HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Ovarian Cyst, Keep Uterus? Other Ovary? Ovarian Cyst, Keep Uterus? Other Ovary?

Unread 03-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Ovarian Cyst, Keep Uterus? Other Ovary?

WOW, I AM OVERWHELMED.
I AM 49 YRS OLD AND LAST MONDAY I WAS TOLD THEY NEEDED TO REMOVE AN OVARY DUE TO A 6 CM CYST. THE DOC SAYS WHY NOT TAKE THE UTERUS AND CONSIDER IF YOU WANT THE OTHER OVARY OUT TOO.

then he called just now and says maybe we should just take the ovary as he doesn't want to upset my system due to lupus.

WHAT IS THE DOWNSIDE TO REMOVING THE UTERUS {BUT KEEPING THE CERVIX]?

IS THERE A POSSIBLITY IN FUTURE OF PELVIC INSTABILITY?

ALL INPUT APPRECIATED

ALSO, WHATS IT LIKE TO GO INTO SURGICAL MENOPAUSE WITHOUT HRT...I AM NOT ALLOWED

THANKS JEWEL
Unread 03-15-2004, 05:42 PM

Hi, well I can tell you my experience. I'm 37. I had a large ovarian cyst (like a toy football) removed 6 months ago along with the left ovary and tube and 2 smaller ones burned off the right. Now, I am awaiting TAH and removal of the right ovary and it's orange and golf ball sized cysts that started growing back 6 weeks post-op. I guess you need to know for sure what kind of cyst it is, if t's just what they call a "Functional cyst" they can control those with the BCP, if it's any other kind, like mine are, chances are you will just grow more and have problems again. I spent 3 nauseating months on the Pill trying to shrink them. The cysts can twist and cause terrible pain, they can fall and block your intestines as mine did and they can just cause terrible pressure and pain like these do now. My uterus has tipped too so that causes a lot of pain too. . If I had ever dreamed I'd be going back for surgery this soon, I'da sure had it all removed the first time. But that was not suggested at the time because they just thought it was a functional cyst, which it has obviously not turned out to be. The only *Bright* side is that I may be able to squeeze a tummy tuck in with TAH, LOL
Puppet
Unread 03-15-2004, 07:11 PM

I can't really see a downside at your age to removing the uterus. What I mean by that is, you are either finished having periods or soon will be, not having more children... Leaving the cervix will mean your orgasms stay pretty much completely intact. I am 35 and had a long history of ovarian cysts and endometriosis. I'd already gone through surgery to remove them, meds to shrink them or prevent them... The doctor gave me the option of leaving an ovary for hormonal purposes because I hadn't yet reached menopausal years. I opted to remove everything. It's a personal decision. Everyone I talked to said when they left the one ovary, they eventually had to have it removed, within the year of surgery. I'd been through enough. I did have the option of taking hormones though. My doctor put me on Estrotest, which is just estrogen and testosterone. I'm doing very well on that. Before the hormone, I had night sweats, hot flashes, mood swings and insomnia. All of that has been aleviated with the hormones, except maybe the mood swings, but I AM a woman! LOL I wish I'd been given the option to keep my cervix because my orgasms don't seem to be as intense. (sorry, but you might have wanted to know that!) With you having Lupus, it may make everything different. I'd think you will go through some hormone decline anyway. Any surgery can affect your lupus. I guess questions to ask yourself are, are you having any problems with your uterus? Do you have a history of ovarian cysts that would make you consider removing both ovaries? Have you already been going through menopause and have a hormone decline? Good luck with whatever you decide. Check out the "No Hormone Jungle" for more information on that subject.
Unread 03-15-2004, 10:28 PM

thanks for the reply puppet and raggety gal!!!

you are right, it is a tough decision! the other ovary has a cyst on it

does the size of the uterus have anything with getting rid of it or not? the doc said mine was large...12.1 cm long by 5.9 cm AP.

my mom had a hysterectomy around age 50 and swore she could never live without estrogen...and i can't take it .....sooooooooooo

what does a person do with all the symptoms of menopause without hormones?

all input appreciated!

jewel
Unread 03-15-2004, 10:32 PM
HOW BIG IS 3.6 BY 6.5 BY 4.0 CM'S?

BOY DO I FEEL DUMB.....HOW BIG IS THIS MASS, I DON'T KNOW CM'S??

ANYONE HELP WITH CONVERTING TO INCHES?

THANKS

JEWEL

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.