Swollen belly-how long for everyone else out there? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swollen belly-how long for everyone else out there? Swollen belly-how long for everyone else out there?

Unread 02-13-2004, 08:37 PM
Swollen belly-how long for everyone else out there?

I am 1 week post op and would like to know how long your abdomen should stay grossly swollen. I put on a pair of sweat pants I bought right before surgery and I look very large in my abdomen. They barely fit now. I know that it takes a while, but I am planning to return to work 4 wks postop (only to my desk job) and wear nursing uniforms. I have recently lost a lot of weight and bought new uniforms to accomodate my size. Just wondering if I should get out the x-large uniforms to wear to work. Thanks for all comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2004, 08:47 PM

Hi,

The swelly belly can go on for weeks or months for some. It is a good idea at first to have elastic pants or at least pants that have some room or give around the waist.

I also found that when I overdid the belly would swell. It will get better with time. The inside tissue is healing and the fluid might be a way of protecting everything inside when we get more active.

Best of luck

s
Unread 02-13-2004, 08:53 PM

I am a little over 3 weeks post-op and swell more everyday......I hate it,but i am geting use to it.It gets worse after i eat,or if i am on my feet alot.I really wish it would go away,but it seems to like it here.lol I was told it could last up 6 months or longer.

TAH 1-21-04

many people walk in and out of your life,only special people leave footprints
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2004, 08:58 PM

i'm at 4 months and still have it. i have seen dr twice to complain and she does not see what i mean.... they make me feel like i'm in the twilight zone....
Unread 02-13-2004, 08:59 PM

At one week you should expect to still be significantly swollen. You may be better at 4 weeks but will probably notice that the more you are on your feet or even sitting upright for a period of time you will experience the swelling. Our bodies are truly miraculous and I always assumed the selling was my cue that I had done enough for the day and it was time to go back to resting mode.
Unread 02-14-2004, 06:02 AM

You might as well get out those x-large uniforms, you'll be glad you did. I know everyone is different, but if you expect the worst then you can't be dissapointed, ya know what I mean? If you do end up being able to wear your smaller uniform then you will feel like a queen! I had a uterus the size of a 5-month pregnancy and thought that I'd be feeling like a skinny minny after surgery- wrong! I don't look pregnant anymore but I'm still very swollen and my pants are not comfortable. I am 4.5 weeks post-op and am LOVING loose pants w/no zippers! And believe me I love to look good and wear nice cloths, but it's just not worth it yet.

Also, congratulations on the weight loss before your surgery!
So many people are trying and you actually did it. GOOD JOB! It's not easy. I want to lose 30 lbs. and I've been saying that for the last 7 years now!
Unread 02-14-2004, 06:04 AM

I will be three weeks ppst op Monday. The last couple of days the S/B went down a bit and I was very pleased...then went to a reitirement party last night for a dear friend (when did my friends get old enough to retire????) and now I have the full SB back...guess I did too much standing around and gabbing...today I'll have to celebrate Valentine's Day by lying on the couch all day.

Anyway, the other more experienced sisters are right, this can go on for a while, but it will get better.
Unread 02-15-2004, 01:45 PM
SWOLLEN BELLY

HI DYAN
I'M 3 MONTHS POST OP NOW I HAD TAH WITH OVARIES REMOVED AS WELL MY STOMACH IS STILL SLIGHTLY SWOLLEN AND TENDER IT TAKES A WHILE TO GO DOWN THE STITCHES INSIDE HAVE TO HEAL AS WELL AS OUT SIDE SO BE PATIENT EACH DAY GETS BETTER BUT REST AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE AND DON'T OVER DO IT , YOU MAY THINK YOU CAN DO MORE THAN YOU REALISE BUT YOU WILL PAY FOR IT IN THE END I STILL CANT PUT MY JEANS ON WHICH I MISS CAUSE AFTER A WHILE MY STOMACH STARTS TO FEEL SORE HANG IN THERE

JACKIE
Unread 02-15-2004, 02:00 PM
Still Swollen

Still Swollen and sensitive 6 weeks post-op. Went out yesterday and bought some drawer string slacks to wear to work until I can get back into my regular work slacks. First day back to work tomorrow and not looking forward to it!
Unread 02-15-2004, 09:08 PM

I'm almost 5 weeks post-op and still have a swelly belly. I love the mornings because that's the only time my tummy looks normal. I'm getting use to the idea that as the hours go by, the swelling begins. However, I am keeping the faith that this too will pass and that it will continue getting better. I found that my high waisted pants work during the day, as they provide room for the swelling without the pants causing discomfort. Of course I'm in sweats by 5:00! I was starting to worry that this swelling should be subsiding by now, but find comfort knowing that others also have this problem.
Thanks for the support, sisters!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register