HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Also new here-I am wondering how to regain your strength Also new here-I am wondering how to regain your strength

Unread 02-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Also new here-I am wondering how to regain your strength

I am only 6 days post op and when I get up in the morning, I feel very good. I stay up about 1 hour and feel like I could go back to sleep. I am like that all day long. I lost my left ovary 4 yrs ago while trying to get pregnant with my last child, had 2 miscarriages, and finally got pregnant with her after my MD removed my left ovary and tube due to endometriosis. I have had pain in my left side for the past 7-8 months and finally went back to the MD to see if the endometriosis could be back--boy could it. He removed my uterus, right ovary, multiple adhesions, and "stripped" my left peritoneal cavity due to significant endometriosis. He put me on Norephindrone for 3 months until he can put me on an Estrogen Patch. He said he did not want to put me on anything right now due to the endometriosis. I am having the night sweats, headaches, and feeling very chilled all day even though the thermostat is on 72. My poor children came in from school today and asked why it was so hot in the house. I can certainly sympathize with some of you!!!! I am told by everyone that I will feel so much better after I get over this. I sure hope so, but I am having a hard time with not having any energy. I am used to working 10-12 hrs a day, 6 days a week. I am a nurse and need a lot of energy for my career! If anyone has any suggestions on boosting my energy, please let me know.
Unread 02-12-2004, 10:32 PM

Dyan, I'm a nurse, too. The best advise anyone can give you is this: rest. Take naps when you need them. Walk around the house. Drink lots of water. Don't try to do housework of any kind. It takes six to eight weeks for the initial recovery from a hysterectomy. Full healing takes as long as a year.

My energy returned after six weeks. For some women, it takes longer. Your description of your fatigue is quite normal. Most women tell us that they feel very tired, for a number of weeks, after a hysterectomy. After only six days, it's no surprise that you feel so tired. Listen to your body, and rest. Your energy will return, with time.

I hope your doctor will allow you to take at least six weeks off from work. I understand that you're used to working long hours, but you're recovering from major surgery. You've earned a "vacation," while you recover.

I hope you'll feel better with time.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 02-13-2004, 11:13 AM

Dyan,
Just to let you know that energy does come back slowly ...I had a SAH on 1/14 and now am starting to add just a little bit more to my routine (which has mainly consisted of getting up out of bed and moving to the recliner in livingroom..LOL)
I was walking every hour or so in the house..now I"ve added folding laundry, unloading the dishwasher (slowly), and even cooking dinner a few times a week (hey I like that my husband is enjoying waiting on me.. )
Each week is different for everyone but I am here to tell you it does get better..as long as you keep doing what you are doing..RESTING, drinking plenty of fluids..and RESTING!.
We only get 1 chance to heal correctly and I am taking that totally to heart (even if my extended family feels I should be up and doing all my normal frantic pace life things again!)

And even now...I have just started to appear "dressed" during the day and will still put on PJ's once I become really tired. The PJ's are a signal between my husband and myself that I have done too much that day and now need to rest.

Good luck!...you are going to do just fine.
Unread 02-13-2004, 11:34 AM

Ditto Ditto Ditto to what princessh and jocin have expressed. Rest, eat healthy, let people wait on you and don't even entertain the thought of going back to work before six weeks! I am returning to work mon. feb. 16 which is six weeks to the day of my SAH. I am STILL tired but nowhere near as tired as I was just two weeks ago. I still have to rest and am going back to work on partial days for a while. My work has been super, making sure I'm not coming back too soon and encouraging me to stay out longer if I need to but I need to get back for my sanity! A friend told me that anesthesia stays in your system for a few months which is what makes you tired. So take it easy and pamper yourself! Your body has been through major trauma, which as a nurse I am sure you know.
Unread 02-13-2004, 11:52 AM

I am 9 days post op and was stuggling with night sweats and chills at other times. My doc had prescribed vicoden for pain. I took it for the first 5 days, but when I got online to check side affects for vicoden, it was like reading a list of my symptoms.

I am trying to take just motrin or tylenol and am feeling my appetite and strength coming back.

Hang in there Girls!!!

Nayehi
Unread 02-13-2004, 12:01 PM

Make sure you don't take off the PJ"s too soon. That is an

indication to a lot of family members that you are feeling

better. I learned that when I got dressed and DH thought

I could resume regular duties Take it easy. Your body

will let you know the limitations.

Speedy recovery.
Unread 02-13-2004, 01:38 PM

I have been taking it as easy as possible. My dh was home for my surgery and just went back to work Wednesday night (he works offshore 14/7) and hated to leave!!!! My only problem is I have a 3 yr old that has gotten cabin fever. She is not used to staying home with mommy and she thinks I can get up and play with her. She is a jewel. She is my little miracle baby and I enjoy her so much. My oldest daughter has really helped me with the housework and is learning how to sort clothes and wash them. I could not ask for a better family!! All of my family works and they are unable to help out very much. My sister just came and picked up my little one to take her out for a while (Thank Goodness) and get her out of the house. I just feel like if I could get up and do a few things, maybe I would feel better. I have since read the post about over doing it and maybe I do deserve the rest!!!! I have always worked (I do paperwork in an office) and work in the small hospital on Saturdays (Just because I enjoy that part of nursing too) and have a hard time not doing ANYTHING!! You guys know what to do though and I will take your advice. Thanks for all of the answers!
Unread 02-13-2004, 02:11 PM

Boy do I know how you feel. I am 17 days post op and back at the gym. Much slower I might add (60%). Rest is the only way to regain energy. I too am an R.N., it is hard to keep us down, but remember, when you have to return to work you may say to yourself --oh, if only I could get some rest! You will start feeling pretty good around 12-14 days (depending of course on your pace of recovery) Good Luck!
Unread 02-13-2004, 02:18 PM

Take your time healing; I'm in healthcare, too, and just accepted an offer for a new position, so I'm really anxious to get back to full speed.

I'm 4 weeks post op, and feel strong enough to be up all day most days, but if I get a little tired or sore, I stretch out with a book or a DVD for a while. I learned the hard way about 10 days ago not to push it because it comes back to bite you!

Take this time to heal, rest, and recover from this significant event. Your energy level will increase with time.
Unread 02-13-2004, 02:34 PM
REst

I to am a RN and I am3 weeks today... yipee..........my mother came over today and said..you sound better.. and to tell the truth I am... still gas pain.. still Intestional issues..but if you could just read all my post since discharge from hospital on 1/24/04.. one would say I am on a upward swing...

will be off till 3/18/04 after which I will gladly return to work.. up to that time... this is one Nurse who only cares about one Patient for now that is me.....

rest....sweetie....

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.