HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Weaning off Premarin Weaning off Premarin

Unread 02-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Weaning off Premarin

Ladies, I have been weaing myself off of Premarin since Jan. 1st with my doctor's blessing. As of now, I have not had any menopausal symptoms whatsoever. I hope to be off it completely by my 3 year hysterversary in April. What I was wondering was has anyone else been symptom free after going off HRT or am I in for a big surprise somewhere down the line? Is it possible for symptoms to come along weeks or even months down the road after I am off the Premarin? Or I am I just plain lucky? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks....

Emily
Unread 02-10-2004, 06:12 AM
Weaning off Premarin

Emily,
Great question and can't wait for the answers. I am fairly new to this jungle and your question is definitely one I will be interested in hearing replies from other and especially from you. Keep us posted.
Unread 02-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Weaning off Premarin

Unread 02-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Weaning off Premarin

Emily,
As most of the ladies in the are still using hormones I'm going to move your post over to the No Hormone Oasis. The ladies there aren't taking hormones so hopefully they'll have some firsthand experience to share.

Good luck! I'm going on 5 years in May and I am not even thinking about stopping the hormones yet. Too scarey for me.

Unread 02-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Weaning off Premarin

Hi,

I know that I'm only 4mos. post op., but I have been on Estradiol since the op.. I now am going on 9 straight days w/o anything per my Dr.. I feel fine. But, I'd like to know the same things. Is this too good to be true?

Best wishes to all who are also waiting for the "other shoe to drop". s

Anxiously Waiting to Hear Some Info.

AnnieWoof
Unread 02-11-2004, 01:43 AM
Weaning off Premarin

All I can tell you guys is that when I started to forget to change my patch, I didn't notice -- but last year, if I was even 12 hours late, I would start in with hot flashes and the whole nine yards.

I'm finding that I still need a bit of estradiol, but if I'm late with the patch, or run out, I don't really notice much but my eyes getting dryer. Haven't had a hot flash in probably 6 months...

Audrey
Unread 02-11-2004, 07:52 AM
Weaning off Premarin

I cut down on my estradiol over about a 3 month period, and stopped a bit more than a year ago. I had more symptoms during the "transition" than I did once I stopped. I almost never get a hot flash during the day. I still get nite sweats once in a while, but I do know what triggers them - wine, not exercising, excess stress.

I do still need vaginal estrogen, and I get very dry if I forget to use that.

Dorrie
Unread 02-18-2004, 08:03 PM
Weaning off Premarin

I have, been on Premarin .625mg since the day after my hysterectomy. With all the warnings and news I started tapering off the end of October, 2003. Instead of one a day, I started taking one every two days. Then the end of 1/04, I started taking one every three days. Was doing great, no side effects.

I should also tell you that I had never had a hot flash--until this past Saturday Night, and now I've woken up with them every night since then. I am now going back to my 1 Premarin every two days and hope this starts working again.

Obviously the Premarin must get built up in your body, when it decreased in mine the hot flashes started. I've just had them at night so far, but we all need our sleep.

I hope so one else can add something to this thread. It' so scary reading about all the side effects of the different medication we have at our disposal.

Who would have thought with Premarin being on the market for 50 years that it would only be within the last two years that the side effects were finally noted.

I myself am so mixed up on this estrogen hormone problem that I really don't know which way to turn. My gynecologist is of no help in this matter either. Believe me I tried talking to her about it.

Any suggestions that someone could impart to all of us?
Unread 02-18-2004, 08:50 PM
Weaning off Premarin

Tyger,

Premarin is also available in a .325 (or .3 something) strength. Maybe if you cut down to that for a while, and then considered whether you needed to cut further,would be a compormise. I don't know of a way to wean off HRT without some symtpoms (although I'm sure women who toss their pills and do fine exist and don't post here ) I

Remember that for most women (no breast cancer, no heart disease), the risks of using hrt (and it isn't clear there are any for estrogen alone) appear after 5 years, and are really very small.

Still, there is no reason to use more medication than you need. Perhaps the lower dose would be OK for you.

Dorrie
Unread 02-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Weaning off Premarin

{{{{{tyger}}}}} I am sorry you are experiencing night sweats while weaning off Premarin. Perhaps Dorrie's suggestion might help you. I am down to taking Premarin every 4 days and still no symptoms of menopause. Maybe I am just lucky, I don't know but I am still waiting to possibly hear from someone like me that went off their HRT with no problems. I assume that it is possible that is why I posted in the first place. I just want to be prepared in case of problems down the road although I hope to stay off the Premarin unless the symptoms are unbearable. Good luck to you! By the way, how old are you? I am 51 and perhaps age might have something to do with it????????

Emily s

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.