HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Catheter, does it hurt?  Please tell me b4 I go.. Catheter, does it hurt? Please tell me b4 I go..

Unread 03-04-2004, 07:18 AM
Catheter, does it hurt? Please tell me b4 I go..

I leave for the palace at 6:15 A.M. tomorrow. The pre-op nurse said I would have a catheter put in after I was put out in OR. But, that I would have it in until the next morning.
I have never had one and I am terrified of what it may feel like.
Does it hurt real bad??? Anyone who can tell me what I may expect, it would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 03-04-2004, 07:29 AM

It can be uncomfortable but I had a cath when I had the twins 4 years ago and it never really hurt. I have to have one in the am too. Just take a deep breath and relax. Ha ha I keep telling myself that too. Take care and hope all goes well.

TVH 3/5/04
Unread 03-04-2004, 07:39 AM

I had a cath for 2 days after my surgery and I was grateful for it. I had TAH/BSO and wide local excision on the vulva and getting up to go to the bathroom all the time was not what I wanted to be doing with a new incision and an IV hooked up. I had no discomfort. It was fine.
Unread 03-04-2004, 07:48 AM
catheter

Just wanted to wish you both a very good outcome when you go for surgery tomorrow. I am a nurse(retired) and have inserted a lot of catheters back long ago. I also had to have some female surg. last year and they also inserted a cath. With the surg I had last year they waited until I was asleep, which I appreciated a lot!!

They really aren't too bad if you are awake, they use a lot of lubrication and just a little feeling of pushing at first, once its in there is a little balloon in there that keeps it in and you really don't notice it. Hope that is the way it goes for you both and good luck, will keep you in my thoughts and send good wishes your way....your fellow hystersis, Marjie
Unread 03-04-2004, 07:51 AM

Hello,
A catheter really isnt that bad ask them if they will put you to sleep first before inserting the cath. I didnt even know I had one till I woke up from recovery. It really isnt anything to afraid of. I had my surgery exactly 2 weeks ago and I still have a catheter, But I can say that it is not any fun having to wear one for this long. Its not really painful, but can be uncomfortable at times. You will be happy to have one after you wake up from recovery, that way you wont have to get up and down, you probably wont even realize you have it at first. Good luck, let me know how everything turns out. I hope i was able to help you.......HUGS.......GLORY
Unread 03-04-2004, 09:22 AM

I also had a catheter put in after I was asleep. They left it in until the day after surgery and then they got me up to go to the bathroom. Never was able to go on my own and they had to recath me several times.

It didn't bother me at all. Maybe I was just too swollen from the repair work to notice it was even there. At any rate, I didn't have any pain from it at all.

Best wishes and s for your surgery tomorrow.
Blessings,
Unread 03-04-2004, 09:46 AM
Catheter

Nope. Cathether didn't hurt me. It did get uncomfortable the second night . . . only because I was tired of it. Just took a shot of my Morphine and went back to sleep for the rest of the night.

Then next morning it came out. Burned a little when the nurse took it out, but all-in-all it was bearable.
Unread 03-04-2004, 09:50 AM

I've had catheters several times, and I've been cathed while awake and after being put to sleep. Never have I thought the pain unbearable, just pressure mostly. I did have some problem after my hyst with LOTS of pressure and nurse said probably was catheter, but come to find out it was gas pressing on my bladder. Once that passed I felt MUCH better. I am with Who Me....it is nice not to have to get up to go to the bathroom that first day after surgery....esp when you are on narcotic drugs!
Good luck
chele.
Unread 03-04-2004, 09:57 AM

I have had several cathaters, and I have only had one that I had problems with. They filled up the balloon too much. After they released some of the fluid, I was fine. Good luck with your surgery and God Bless.

Jennifer
Unread 03-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Catheter is a lot of maintenance

Hope all goes well with your surgery tomorrow 3-5-04.. The catheter is the last thing to worry about... it is however a lot of maintenance at home if you have to go home with one. I have the foley from the hospital (the big one) and they gave me a leg bag that I can put under my clothes when I go out. Just get a lot of the alcohol wipes to clean the tip of the catheter with, and get a roll of the clear tape so that you can tape the tube a few inches away from you on your hip so that it doesnt get too tight in your panties. I love this this little trick the nurse showed me... and it keeps the catheter from pulling and causing pain and pressure when it is taped to your hip or upper thigh. (this really helps when you sleep too. I keep the foley catheter on the floor tilted up, so that it drains all night, and that there is no urine in the big clear tube (that can cause pressure on your bladder if the tube is not draining into the bag at all times). I have had mine now for 2 weeks because I can't pass my bladder trial. That is where they fill your bladder up with 250 cc of water, and then take the catheter out, and then have you sit on the toilet with a catch cup to measure the output of the water they inserted.. I so far have only gotten up to 100cc... but will try for the third time tomorrow. There is really no pain when you have the catheter inserted, just a little prick, but relax, and know it is for the better. My doctor has me on macrobid to keep any infection from setting in. (I am glad for this, as I was advised my neice got a bad infection 2 days post of from her catheter)... Good luck, and relax, and most of all take it easy. I feel GREAT 2 weeks and 2 days post op...Kelli

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.