HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Enlarged Ovary, I am scared.... What could it mean? Enlarged Ovary, I am scared.... What could it mean?

Unread 01-27-2004, 03:36 PM
Enlarged Ovary, I am scared.... What could it mean?

Hi Ladies,

If this is the wrong Forum, please advise where to better post.

I got back from my second visit to the ER for Pelvic/ovarian area pain, and they did the sonogram.

The tech couldn't see my right ovary at all but the sonogram showed that my left ovary is enlarged beyond 'normal' and they said this is most likely what is the cause of my pains and discomfort.

I have generalized bloating/tenderness, sore thighs and back, and then shooting pains every now and again that stop me in my tracks. In the last day the leg and back pain has really increased and my tummy is getting fuller and more bloated.

I see my OBGYN for followup on Thursday (the first time I'll see him for 15 months, since my 6 week hysterectomy f/u).... but in the meantime....

What could be the cause of an enlarged Ovary? The ER doc said it could be 'cystic'? (My C-125 was at 11) but I did have a ruptured ovarian cyst many many years ago that required surgery.

I guess I am freakin a little because of the relationship of ovarian cancer to enlarged ovaries! Should I be worried? What should I ask for next?

What else might be at cause?

Cori
Unread 01-27-2004, 04:08 PM

Bummer! Not sure what it could mean, but let us know what you find out!

Good Luck!
Unread 01-27-2004, 05:32 PM

Hi Cori,
I am sorry to hear that you are feeling so unwell and worried. I can offer my experience as a possible cause if it might help. I had been having pressure in my back passage, nagging achy pains down my left leg and discomfort at the left hand side of my front passage. After being checked out by a colo-rectal consultant who requested a C.T. scan they found what they called a "mass" on my ovary that was "probably" benign. As you can imagine the word mass had me convinced that I had cancer, especially as my mom had ovarian cancer 30 years ago. Also my C-125 was 14, later my GYN told me this was quite good as he has known it to reach four figures in some ladies. Well the mass turned out to be a dermoid cyst that was the size of a tennis ball, (I believe that they can get as big as a football!). My GYN said that they are nothing to worry about but have to come out as they can recur. He had also reassured me that after looking at the C.T. scan results he thought at the time the mass looked like this type of cyst from the smooth shape and its density. So I had my TAH/BSO on 11/20/03. I hope this helps and that this type of cyst could be what is causing your symptoms. Could you request a C.T. scan?
I will be thinking of you, let us know how you get on .
Love and hugs,
Jan.
Unread 02-03-2004, 12:34 AM

Hello Corrie!

Saw your post and was sorry you were scared! I was too, when a routine ultrasound showed something on my right ovary. I had no suspicion there was anything wrong - no symptoms - and my doctor called me at work and with no preliminaries told me that I had a cyst, that it could not be normal at my age (58), that no 'regular' gynocologist would touch it, and that she was sending me to a gynocological oncologist! Of course I panicked, being sure it was cancer, and when I looked up ovarian cancer on the Web I panicked more!

Fortunately the gyn. onc. when I got to her was much more sympathetic, and told me that it could be all sorts of things, including harmless ones, but that she'd have to operate to make sure.

It turned out to be a dermoid cyst, a mature teratoma, and although I guess it was yucky (skin, blood, fat in it) it was harmless. I was kind of sorry I didn't get a chance to see it LOL. And the surgery and recovery were not bad (I had a TAH/BSO with a vertical incision). No aftereffects, and now it is more than 5 years later.

What I am getting at is: try not to panic. At this point you don't know what it is, and neither does anyone else for sure before surgery. It may well be harmless, and there is no point in borrowing trouble by deciding it's something bad on no data! I was one of only 10% of women my age with that particular kind of cyst (most are much younger), so if I had gone by the odds I would not have thought that was what it was beforehand.

I will be thinking of you and wondering what's going on with you, so please check back here. There are a lot of people here who will help.

Tess

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.