Too much to handle | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Too much to handle Too much to handle

Unread 02-27-2004, 04:19 PM
Too much to handle

Hi. I am 4 days post op and feel absolutely horrible. As I predicted, DH and DS's have done nothing but fight over the chores. My nerves are shot and I'm in pain. My hospital stay was terrible. I had a migraine the AM of the surgery. The surgery was scheduled for 11:30 A.M. Needless to say, I went in at 12:45. At about 12:10, they finally gave me something for my headache in the IV. What a joke. My head was ready to blow off.

I was asked a million times if I donated my own blood because the hospital didn't have a drop of B blood in the hospital.

So, I wake up in recovery in agony looking for a nurse. She stupidly asks me if I am in pain. Duh! I'm crying all over the place. Then she tells me that they hooked the morphine up and that I could use it.

Then this guy who transports patients and the nurse are wheeling me to my room and slam my stretcher into the wall. Now I'm place in my room and low and behold I have a roommate who happens to have at least 5 children and some grandchildren who all happen to be visiting and hooting and hollering.

Then after I was laying in bed like a dog, the doctor on call comes in and tells me they are very concerned about my blood count which dropped from 10.5 to 7 and they were watching that. I told him I needed my other meds that I take on a daily basis which includes Ativan and Paxil. They refused to give me the Ativan. So now I'm freaking out because I just can't stop taking that and I didn't want to have a full blown spasm attack. Finally, they gave it to me.

Now I tell everyone prior to surgery about my other problems and that I can't eat solid foods nor can I eat or drink very cold or very hot liquids, etc.

What do you think they give me for breakfast?? French Toast, Sausage and Cream of Wheat. No milk. All I wanted was a cup of freakin tea.

Lunchtime: Breaded Fish Filet and Rice and Coffee (I don't drink coffee).

Dinnertime: Breaded Chicken, Hard Noodles and String Beans...Still no freakin tea!!

Finally bedtime, the woman next to me, wets the sheets twice and does number 2 once. Guess whose awake now.

Next morning, the party starts again. My doctor came in and asked if I wanted to go home and I jumped at the chance.

Anyway, this was the Hospital Nightmare.

Surgery: Uterus, Cervix, Right Tube and Ovary removed. Severe adenomyosis, multiple fibroids (uterus and ovary), severe endo which was everywhere. My uterus was tilted back and the adhesions formed on it and stuck to my back. Dr. wrapped meshing around left ovary to protect it from further endo.

On top of all of this, my mother fell down the steps and broke her left foot and right knee.

Why am I being punished.

I am so sorry for being so longwinded, but if I didn't get it out I was gonna explode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Too much to handle

Gemini526,

My gosh you have been through alot! I wish I had some magical words to send to you. I see you live in PA. I do as well. At least we are to have a nice week-end so maybe DH and DS's will go outside and you will have some quiet time. You certainly deserve it. I sure hope things get better for you and know that the sisters on here really care about you and your recovery. Here is a group hug and please let us know how you are doing.
Unread 02-27-2004, 04:36 PM
Too much to handle

OMG, I really am sorry it all was so awful for you.
You are not being punished, even though it really seems that way. This is the heavy weight of circumstances, and it can get really hard to take sometimes.

It will get better and if you have any more things to vent about, (gosh I hope not, for your sake) we will all be here for you.

Soon you will be transformed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2004, 04:43 PM
Too much to handle

i,m so sorry uve had such a bad time, big hug for u, i hope thing,s get betta for u, u just let us know how u feel don,t keep it in. take care sending u lots of kind wishes xxx
Unread 02-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Too much to handle

You truly had a nightmare experience at the hospital. Can't believe they were so poor in taking care of you and meeting your needs. You should send a complaint letter to the hospital administrator.

My family has also had arguments about who is going to do what. My lovely teen son and daughter argue all of the time anyway and it's only been worse. But, my DH corrals them and assigns them each tasks. They listen to him better than to me. (Guess I'm too much of a softy.)

I am now 3 weeks post-op TAH. I also had endometriosis covering my female organs - which was something both my dr. and I were unaware of until she "went in" for the TAH.

This truly is a life changing experience. It is extremely hard but I am learning a lot - about myself and life. I, too, want to feel better!!!

We're all here for you, dear.
Unread 02-27-2004, 05:31 PM
nightmare

You poor thing!!!!

The part that really caught my eye was that they were serving you SOLIDS the day after!!!????

I was strictly on liquids for a day and half to give my bowels a rest and make sure I could pee. THEN it progressed to toast and cereal for breakfast - soup for lunch and chicken and rice for dinner.

I too had an over-crowded room - my Canadian health coverage is for a semi-private room meaning no more than 2 per room - well not only was I in a room with 3 beds (assured that no one would occupy the third bed) but one of the girls had no less than 6 people the whole visiting time in this teeny tiny room.

Finally - they moved me to a semi private after lots of complaining - the nurse was new and hardly helped carry any of belongings over.- not only that... she actually WAITED for us to ask for our meds instead of asking while every 4 hours while taking our vitals...

so you are not alone - remember ... take advantage of any quiet in the house to sleep - it will make you feel better.
Unread 02-27-2004, 05:49 PM
Too much to handle

Phyllis.

I am so sorry you are having such a miserable time. It seems like it is just one nightmare after another for you. I am sure on top of it you don't want to hear your hormones are now probably all over the map too. I am not sure how you can but you need to try and relax and have some time to recover. You need to make your family realize you only get one chance to heal and you need this time. Lock yourself in the room if you have to and don't worry about the outside world for awhile. Come here to HysterSisters and get as many s as you need

Sending s and ers

shelly
Unread 02-27-2004, 05:58 PM
Too much to handle

Oh Phyllis. I will keep you in my thoughts and I hope that your DH straightens his act out. What a terrible week for you. I do so hope all starts getting better. My prayers are with you
Unread 02-28-2004, 08:14 AM
Too much to handle

I read somewhere that the more children fight and compromise as they grow up: the better their sex lives would be. It made me laugh when the kids would get into it. I would think some luck boy out there will marry that one. Hee Hee

I was lucky I had a private room. It was lovely. The only other time I was in hospital was when I had my kids. Especially remember when I had my twins, my roommate's husband saying to his wife, "Does her husband love her. He is not visiting." "Are her babies going to make it?" My babies were under lights for jaudice. It hurt more than I can tell you. DH and I didn't expect twins and he was home trying to organize the house for two babies which were a month early. The entire visiting time the room was fulled with her company with their butts bumping into the curtain into my space, borrowing my chair, talking about my DH. Sorry, didn't mean to go on and on but it was so clear again that I just shared it. (It is a quarter of a century ago.)

People say and do thoughtless things.

I called DH from hospital because at this hospital you had to call to order your meals at the hospital I was in. Well, How was I to know you couldn't order breakfast until 6:30 so I patiencely waited until 4 and called DH to come to hospital. I was so relieved he was on his way and I wouldn't strave so I fell asleep. When he arrived I told him, I had to order or else. He explained it was too early and why did I need him. I was scared I guess. He came, and I slept. He ordered breakfast and has this great story about the hospital. Hopefully you will laugh about your adventure too.

I took my antidepressive meds in the morning and asked if I could take my imetrex if needed. They said yes. I sometimes get a headache if I don't eat or sleep correctly. My surgery wasn't until 3.

My hospital sent out a questionaire about "service" I would tell them the truth about your experience.

Bookfairy
Unread 02-28-2004, 10:00 AM
thanks

I guess I just felt like a nobody and that no one was listening or cared.

Can you answer a question for me? Is it supposed to be painful urinating? Also, I have been up since 4:00 A.M. because of the pain in my abdomin. I don't think the medication is strong enough. What do I do, take all of these and call my dr next week and tell him to up the milligram? I don't know hwat to do!

Then, like I said earlier, my mother broke 4 bones in her left foot and chipped a bone on her right kneecap. She's in the hospital and I called her already.

But I need to say this to someone, can't I have my own illness? I know that sounds awful, but why can't anyone ever be there just for me?

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register