HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How soon after surgery can I start walking? How soon after surgery can I start walking?

Unread 02-22-2004, 08:01 AM
How soon after surgery can I start walking?

Surgery was the 10th. I tried going for a short walk last Thursday for about 10 minutes, and didn't feel as good for the rest of the day. Tried again yesterday, and again, and I didn't feel as good. Am I pushing it too soon? I'm only talking about a 8-10 minute slow walk. When did you ladies start walking again?
Unread 02-22-2004, 08:22 AM

Hi, my surgery was the day after yours. I went for a 10 minute walk on Wed. and spent the rest of the day on the sofa. Yesterday I went over to a friend's for lunch and then we had people over in the evening, and today I can tell it was way too much. I want to rush recovery, too, cos I feel so good compared to the way I was before. But we need to heal and as you hear often on these boards, you only get one chance to heal properly.

I think the only thing we can do is listen to our bodies, and not be in a hurry. There is a reason we get 6 weeks off work! We just had a huge procedure and our insides need a lot of TLC!
Unread 02-22-2004, 08:29 AM
walking is good

Hi,
My TAH/BSO was on Dec 10 (2003). I started short walks up and down the driveway after 1 week then increased my distance a little everyday after that. My dr told me walking was good for me so that I wouldn't develop blood clots in the legs but to take it easy-no stairs for 2 wks or steep hills. He did finally clear me for my stair climber and weight machine after 5 1/2 wks. I still get tired after a really hard workout and I'm about 12 wks post-op. Just take it easy.
Mary
Unread 02-23-2004, 08:57 AM

Hi,
My TAH/BSO was on Dec 19,03. I started short walks up and down the driveway after 1 week then increased my distance a little everyday after that. My dr told me walking was good for me and wanted me to go as far as possible each day. By the first of the year I was driving for short distines and walking a lot. I went back to work after 3 weeks (with my doctors blessings). I'm now 9 1/2 weeks post op and feeling great. I still get a little tired after a long day but each day gets a little easier.

Hang in there and listen to your body, it will tell you when you are doing to much. But don't just lay around you need to keep moving to build up your strenght.

Have a good walk today
Halfpt40
Unread 02-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Listen to your body

Walking is absolutely the best form of exercise while recovering. Just take it easy. Don't rush it -- ESPECIALLY when you're feeling like you can do more. You'll find out the hard way that it comes back to haunt you the following evening and/or day. Walking 10 minutes here and there is a good way to get started. If that's too much, than shorten it to 5 minutes just around the house -- twice a day. Increase the time slowly -- just keep walking, even if it's just a few minutes here and there.

Sitting gets mind numbing and the walking (even if just around the house) is a good distraction.

It'll get easier -- really, it will. Bring a "tummy pillow" with you as you walk. It feels good up against your abdomen and it makes you feel "supported" for some reason. My tummy pillow became my "best friend" for the first 4 weeks.

I'm now 5 1/2 weeks post-op from TAH/RSO - and I'm feeling so much better, but I still get really worn out and have to be careful with the over-doing. It just takes time. Be patient and be careful.
Unread 02-23-2004, 07:22 PM

Everyone's surgery is so very different and we are all on different time-lines for recovery. I am coming up to 6 weeks post TAH and I was up and walking the day after surgery. I would do short sessions several times a day. But I was a walker beforehand so it was a good way for me to burn energy and help get the "plumbing" working again.

As everyone says, listen to your body. It can take up to a year to get back on track, so I've been told. Follow your doctor's guidance (orders sounds too severe) and your recovery will be quicker with less complications. I have busy days followed by days of rest. Sometimes it takes more than one day if I've been very busy. I take life one day at a time.

This was major surgery and our bodies really need the recovery time. Don't be superwoman and let your family pamper you. I mention my frustration to them so they know that I'm not being lazy but am trying. I also show them with gratitude for all the things they do for me. I still attempt to do my own fetching and carrying because the walking in the house is good for me. In fact, I "go for a walk" inside and my dog thinks I've lost it and wonders when we are going for a "real" walk.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.