HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Prolapsed uterus, bladder and rectum Prolapsed uterus, bladder and rectum

Unread 03-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Prolapsed uterus, bladder and rectum

Just found out that I need to have a hysterectomy and my bladder and rectum repaired because they are prolapsed.

Since I just found this out, and my doc thinks this happened very quickly, they are having me checked for any type of mass that may have caused this sudden prolapse.

My problem/question/fear is whether or not to have this surgery at all. Things are hanging out slightly, but not interfering with going to the bathroom or sex.

I've been reading almost everything I could get my hands on, including most of the postings on here, and I can honestly say I don't know what to do. I trust my doc as if he were family. He doesn't like to perform surgery unless he feels its absolutely necessary. He told me I would have to see a urologist, and probably have a bag for almost a week.

I have a very healthy sex life and I'm worried things would diminish afterward. I know there are no guarantees in life, but I was wondering if anyone had similar symptoms and had the surgery and is better for it....

Thank you for listening......
Unread 03-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Prolapsed uterus, bladder and rectum

I developed a prolapsed bladder after my second childs birth and within 6 months my bowel and uterus followed.
Unlike you I did have symptoms, problems going to the bathroom, periods were a nightmare, and sex was out of the question.
I waited until my daughter was 16mths before I had surgery.
I am sooo happy with the results. It certainly hasn't been an easy road, but now at 3mths post op I am more than pleased with the new me.
Can go to the bathroom and empty my bladder and bowels, DH & I are having sex again (not as much as I'd like though) I can walk without discomfort, my children have a *happy* Mum,
and even DH can't get over the change in me.

However in saying that if your prolapses aren't bothering you, and you don't really want to contemplate surgery at this stage then don't. As my Urogyn said it is not life threatening, it just affects your quality of life. There is no rush.
Ask your gyn about the possibility of a pessary. But then if your not bothered by your prolapses then there is no need. But always an option to look at before you decide if surgery is what you want.
The one big thing I have learnt is that if you do have a hyst then it is really important that your surgeon resuspends your vaginal vault to prevent further prolapse.
Take your time in making a decision , get a second opinion too if you want.
Unread 03-09-2004, 06:56 AM
No rush

I procrastinated for years. It IS a quality of life issue. If you're not ready, don't do it. I did and I do agree that its nice to be a girl again and I'm now glad I did it. My prolapse was bad enough you could see it depending on what clothes I wore. I don't think I would have had the surgery otherwise plus my dh had a big change in insurance coverage this year, so December was a good time. Ask your gyn what degree prolapse you have. 1 is mild, 4 is severe.
Unread 03-09-2004, 07:13 AM
Anotheer prolapse here.

I'm having surgery in 2 weeks!

It is a quality of life thing totally. My prolapse was caused by severe constipation with Colitis. When I first noticed it I thought there was a weird hair and then I discovered iit was the string to my IUD and tip of my cervix. I didn't go to the doctor until abbout a month later and by then I had about an inch of my cervix poking out.

I finally went when my 3 1/2 year old daughter walked in on me in the bathroom and started asking "Why mommy has a penis and I don't? Will mine grow too?" I then decided to see doc ASAP. I had no idea it was so severe or that surgery was going to really be my option.

My doc, like yours, does not operate for nothing so I trust her completely. Talk to yours about the quality of sex afterwards and your concerns.

Stay posted to me for details afterwards! LOL

This isi a very hard decision. Mine is bothering the heck out of me and 4 pessaries later I said "CUT IT OUT NOW!!!"

Good luck!
Unread 03-09-2004, 07:36 AM
prolapse also

Hi, I'm having surgery in a week,pre-op is today.
I'm 53 and am post-menopausal. I've had stress incontinence since the birth of my third child( 21 years old now) but it wasn't until early last summer when I felt a strange pull in my right side(it was one of the ligaments to my uterus giving way). all summer I felt like something was hanging down but the only outward sign was a slight bulge around the opening to my vagina. during a visit with a new GYN(I hadn't gone to one for years,just my internist for yearly visits), she asked me if I realized that I had a prolapse. It worsened into the fall, as I have to do a fair amount of lifting with my job. I was very shocked to find out that the only way to correct the problem was a hysterectomy with bladder sling, and anterior and posterior repairs. I've been using a pessary since late October. My gyn told me that I should get this fixed while I'm still relatively young. At first the pessary offered great relief but the prolapse has gotten much worse .I can't lift more than 10 pounds without feeling pressure in my vagina, I haven't had sex for 6 months and every morning the bathroom poses a challenge,so it's time. I am apprehensive about the recovery period, but from what all these post op sisters tell us, it's 100% better than what we are experiencing now.
Unread 03-09-2004, 08:13 AM
peace of mind

Hi!
You're doing yourself a favor by taking your time & getting info--then you will be able to live with your decision, which may change if your situation changes. I had a prolapsed uterus and also cystocele (prolapsed bladder), rectocele (the bulge into the vagina from the rectum), and enterocele ("hernias" of the intestines into the upper vagina). I have a terrific urologist-gynocologist (sounds like you'll need one too). From the onset he told me that my condition warranted surgery, but that surgery should be for me, not for him. Surgery of this extent would require 12 weeks of "not pushing, pulling, or lifting anything heavier than a telephone" or the repair of the hernias will be undone and I'd be back where I was--just without a uterus.
At first, I said I'll live with it as long as it stayed the way it was. But, for me, the pressure on my bladder and the ordeal of trying to empty my ever-enlarging rectocele became more and more difficult to deal with (some things just should not have to be done manually!). I am a teacher and I would have to leave my class too often because my bladder was being "squished" from my uterus pushing on it (just like when pregnant) and also all of the other tissue caving in on it. So we tried pessaries--we had to try a few different designs and sizes over several months until I got one that seemed to fit & do it's job for me. It did help relieve pressure on my bladder, but my rectocele was relentless. I got to the point that using public bathrooms was a nightmare (I won't get graphic with you unless you need me to). But, with a young, active family, it's just not practical to only use the bathroom at home. All this escalated while my doc & I were still searching for my perfect pessary, and I said "OK. I want to talk surgery now" & he said "No doubt!" as if he couldn't believe I had toughed it out as long as I had. I was able to tough it out several months because I knew that winter would be a better time for me to recover as he adamantly requires. But there was a light at the end of the tunnel.
So, on Jan. 27th I had TAH/BSO and all of the hernia repairs. My recovery is slow but I think I'm doing well (I have my 6 week checkup tomorrow). My point to you is, I strongly doubt that I will ever regret this because I knew for me & my lifestyle that it was necessary. At first I was completely overwhelmed that decisions were left up to me--I'm a teacher, not a doctor! I also had to decide whether to keep my ovaries or not. My family doc & urogyn had differing opinions--ultimately, it was left up to me. If you opt for surgery, you may have to consider your ovaries as well. Continue to research so you know what you need to do for you. I had mine out, but that's another story.
As far a sex, I can't speak to that yet because it's off-limits for me for 3 months--but I have a very DH and 3 months will not be much in the course of our lifetime together. Sappy, I know, but true.
Best of luck in finding what's best for you.
God bless,
Unread 03-09-2004, 08:43 AM
center528

I had all this done on 9-11 and I had to have it done as it was interfering with my sex life I was so open it was awful. I did get sent to a Urologist who was a GYN too so I had him do the surgery, he was great. I did have to wear a bad a little over a week which I hated but I had to slowly get myself back urenating again. I can still recall DH stopping it awhile so I could get the feeling to urinate myself, that wasn't easy but when I went I recall streaming so excited like a toddler first using the toilet. The bag didn't upset things as I stayed in bed most of that week. Love, ((((STITCHER))))
Unread 03-09-2004, 10:41 AM
optimistic

Freckles, it sounds like your quality of life would be improved by surgery. I'm optimistic! I'm 38 & I certainly DID NOT want to deal with all of that until menopause finally hit (which I considered waiting for because of the ovaries debate). I am actually enjoying my recovery time. I thought I'd go nuts! I love my family dearly and I love my job as a teacher--BUT, I now have time--MY time. Time to spend on Hyster Sisters! I know it will be a good thing when I can drive, go to work, and resume life's activities again--but for right now, why rush it???? I'm following my doc's orders to a T--I'm not going to undo his handiwork & need surgery again. Make the most of your recovery time!

Stitcher, humor helps to deal with everything, doesn't it? The 1st couple of "bladder drills" post-op my bladder wouldn't work (spasms). Thank God for the cathetur (I had for 3 weeks). The first time I could go on the toilet, I called out to my DH "I made pee-pee on the big potty!" just like my DD did when she was a toddler! Laughing helps healing! Are you doing better now???
Unread 03-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Hi LLM,

Yes I'm better now actually feel great. Can't believe all the pain and discomfort I had was due to something in that area. I was a bit over pampered by my DH has always been that way. Love, ((((STITCHER))))

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway