some patience on my part.

I can't comment on the sex issue as I've not reached that milestone yet. Only you can decide what's best for you. I just know I am so glad I had this surgery. I had a prolapsed uterus, cystocele and rectocele and it feels marvelous not having all the bulging down there anymore.

Best wishes on your decision....keep us posted.

Unread 01-26-2004, 06:22 AM
Cystocele Surgery Advice

Sparklies,

Thank you very much for your reply.
I am glad that you have had a positive outcome.
Hope your progress continues.
All best wishes,

Ali.

Is there anyone else out there who has had experience with a cystocele? I would be very pleased to hear from you as there are only about two to three weeks left to my op. I am still frightened to go ahead.
Unread 02-07-2004, 07:18 PM
cystocele repair

Hi I'm very new here this is my first message. I had a tvh and was supposed to have cystocele repair at that time but I had lost too much blood and the dr. had to stop the surgery. I am facing a cystocele repair very soon and I am very anxious about it. The tvh was supposed to take some of the weight off the bladder and help the situation, but it didn't. I had very large babies vaginally it sure didn't do me any good. I have total pelvic prolapse and will eventually have to have everything hitched up. I'm scared because I had a ruptured appendix that turned gangerous, I almost didn't make it, six months later I had the tvh. Anyway that was a year ago I am very scared, but the cystocele is stage three and it needs to be repaired. No one I know has been through this or even understands what I am going through. It's suprising how many friends have never heard of this problem! I hope all goes well for you, sometimes it helps just to know someone out there is in the same boat. Be well
Unread 02-08-2004, 07:25 AM
Cystocele Surgery Advice

Hi cat,
When is your surgery? You will do just fine. You might think about getting a donut pillow as sitting is a little uncomfortable for a while. I used one for a couple weeks.

Sounds like you've had your share of stuff over the past year. It's tough when no one understands what you're facing. That's why this site is so great. We're all here to help each other. There's always someone who's been there before so they can relate their experiences.

They will take good care of you in the hospital and you'll be home before you know it and feeling much better. Keep us posted and best wishes.

Blessings.
Unread 02-08-2004, 09:08 PM
cystocele repair

Hi Thank you so much for your blessings. I'm seeing the Uroligist tomorrow. I feel a little better already knowing I found this website. It's really nice to know I have a place where others understand. I'm trying to find my way around! Thanks for the encouragement. Be Well
Unread 02-09-2004, 12:30 AM
Surgery

I had this surgery a year after my TAH (+cervix) and I never knew the procedure as "cystocele". My doctor just called it a bladder tack. Actually, I had the surgery because after experiencing pain stooping and lifting about 6 months after my TAH, an ultrasound discovered a cyst (size of a large peach). I also remember this distinct "bulging" feeling that many of you mentioned.

While in surgery, the doctor found that my bladder had prolapsed and he "tacked" it up. The weird thing was that he never found the cyst, but the pain (after healing, of course), disappeared. Another post in this thread mentioned a suspicion that the doctor had forgotten to do something during the first surgery and, after this second surgery, me and my entire family suspected that something was amiss (afterall, we had pictures of the cyst!). Since this surgeon was the same one who performed my first surgery, we will always believe that this second surgery corrected the problems that the first surgery missed.

The good news is that, 8 years later, I am still doing well in regard to incontinence issues. I do have some aggravation with water leakage, on occasion, but I use those ultra-thin mini pads if I am going to be away from a convenient bathroom (e.g., long drive).

If it makes you feel better, this second surgery was much easier. Since both surgeries were abdominal for me, the surgeon went in through my original TAH incision, which was nice. I think that a good bit of my successful post-op was that I knew what to expect: rest, don't lift, take your hormones, and allow your waste products to exit your body at their own pace. In fact, after my second surgery, I only took two pain pills afterwards and didn't need narcotics anymore.

And especially for Catalu: just as an fyi, my appendix burst when I was 13 and the doctors called it Peritonitis (a dangerous infection that occurs from a burst organ). All of my later problems with reproductive organs, bladder, and so much more has been linked to the Peritonitis. Though this may not seem like much support for you, know that I am very glad to see that you did not have to suffer for 17 years before someone would perform surgery to fix the problem (i.e., I didn't have kids, doctor's wouldn't listen, I was often uninsured). You are probably afraid because your life seems like one, long stream of medical problems--mine certainly did. Your friends and family love you but you're probably the first person they've known with the problem. However, it especially doesn't help when friend and family glaze over when you talk about your fears--they mean well but thank goodness for this website, huh?

You will get your life back.
Unread 02-09-2004, 06:20 AM
Cystocele Surgery Advice

Hi all

A cystocele is actually different from a bladder tack according to my dr. A cystocele (or anterior) repair is where your bladder is bulging into your vaginal canal. In my case my bladder and rectum (posterior or rectocele) had both prolapsed into my vagina. During the repair work they stitch up the front and back of the vaginal wall making it tighter and more secure so the wall is strengthened and the bulging eliminated.

I think in a bladder tack they actually suspend your bladder up. I didn't have this...just the repair.

If you go to pelvicfloor.com you will see pictures of this repair work.

Blessings to you all...and a big
Unread 02-11-2004, 06:44 AM
Repairs

Hi Thanks for the info, My dr. talked to me about all the repairs, at this point he is going to fix just the cystocele. I also have a rectocle, but have some other health concerns. I have Fybromyalgia and surgery really wipes me out, just takes longer to bounce back. I'm stubborn and sometimes I have to be tied down to rest. This web site is so overwhelming I can't believe how many of us go through the same things. Thank you Thank you THANK YOU!!!! I don't know my surgery date yet.
Unread 02-12-2004, 05:54 PM
surgery date

Hi Sparklies You were so nice to ask about my surgery date, it is march 8th just a cystocele repair. Things are a little more complicated now ultrasound showed some cysts and a mass, which I'm really not sure what to think. I have to wait a week to find out what the dr. says. Where do I go on the message board for support? To tell you the truth I am just a little scared, because I have had a lot of pelvic pain, that is why the dr. orderd the ultrasound. I'm having all the early symptoms of ovrian cancer, I keep reading the symptoms and I'm a little scared. I never knew what they were before. Something has brought me to this web site, my hubby is great but it seems he is the only one that knows all that I have been through. Ruptured appendix, and hystorectomy in the same year. I have total pelvic prolapse, so it's not over yet, rectocele and vaginal wall will have to be dealt with later. I keep coming back here to read the message boards, I feel safe here, thanks for letting me vent. I'm still the newbie here! Be Well

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.