HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Sense of smell Sense of smell

Unread 02-06-2004, 05:55 AM
Sense of smell

I know this may sound trite, but has anyones sense of smell become super sensitive after treatments. Smells that never bothered me make me want to barf. I'm having a harder time with that then anything and driving my family insane. It has become tougher to get to the radiation oncology unit at the hospital because it's next to a cafeteria! I hope it gets dull again in time.
Unread 02-06-2004, 06:32 AM
Sense of smell

Hi I did that just after my tah, it was like when I was pregnant. I thought it very strange,but someone wrote in and said from hormones or lack of them. It was really weird. I could smell everything mostly bad smell. It has lessened now. Hope yours does too.Will be praying for you. Judy
Unread 02-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Sense of smell

Hi, Helen. It's funny that you're saying this about your sense of smell. I don't recall that my sense of smell was affected during my treatment, but I'll tell you what... my sense of smell now is outrageous! I can pick up things with just a very brief wiff. Very interesting.

Looking forward to meeting you soon.

Best,
Unread 02-06-2004, 08:47 PM
Sense of smell

Hi,
I have definitely noticed that my sense of smell is different. Some of the perfumes I loved I now hate. And the weirdest thing of all is that I have been a vegetarian for nearly 10 years and suddenly, I love the smell of chicken and beef! In those 10 years, I've never liked the smell of meat and certainly never liked the taste of it. Now I want a big mac!

Hang in there!
Unread 02-07-2004, 01:55 AM
yes, but was pregnant with daughter

when it first started. I had no nausea until about 4 months and suddenly the smell of hawthorne in blossom, and strong perfumes would make me feel sick as a dog.
I have stayed super sensitive to smells ever since. After recent surgery last month, I had to have my water jug changed as the lady who did it reeked of a perfume that I could taste before she came into the room and the smell was all over the jug, glass and water, I couldn't stomach it at all. Even now I have to tell my teens not to spray their Lynx deodorants in upstairs bathroom or else smell will attack me in kitchen and anything i eat or drink tastes revolting!

My mum also has keen sense of smell despite smoking for over 45 years ( given up now) but if one of us kids lit a match just for the smell, she could tell as soon as she entered the room, even 6 hours later! Sadly, my sons and DH have deplorable sense of smell so I usually have to inform them that their feet or other body gases are rather bad and strong!
Interesting thread, I will enjoy following this when I get chance to log on, thanks, Linda
Unread 02-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Sense of Smell

I noticed when I first got home from the hospital in 2001 that a certain scent I loved (hazelnut vanilla, Bath and Body Works) made me nauseated. I had to throw it out and some hazelnut vanilla air fresheners. It took a while until one day I was being treated for recurrence that I got that same smell and realized it reminded me of the plastic tubing smell. Also, I found that wihle I enjoyed scents on others and they didn't bother me, I no longer could stand them on myself at all. So now I use unscented body wash and very lightly scented shampoo and rinse it well. Also when I have chemo, I cannot stand the scent of food being grilled on a restaurant-type grill and yet I can eat grilled cheeses! Our sense of smell does change. I love perfume and scent stores and smelling samples, but I can't take them on me.
Unread 02-08-2004, 02:49 PM
Sense of smell

You are helping me so very much. I just saw a news report about a zinc product making people lose their sense of smell forever that doesn't seem so bad but of course I would never do that intentionally.
Unread 02-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Sense of smell

Hi Helen,

I do believe that my sense of smell became stronger after chemo. Sometimes I will tell my husband that something smells funny and he just looks at me like I am crazy. He does not smell anything and I do. However, I also stopped smoking 2 years ago. Maybe that also has something to do with it.

See you soon...

Rosalie
Unread 02-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Sense of smell

Hi, Helen!

Right after chemo, I became so sensitive to pretty much every smell that I couldn't even be in my parents' house (where I was staying during treatment). I had to sit outside in a robe so I didn't gag. I had such a hard time with any smell. The smell of all food made me nauseated, and the smell of blankets, the air, clothes, soap, etc., also made me nauseated. I eventually got over it.

Smoking marijuana helped. (I did this for nausea and pain after not being able to eat for six days. It did help lessen my sensitivity to smells. Since I don't know if you've read any of my previous posts on this subject, I do want to add that I do not smoke or take drugs.)

The sensitivity to smells lessened with each subsequent treatment. To this day, however, I get nauseated when I smell one of my (former) favorite lotions -- Body Shop's Satsuma lotion. I used it in the hospital after surgery, and boy was that a mistake. It makes me gag now.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway