HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

prometrium post-hysterectomy prometrium post-hysterectomy

Unread 02-06-2004, 12:13 AM
prometrium post-hysterectomy

My doctor said I no longer need any progesterone replacement since the only reason for taking it was to keep from getting uterine cancer. But I read here a LOT that other women are still taking several forms of HRT including prometrium or a progesterone type of pill. Why?
Unread 02-06-2004, 03:12 PM

Many of us have found progesterone to be useful after a hyst. Our bodies made progesterone before a hyst so why wouldn't we need it now? That said, not everyone does need progesterone after a hyst. We are all different and our hormonal needs can be different. Hrt is not a one size fits all.

Progesterone does do more than just protect the uterus. Here's two interesting articles:
Progesterone Benefits
Progesterone, do I need it?

Here's a list of symptoms of too much/too little estrogen, which also includes some signs of progesterone deficiency:
Too much/too little

Prometrium is a brand name progesterone. It comes in pill form suspended in peanut oil. You can also get progesterone from a Compounding Pharmacy. From a compounding pharmacy you can get it in various forms; pills, creams, gels or troches.
Unread 02-06-2004, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the links. There is definitely a lot more here to think about and research. I have been on estratest and prometrium for 5 years since menopause and have had no symptoms. Now suddenly since the hysterectomy I am all hot flashy again. I had stopped with the Prometrium but I think I will resume it and also look into some of the alternatives that are out there. It surely makes more sense to put into my body as close an approximation as I can of what it has lost.

Thanks again
Unread 02-07-2004, 11:37 AM

You are still very early post op. It is not uncommon to experience symptoms as your hormone levels fluctuate and your body recovers from surgery. For some of us, hormonal balance can take some time and patience.

I would recommend that you start keeping a journal of what you're taking and your symptoms. This may give you a clearer picture over time if things are improving or getting worse.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.