HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Are my fibroids really so bad that a hysterecomy is my only option?! Are my fibroids really so bad that a hysterecomy is my only option?!

Unread 02-08-2004, 10:59 PM
Are my fibroids really so bad that a hysterecomy is my only option?!

I've known about my fibroids for 10 years and had been taking the wait-and-see approach with my doctor. Seven years ago, she prescribed Loestrin Fe1/20 to regulate my heavy and irregular periods. I am now on Ovcon 35 because I had so much spotting on the lower dose pill. I still have some spotting but no pain nor discomfort. I have boundless energy; I run competitively and lift weights. I feel great.....that is, until after visiting my Dr. 2 weeks ago. After viewing the results of my ultra sound, she recommended a hysterectomy!!

"You have 3 fibroids the size of ping -pong balls and numerous small ones".(all submucosal). Also, one peduncular, same size. (outside the uterus.) Your uterus is the size of a 18-week pregnancy."

I couldn't believe it!! MY Dr, for whom I have great respect , cavalierly suggests that I need major surgery...yet I don't particularly feel as though I am faced with a life-threatening situation!

Is it because I'm 44 and she knows that I wasn't planning on having children? Is it because she does not offer any of the alternate approaches? I'm dumbfounded.

I am going for opinion #2 next week.

A question: Have any of you runners out there been able to get back up to your speed following a hysterectomy? How long did it take?
Unread 02-09-2004, 07:11 AM

Dear Kitty:

My pre-op research showed that many women over 40 have fibroids, altho it may not affect everyone adversely. I had a small fibroid, but my hyst was for prolapse issues. 85% of hysterectomies are done for quality of life issues, not to save a life.

Here is a link to our Resources Forum, where you will find lots of info regarding fibroids and the treatment options available:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...n=browse&cid=2

Congrats on taking the initiative to get a 2nd opinion, and don't hesitate to go for a 3rd or 4th if you feel you need it. Ultimately, only YOU must live with your pre-op symptoms AND your post-op results, good or bad.

Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 02-09-2004, 10:47 AM

Hi Kittycats,

Like (((Twyla))) I applaud your decision to seek another opinion. There are a variety of possible treatments for fibroids besides a hysterectomy. You may or may not be a good candidate for the alternatives, so I hope the second doc will discuss this with you.

When I was dealing with fibroids, I found this website to be very helpful: www.thefibroidplace.com Although Hystersisters was and continues to be my favorite this website has some great resources specifically related to fibroids.

As for the running ... I was never a runner until recently. I'm 2 years post op and am now 48 years old. I currently run 2 miles at least 4 times per week. Everyone is different with regard to recovering from surgery and for me, it was probably a full year before I felt like myself again. There are so many variables to consider - type of incision, whether or not your ovaries are removed and whether or not you take HRT, plus other health conditions. So, it's hard to say for certain how long it might take you to get back to the running times you post today. It might only take a few months, but it could be much longer.

Keep us posted on what you decide about treatment. I truly hope you'll be offered some alternatives besides a hyst.

Beth
Unread 02-09-2004, 07:26 PM

Kitty, a hyst likely is not your only option. I thought it was the only alternative for me -- 16 week size uterus, largest fibroid 3", lots of bleeding even mid-month, backaches, lots of extra fun stuff, family history of cancer. My regular doctor said it was the best option for me. However, the surgeon didn't agree. She doesn't want to do the surgery because she feels I'm a prime candidate for severe complications -- mainly because I'm a fluffy sister. So I was given two basic options: a Lupron shot, or tough it out. I'm trying to tough it out. But there were options to the hyst after all. You have to weigh your options very carefully. The surgeon scared me to death with the complications she felt I would have. Remember each of us are different - so you need to make the best decision for you. A second or third opinion is an excellent idea.

Keep us posted, Kitty. And know that whatever your decision, we will be right here to support you.

s

Lynnia
Unread 02-10-2004, 07:52 PM

Reply to kittycats:

Definitely go for a 2nd & even 3rd opinion until you find a doctor that will listen. I have multiple fibroids with a uterus the size of a 5 1/2 month pregnancy. I'm scheduled for surgery on 2/18/04 and my doctor is confident he'll be able to keep the uterus. And you know even if it has to turn into a hysterectomy I'll feel better knowing that he made the attempt. The first doctor I consulted tried to steer me toward a hyst and my 2nd consultation (my surgeon) is 180 degrees from him. Wishing you the best in your search!
Unread 02-10-2004, 08:11 PM

fibroid Queen that I am, I don't have dditional information to add to what the other sisters have said.

In stead, I thought I would point you to this thread to hook you up with other runners and see their experiences with getting back to their exercise post op. http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=126443

Good luck, and get as many opinions as you need until you are comfortable. FWIW, my doctor was willing to do a myomectomy if that was my choice, instead of the TAH.

BSQ
Unread 02-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Thank you Thank you!!!

Thank you so much for your replies! I 've learned so much from your experiences and I am grateful for yur suggestions. Been getting better night's sleep because of you guys! (And so has my husband!) What a wonderful site this is! Thanks so much!
I will keep you posted on opinion #2 (and 3 and 4...)
Unread 02-11-2004, 08:36 PM
fibroids

I had TAH and BSO on 1-21-04 for fibroids. Mine were orange size or so according to the ultrasound. Because I am 51 and my FSH was 38.6 doctors felt they should have been shrinking instead of growing. After my 3rd ultrasound in as many years, the doctor said hysterectomy because of possible cancer. I went to an oncologist gynecologist for a second opinion and he concurred so I went ahead. Have not quite recovered so I am wishing I had gotten 40 more opinions until I found someone to say no.....but I did not have cancer and I will survive and be better than ever!!!

Get a second, third, fourth..... opinion because I was told for the first couple years they would shrink as I got older and through menopause. If they had - and yours might - who knows.
Unread 02-13-2004, 05:59 PM

Hey--did anyone recommend myomectomy? (See my post elsewhere tonight.) I had one done when I was thirty (they just carve the fibroids out, and otherwise leave all intact) and now I'm 51 and still have everything, fibroids (yes, they regrow, but they haven't killed me yet!) and all. I refuse to put my body through all the risks and repercussions of major surgery, particularly when I know for a fact that this is a very lucrative and overly-used kind of surgery which is often unnecessary. I refuse to finance a gynecologist's mistress or kid's college education through something done to my body which may change it forever after! So, please research your many options before you go ahead with anything, and definitely get 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinions until you hear what instictively feels right along with the research you have done. Good luck!
Unread 02-14-2004, 05:19 AM

Yes, myomectomy sometimes is a good option for treating fibroids. I had a laparoscopic myomectomy at age 45 for removal of two large fibroids. I ended up having a hyst about 6 months later because my gyn discovered I had severe stage 4 endometriosis during the myomectomy. It turns out that the endo was causing most of my problems, not the fibroids.

Although your uterus remains after a myomectomy, the procedure is still considered major surgery. And in my case, the surgery costs (gyn fees) were about the same for the myomectomy as the hyst. The biggest difference was the hospital cost - with the hyst, I was there 2 nights while with the myomectomy, the surgery was done as outpatient.

Beth

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway