Weight loss prior to surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weight loss prior to surgery Weight loss prior to surgery

Unread 01-30-2004, 08:00 PM
Weight loss prior to surgery

I have found out today that I need to have a hysterectomy. We are planning it for summer, so that I can lose some weight. I'd love ideas anyone has on the best way to lose weight prior to surgery. Also, was anyone given any exercises that would help them with their recovery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2004, 08:04 PM

I've been doing Atkins since Feb of last year. I lose slower than most, but I feel wonderful. My BP has gone down to normal and I no longer take BP meds, my acid reflux is gone, and no more snoring. I've lost 31 pounds, but most people lose way faster than me.
Unread 01-30-2004, 08:34 PM

I have been on Weight Watchers for a little over a year. I lost 50 lbs. The system works well for me. I can eat anything, I just have to limit amounts and account for what I had. WW encourages exercising and the support I get in the meetings is priceless.

I do feel that the weight loss has helped alot. I cannot imagine what recovery would be like with an extra 50 lbs to lug around.

I still have about 15lbs to go, and WW put my membership on hold through surgery and recovery so I don't have to pay for missed meetings.

Working on the abs will help you a bunch. , yoga, pilates whatever works best.

Best of health to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2004, 11:17 PM

I have been doing atkins too bethal, it is a good plan. It is up to you what works best for you lifestyle. Atkins has helped my alot. good luck & god bless
Unread 01-31-2004, 06:07 AM

About exercises to help with recovery, my doc said absolutely NO exercises of any kind after surgery for 6 weeks minimum. I am a runner and do not want to loose all the work I have gained since I started running in October 2003. I specifically asked my doc what I could do while recovering. He said nothing except to walk (carefully) only to get to where I need to be. I cannot even walk for exercise. I even asked about light weight (2lbs) dumbells. Again a firm NO.

So, I would check with your doc before you plan any type of exercise program after surgery.

jshots
Unread 01-31-2004, 06:20 AM

I really think weight watchers is the best program out there. I joined ww in 1999 lost all my weight and have kept it off. The program teaches healthy balanced eating and anything is okay, in moderation.

I find Atkins too restrictive and there is just no way anyone will convince me that eating foods high in saturated fat is good for you. (mono-unsaturated fats ARE good for you but in controlled amounts) Yes, people do lose weight on Atkins, I just have yet to meet anyone who can live on it for life.

Jshots, I too am a runner. I am really dreading the thought of going 6 weeks without even a slow jog! I'm running, swimming, biking and strength training between now and my surgery figuring if I can go in, in as best shape as possible, maybe I won't be quite so out of shape when I get the green light again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register