HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Anyone know about Mayo Clinic in Rochester? Anyone know about Mayo Clinic in Rochester?

Unread 02-20-2004, 05:13 PM
Anyone know about Mayo Clinic in Rochester?

Anyone been there, know someone who has, or know about it? I think that's the next step. Went to the hospital today, with the expectations of a nerve block. Ended up being informed how inconvenient I was to the pain clinic. The doc did a trigger point injection, (which did nothing except make me cranky and sore along with being in severe pain). My GYN and I was wrong in thinking the pain clinic would actually care enough to help a woman in pain.

So here I sit, the clinic won't give me pain meds, and since I'm a patient there, nobody else can prescribe them or administer them to me. I can't even go to an emergency room. Does that sound controlling to anyone else? I hurt so bad. I'm in tears as I type this. And I'm out of pain pills, and nobody cares.

I just want to die. I just can't take this. I don't want to be in pain anymore.

I'm done suffering. I'm too weak to go on like this.

Laura
Unread 02-20-2004, 05:31 PM

Oh honey

I'm so sorry you are feeling so bad. Please hang in there. I know how hard it is to be in pain all the time - really. I'm waiting for my referral to the pain clinic here, and I hope my experience is different than yours. It sounds like your gyn is caring. Maybe the Mayo clinic is what you need. From what I've read here from others who have gone there, it is a great place.
Don't say that nobody cares - we care. I know we can't do much for your pain, but know that there are lots of great women here pulling for you. I wish there was more I could do for you. My heart really goes out to you. Hang onto that, OK.
I will keep you in my prayers, that some relief comes for you soon.
Keep in touch with us here.
The biggest 's ever.
Shelley
Unread 02-20-2004, 05:31 PM

(((Laura)))

I think the Mayo Clinic is a wonderful place. I have known people who have gone there for treatment of various ailments and as far as I know they have been happy.

I am sorry you are suffering & feeling so frustrated! I don't understand why you cannot go somewhere else for treatment. Were they able to explain that in any way that made sense?
Can you talk to the doctor that referred you there?

Is it the endo causing your pain? I had endo too, so I totally sympathize with you! In my opinion, Mayo's can be worth looking into. I think the U of Minnesota has a teaching hospital too and that's probably an hour or so north of Mayo's.
Are you near any teaching hospitals in Wisc?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/

I'd also like to send you some s! I am really sorry you are in pain & not getting the care you need! Good for you for continuing to look for help and answers. Please don't give up!

One more thing I'd like to say is that I strongly believe you CAN get relief with the right care so you will not have to live with so much pain forever! Please don't give up!

Perhaps you could print off the post you just wrote & if the pain becomes too much, take it with you to the ER & let them know you are tired & frustrated & deserve some help! I don't see why you couldn't go to the ER if you chose to, no matter what the others said. I think I'd call the original doc & get some help.

Please hang in there & let us know what's happening. We all care so much! We really understand & care.

Unread 02-20-2004, 05:42 PM
Oh Laura, I am so so sorry

I have been to the Mayo Clinic in AZ twice now for diagnostic work-ups and twice for surgery. I can answer any questions you have about that clinic or more generally about the process I went through getting there.

I do not understand how anyone could deny you adequate pain relief when you are in such pain. You really do need an independent evaluation by someone trained in chronic pain management. I am sure you can get this at the Mayo. I know I did in Scottsdale. I felt like I really needed a very good second opinion. Both my gyn and my family practitioner and later my internist were behind me. It was a very empowering step for me to take in my health care.

What about an internist or GP, short term? I do not understand why the pain clinic has so much power over their patients, especially if you are well on your way to choosing not to be one. It really may help at this point to have your Gyn interceed on your behalf.

Good luck, honey, I am so sorry you are suffering. My heart aches for you.
With love and light and extra prayers,
Loretta
Unread 02-20-2004, 06:26 PM

Oh Laura, I just remembered!
The Endometriosis Association is based in Milwaukee! I used to be a member. Just looked at their site & looked at the list of advisors. There are some right in Wisconsin. I wonder if you could see any of them? Or get a referral from them to someone they feel confident about?

http://www.endometriosisassn.org/advisors.html

I hope this helps you!

Let us know how you are doing, alright?
Unread 02-20-2004, 07:19 PM

Dearest Laura,

You definitely have alot of love being poured out to you. I am just so sorry to hear about your agonzing pain. Years ago I had trigger point injections and I know how terrible I felt after that. It made me feel like I had been beat up. Chronic pain is so demoralizing!
Until you can get a doc to really advocate for your needs, maybe you can use moist heat and lavendar essential oil to relax your central nervous system and calm down the screaming nerve endings. ( I know that isn't much, but it may help a little until you get the real 'stuff' that you need. ) Would it help to use benadryl to help to make you tired and allow you to sleep? ( I don't know what all your circumstances are, or if you are able to use benadryl, you can know for yourself if that would be helpful in a pinch.)
Praying that you will be guided through this difficult time.

Tedi
Unread 02-20-2004, 08:27 PM

Laura,

If I new where you lived I would drive over & give you a big I am so sorry your in so much pain. I wish I could make your pain go away. Please hang in their... I know it's hard and feels like it's hopeless, but please think positive there has to be an end to this pain, someone must now how to help. And most of all remeber that we all care!

If you need anything or their is anything I can do please just send me a pm...

Kim
Unread 02-21-2004, 02:10 PM

Dear Laura,

I am sorry you are in such pain and the pain clinic did nothing to try and help you.... I know you were very hopeful about that.

I have been to the Rochester Mayo twice and just went to the Scottsdale Mayo clinic. My first trip to Mayo was a year after I had been diagnosed with endo and had surgery and still had alot of pain... the doctors were sending me for the Pain Clinic at the Mayo... but I never made it that far because the first Gyn I saw told me I still had endo problems and sent me instead to the RE doctor who did surgery on me THE NEXT DAY and sure enough I had endo again (stage 2). That surgery was very helpful but of course I continued to have endo problems and constant pain over the years. My recent trip to the SCottsdale Mayo was for pelvic pain and I saw a Gyn/Onc who is world renowned for treating endo, pelvic cancer, pelvic pain. He found endo that had been missed before amongst some other things... that endo had been missed for at least 6 years maybe longer.

I will tell you that I had at least a 6 week wait before I could get into see the doctors (but I think winter is the slow time for Rochester and the busy time for Scottsdale so maybe you will get in sooner at Rochester) ... and I think it is really helpful if your local doctor is supportive and works to get you in too. It is very expensive but it does seem that you get what you pay for. I was finally able to get my insurance to approve my visit on appeal but not without several letters from my local Gyn and GP.

Keep us posted on how you are feeling.... and if you need a shoulder to cry on...

Sarah

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.