HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

atypical cells and endometrial hyperplasia atypical cells and endometrial hyperplasia

Unread 02-09-2004, 06:22 AM
atypical cells and endometrial hyperplasia

My dr. has diagnosed me with endometrial hyperplasia with minimal atypical cells ( from the lab. report) I have been bleeding for 7 weeks solid, have had 2 d & c's and an aspiration (agony!!) He has recommended a hysterectomy. I also have ovarian cysts, and have to decide whether to keep my ovaries or not.
I am a 44 yr old, very fit (ran a half marathon last sunday!!) teacher, and just want to get back to normal. Am taking progesterone, but it is not having much effect as far as the bleeding is concerened.
Anyone else got similar symptons??
Unread 02-09-2004, 10:36 AM

Hi Lencath and welcome

I never had the problems that you are describing, but I've read posts here from many other gals who have had endometrial hyperplasia, so I hope some of them will be along shortly to share their experiences.

You might want to check out our Cancer Concerns forum too because many of the gals there have had these types of problems at one time. I'm not saying I think you have cancer or that cancer will develop - just pointing you to another place where we have wonderful, informed members. Here's a link to the Cancer Concerns forum:

Cancer Concerns

Keep us posted on how you are doing and what you decide about treatment.

Beth
Unread 02-10-2004, 08:32 PM
endometrial hyperplasia

I also have endometrial hyperplasia but without atypical cells, which was diagnosed the week after Christmas! Great present. I also have a fibroid tumor ( 13 week size) and heavy bleeding. You are not alone. The week after Christmas the bottom fell out and it hasn't stopped. I am taking prometrium and after after six pills the bleeding stopped for three wonderful days and then back to square one. Two Doctors have suggested a laproscopic hyst and removal of both ovaries. Since I am 50, they think the ovaries are about to play out anyway so why not just snatch them too. I am very reluctant to remove them because I will have to deal with menopausal symptoms, which I have not experienced as yet. My mother had breast cancer so HRT scares me.

I called the Dr's office yesterday and was told that the prometrium maybe hasn't kicked in yet and to wait a few months. I don't know if I can keep this up. My hemoglobin has gone from 11.8 to 9 and I am about to have it retested.

I'm sorry you are going through this but there are so many women out there going throught the same thing for some odd reason, it gives me comfort. This website has helped me so much. Good luck to you.
Unread 02-11-2004, 07:14 AM

Hello Cath,

My problems went beyond hyperplasia, but I was able to get a good response w/progestins (the synthetic form of progestrone).
If the bleeding isn't related to your recent procedures.. without quick good response to progestins, and w/considerable bleeding, I would have to wonder if your problem goes beyond hyperplasia and even a possible ruptured ovarian cyst.
Thoughts anyone?
May I ask you what you are taking and the dosage?
Unread 02-11-2004, 08:13 PM

I have been taking 20 mg of progesterone for 2 weeks now, but bleeding still not stopped. Fortunately my blood counts are good, 13.3 I think for hemaglobin and white cells good. Dr now thinks I have small cysts in my uterus which are causing the bleeding. He has now put me on a combined pill to try and stop the bleeding.
Still thinking of having the hysterectomy, but does anyone have advice regards vaginal rather than the abdominal surgery?? Also, still not sure about ovaries, Dr says 5 yrs of HRT, is this a good idea??
Lots of questions, not sure of the answers!!

Cath
Unread 02-14-2004, 05:45 AM

Hi Cath,

Here is link to a website that compares the different types of hyst surgical approaches. This may help you:

Hyst Incision Comparison

In the end, it's really up to your doc to recommend the incision type that is best, given your situation.

As for your ovaries, if they are healthy and you have no family history of ovarian cancer, why not keep them? You could be 10 years away from natural menopause and if you keep your ovaries and they continue to function normally, this would postpone the need for any type of decision about HRT. Again, this is an issue to research carefully and discuss thoroughly with your doc.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing and what you decide about treatment.

Beth
Unread 02-25-2004, 04:24 PM
cyst/hyperplasia?/migraines

The previous posts were exactly the the thread I was looking for. I need help. My periods have been getting longer--13 days now--for the last year, but fairly light. Not anemic yet. Taking prometrium but it didn't change anything. Began having more cramping. This month I had a 5 day period! but then began another 13 days later which is very painful. Earlier this month finally had ultrasound showing cyst and 'thickened lining.' I'm assuming this is hyperplasia. I also had an abnormal pap in Dec. that is to be rechecked soon. I'm 41. I'm so tired and so tired of hurting. I'm having migraines that last the length of my periods. I'm on topamax, frova and relpax and still have migraines. I'm taking 800 mg. motrin like it was candy for cramping and headaches and still hurt. Today I took darvacet and didn't hurt for one blessed hour but then it started back again. Nurse suggested we schedule a D&C and laparoscopy. I've been talking to friends and reading on-line and I beginning to believe that a hysterectomy is a better solution. The laparoscopy or ablation sound like they will only be a temporary help & then the problems will return? I'm 41. I have a tubal ligation. Prior to this I had no problems. If I do ask for a hysterectomy what do I do about my ovaries?
Unread 02-25-2004, 07:00 PM

Hi Pooh,

I can tell that you are very frustrated and looking for long-term relief. However, a hyst is major surgery and generally something to be viewed as a last resort after other options have been tried and failed.

Do you have another appointment with your gyn to discuss all your test results, your symptoms and your treatment options? You say the ultrasound showed a "cyst" - was this an ovarian cyst? You also mention a thickened uterine lining - this could be hyperplasia or it could by something like adenomyosis. Adeno is similar to endometriosis but it occurs when the uterine lining begins to grow into the uterine muscle. It's very difficult to diagnose adeno, unfortunately, and many gals don't even know for certain that they have it until the pathology report comes back after their hyst.

I strongly encourage you to discuss everything with your gyn and then get a second opinion from another gyn before you make a final decision about treatment. If there are other options to bring relief from your migraines and erratic bleeding besides having a hyst, then you could save yourself the trauma of major surgery.

Keep reading, keep asking questions and be sure you have a good understanding of all your options. We'll do our best to provide support, whatever treatment you choose. Sending hugs your way.

Beth
Unread 02-25-2004, 09:41 PM

Yes, my appt. is tomorrow. I've been waiting for dr. to end vacation so have only spoken w/nurse so far. Yes, it's an ovarian cyst--left ovary. I don't know the size or type or any details yet. The nurse just said thickened lining. She said we wd schedule a D&C and laparoscopy to look at the cyst. I'm hurting a lot and have the migraine-side of things out of control as well. I'm looking for a fix for that. The migraines are definitely being wildly aggravated by my hormones. Yes, I'm terribly frustrated; I need to be better. So far, I'd been getting the picture that anything short of a hyst. and symptoms would most likely return in a few months.
I appreciate your response. I definitely want a total picture when I talk to the doctor. I want to know as much as possible so I ask all the questions I can think of.
Unread 02-25-2004, 10:09 PM

I was diagnosed with multiple endometrial polyps and simple endometrial hyperplasia without atypical I had the ultrasound and it showed fibroids and a cyst on my left ovary so he did a endrometrial biopsey thats what showed the hyperplasia & polyps

He recomends a TAH he says there are meds we can try but that it most likely will coem back and the polyps can in time become cancer

I too had the prolonged bleeding thats why i went in! i had been bleeding for 9 weeks and it was really gettign old
Funny thing is after the biopsey the bleeding has stopped I told him maybe im cured he laughed & said well theres a slight chance but not really
no such luck I guess LOL

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.