HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Where do I put the Vivelle patch? Where do I put the Vivelle patch?

Unread 01-26-2004, 10:33 AM
Where do I put the Vivelle patch?

I am switching back to the Vivelle patches today, from the Femring. I took them when my Femring ran out early in December, for 1 month, and my body reacts a LOT better to them than the Femring.

That said, the reason I am posting this is because the only problem I had with the Vivelle is placement. I know it said to alternate sides with each patch, I think *anywhere* between your waist and upper thighs? I can't remember. The only place I ever put them were on my belly below my navel, and around my bikini line. Some places on my belly didn't seem to stick as well as others. Are there other places that are safe to try as well?

Look forward to your replies!
Unread 01-26-2004, 11:01 AM

Hi You can also use the sides of your hips and your backside.... I prefer to put them on the rear because the skin is less sensitive there and less prone to that 'swelly belly' effect that makes the patches wrinkle when I put them in front.

One thing to be aware of, though, if you decide to put it on the backside, is that you can get up to around 20% more estrogen from the patch putting it there, so alternating front to back isn't a good idea (can give you fluctuations).

Hope this helps!
s,
-Linda
Unread 01-26-2004, 01:00 PM

My doc told me put the patch on the backside of my hip. Alternating each side every week. Has worked well so far.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TVH - 9/03 abnormal tissue growth in uterus(found uterine cancer)
They got it all and no other treatment being done.
Unread 01-26-2004, 03:34 PM

i put mine on my hips also alternating weekly.I do not have any problem with the v-dots sticking.the climara didn't stick to well.
Unread 01-26-2004, 05:40 PM

When I was using the Climara patch I put them on my backside, alternating sides each week. I now use a duragesic patch for some ongoing pain issues and I put them on my lower hip area, alternating sides.

Good luck on the Vivelle Dot. Let us know how you're doing.
Unread 01-27-2004, 07:06 AM

I alternate on the sides of the hips. I was having an awful time with the Climara patch sticking but this Vivelle dot is much better. I even put my new patch on Saturday morning and Saturday evening took a long, hot, relaxing bath and no problems with the patch!
Unread 01-27-2004, 09:46 AM
Tanning beds?

Thanks ladies! I went ahead and put it on the back of my hip. I, too, took a long hot bath last night, and no problems.

What about tanning beds? The patch will be underneath my bikini bottoms; but, will the heat/rays/whatever hurt the patch or change the absorption?
Unread 01-27-2004, 09:54 AM

Tanning beds and HRT do not mix.... not because of the 'rays' hitting the patch directly, but because using estrogen makes your skin much more sensitive. Here's a link to a prior thread about tanning beds and HRT:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=123501

I would strongly urge you to stay out of the tanning salon and use one of those newer 'fake' tans if you must have that healthy glow, so that you can actually be healthy!
s,
-Linda
Unread 01-27-2004, 10:12 AM

Wow Linda!

I'm glad I mentioned it. Unfortunately I have barely any color. I guess I'll stick with Neutrogena or some other tanless mousse stuff. I had just asked my dh for a package to the local salon for my Valentine's day gift this year...guess I better call and tell him NOT to get that.

My coworkers call me pastee, fishbelly white, you name it! So, the thought of getting into a swimsuit to do water aerobics is a little unnerving.

I didn't seem to have any trouble with the tanning beds while I was on Estratest FS last year, wonder why? And, is it Estrogen and sunlight in general, or just tanning beds?
Unread 01-27-2004, 10:16 AM

It's estrogen and UV exposure of any kind... and you might not have had a problem with Estratest because the estrogens in Estratest, which resemble our own estrone, are relatively much weaker than those in the patches or oral Estrace (estradiol).

Sorry about that, but you will be much healthier with the sunless type of tan, and they are so good nowadays that no one has to know the difference!
s,
-Linda

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.