HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Best Place to Obtain Natural Bioidentical Estriol and Progesterone Creams? Best Place to Obtain Natural Bioidentical Estriol and Progesterone Creams?

Unread 02-10-2004, 07:34 AM
Best Place to Obtain Natural Bioidentical Estriol and Progesterone Creams?

I just zipped thru the late Dr. John Lee's book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause," and he states that progesterone cream is available without a prescription. Yet the two pharmacies I just called said that a prescription IS needed. (I'm in Pa.)

Now I've just a website where I can order these creams (plus myriad other hormone products like saliva hormone tests). Has anyone had any success with ordering from such a site? Or do you get your doctor to prescribe them for you?

Do these creams have to be "compounded?"

And has anyone ever used the saliva tests that you mail in to the lab?

Thanks!
Unread 02-10-2004, 09:06 AM

Hi

You can obtain progesterone creme over the counter. Make sure it contains at least 400 mg. of USP progesterone.

Here is a past thread where (((Surferbabe))) list the OTC progesterone cremes and their strength(s). Health food stores will carry various brands.

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=97019

I have my progesterone creme compounded by a compounding pharmacist (ordered by my doctor). Using a compounding pharmacy will ensure that your cremes are fresh. If you do buy OTC, be sure to check out expiration dates.

's
Unread 02-10-2004, 02:24 PM
progesterone cream

I have used progesterone cream since 1998. I have it mailed to me. It's also mentioned in Dr.Lee's book and I think any he recommends is probably okay.
Unread 02-10-2004, 06:59 PM

Sherrie,
I only used an OTC cream one time and that was in a pinch when I accidently ran out of my script. If it's possible for you to go thru a doctor I think it's best to get a script. If you doc is not willing, than perhaps you could locate a compounding pharmacy near you and talk with them. This site has a pharmacy locator www.iacprx.org

Hormonal balance can be delicate and if you're having difficulties if you can find someone knowledgeable to help guide you it can be a great help.
Unread 02-11-2004, 07:52 AM

Thanks, ladies! I just called my local health food store, and you were right---they have several brands. I wonder why the pharmacists didn't tell me that. (Note my sarcasm---or do they really not know?)

But I will seriously consider what you said about how it may be best to work with a doctor on this.

That's another key question I have---the surgeon who performed my hysterectomy may not be the best one to help me with HRT. Should I ask him to refer me to an endocronologist or another OB-GYN who may "specialize" in HRT?

I will have to call him about that.
Unread 02-11-2004, 09:14 AM
I am three weeks post op

The doc said yesterday NO to any HRT at all I got the pro-gest cream on Monday hoping the doc would say yes. She is afraid because she does not know about it. I had endo and she is afraid of it coming back. I cried for the first time. What a sad day I had. I am in full blown surgical menopause. ALoha all Ellie

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.