HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Does percocet make you sick? Does percocet make you sick?

Unread 02-03-2004, 09:46 AM
Does percocet make you sick?

Ugh . . . . .

I took some percocet this morning but it wasn't for hysterectomy pain (shame on me?). I'm about eight weeks post op and I've got plenty of meds leftover because I didn't use them much past my first week.

For the past few days, I've had a pain in my neck (aside from my DH, LOL). It's nothing big, sort of like a stiff neck or pulled muscle. But it hurts and the pain ends up traveling to my head and then I get a big head ache. I've been taking advil for it, which helps but I'm afraid of taking too much advil because of the damage ibuprofen can do. So last night, I took a percocet before bed and it helped. This morning I woke up and of course my neck is sore again. So I took another one. It was twelve hours since the last one. But for some reason I feel soooooo sick now. It's awful. Like being drunk sort of. I don't drink, btw, because my stomach can't handle it and so obviously I'm not that experienced with prescription medication either.

But I've been dizzy and wanting to throw up all morning and I can't seem to shake it. It was only ONE pill but I am really really regretting it.

Is percocet supposed to make you sick? I never had a problem with it before -- although I really didn't take it much except for directly after surgery. I promise I'll never take them again for non-hysterectomy related pain . . . but does anyone know a good cure for the sickness? Blah......
Unread 02-03-2004, 10:12 AM

Did you take it on a full stomach? My script info for it says to take it with food if it makes you feel sick. It doesn't make me feel sick, but it does make me feel sleepy drunk...if that makes any sense. Kind of light-headed and very sleepy. The only time it has made me feel sick is if I didn't eat with it.

Jeannie
Unread 02-03-2004, 12:14 PM
percoset

I had a bad reaction to percoset.It took away the pain and then within the hour I had intense itching throughout my entire body.Iwas told percoset is in the same family as tylenol with codeine{which I am allergic too}.What is interesting is that what you are describing is my allergic reation to Tylenol with Codeine.Same family of medicine : different allergic reactions.Demerol worked for me-and always with something in your stomach.
Unread 02-03-2004, 12:32 PM
Does percoset make you sick?

I have had no problems with percoset. When I am in doubt about taking anything even if it is serveral hours after taking at different kind of medication I always phone and check with my pharmacist. Could it be the neck pain that has made you sick? Or maybe some advil was still in your system? I am just grasping at straws here. Sorry I could not help you out. I hope you feel better soon. Connie
Unread 02-03-2004, 01:21 PM

when they took me off the PCA pump in the hospt they gave me oral Percocet and i threw up.

Fluffy Lemur
Unread 02-03-2004, 01:22 PM

What you are describing is exactly what I felt when I took percocet last year following my lap. Any pain medication could cause that type of reaction, they just don't agree with everyone. I am also not a pill taker, I really have to hurt to even take a tylenol or motrin. Call your doc about the neck pain, they might want to prescribe something different if you have a muscle strain.
Unread 02-03-2004, 01:42 PM

People can react differently to medications. When I take Percocet I have problems with constipation.

When a pain medication is prescribed for a certaain condition it is not a good idea to "self diagnosis" and use the pain medication at a later date for other ailments. Not all medications work for all conditions. I would call your doctor about the neck pain - they may want to examine you and prescribe something that will work better for that type of problem.

s
Unread 02-03-2004, 01:45 PM

I can relate. Percoset and Vicodin both make me queeeeezzzzy. I found it didn't matter if I took it on a full or empty stomach. Kind of a trade off...pain vs. nausea. I opted to tough out the pain.
Unread 02-03-2004, 02:43 PM

Thanks all. You know when you're uncomfortable and can't seem to do anything about it, it feels good to at least talk about it.

I took the stuff on an empty stomach because it was only 7am and I wasn't ready to eat yet. Then I got sick and forget about eating. I think that was my punishment for taking killer pain killers for something it wasn't prescribed for.

Now....hours later, I don't feel great but at least I'm not walking around with a bowl anymore, lol. Thanks for your support. It was the only comfort I could get at the time.

phrostie
Unread 02-03-2004, 03:07 PM

Always take it on a full stomach if you react this way. But sometimes, that doesn't even help.

I have a similar story of a reaction I got from a pain killer:

Over the summer, I had a laparoscopy and the doc gave me the time released oxycontin to take one in the morning and one at night. Well, two nights after surgery, I took one and went to bed. Now, just before I took one, I felt a headache coming on but figured that it would go away after my pill. Well, I went to bed with my pill and my headache and woke up in the middle of the night with an excrutiating migraine and was throwing up violently (OUCH!) I started to panic because of the pain of the migraine and the pain in my stomach from throwing up - then both of my arms from the elbows to the fingertips became numb and the muscles started to contract! I thought I was having a stroke and called 911.

As it turns out, the oxycontin was the culprit of the migraine and I never took another.

It was a horrible experience!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway