HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Hysterectomy for PMDD Hysterectomy for PMDD

Unread 02-15-2004, 07:55 AM
Hysterectomy for PMDD

Hi, I'm 29yrs old and suffer from PMDD (Life destroying PMT basically ) I've been through the whole diagnosis process and am now coming to the end of a 6 month trial period off all medication - with a view to now having surgery (may sound drastic, but I had 6 months on Zoladex injections to turn my ovaries off - and it was BLISS!). My dilema is, on last seeing my Consultant with a view to having my ovaries removed, he said unless i was planning on being a surrogate, there was no point keeping my uterus either and he would elect for full hysterectomy??? Obviously I'm fine with my ovaries going and fully prepared for HRT, but I'm a little unsure as to having the whole lot whipped out!! My GP mentioned some ladies find that 'climax' is effected due to lack of a uterus, whereas I've read that this is down to the presence of your cervix (which I may opt to keep after reading some of your members reviews!) ?? Does anybody have any opinions for/against??
Unread 02-15-2004, 09:23 AM
Hysterectomy for PMDD

Hi Angel,

I did not have PMDD, so can't share any experiences there. But I think you are very smart to be asking questions about whether or not it's really necessary to remove your uterus.

Have you consulted with another gyn for a second opinion? I highly recommend you do that if you have not done so already. And please be sure to speak with someone who has experience treating patients with PMDD.

While you already plan to have your ovaries removed, a hyst (uterus removal) is a very major procedure too and if not really necessary to restore your health, why remove it?? While many gals do extremely well after having their uterus removed, others are not as fortunate. Even if you keep your cervix, there is no guarantee that you might not have diminished libido or other problems. When an organ is healthy, why remove it?

Please keep asking questions, get at LEAST one other opinion before making your final decision, and make the choice that seems best to YOU. Trust your instincts. Please let us know how you are doing and what you decide. Sending hugs your way.

Beth

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.