HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Partial Colon Removal????? Partial Colon Removal?????

Unread 03-15-2004, 06:32 PM
Partial Colon Removal?????

Hi Ladies:

I met with a surgeon on Friday. I've been having problems with my right side hurting plus having tugging and pulling in my lower stomach. I've also had the constipation. My gastro doc has me on zelnorm, which helps with that tremendously. I had a test ran called maybe a small bowel follow through? The doc said it looked good. He said he would do laproscopic surgery to remove the adhesions that have attached to the colon. To help with the pain and constipation, he'd remove the part of my colon that goes from the small to the large. I'm scared to death. I mean to the point of bawling and wanting to cancel the surgery which is scheduled for April 14th. I've heard that this is very painful. I'll have to have a NG tube. I'm scared of both. Has anyone else been through this???? Can anyone tell me what to expect???? I have scheduled another visit with the surgeon on Monday the 22nd for me AND my husband to ask questions and talk about this some more. I've had a tah bso.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not drowning in my self pity even though I'd like to at times. I keep reming myself that God will help me through all of this but also that there are others who are worse off than me. Everytime, I find myself trying to do the pity thing, I say a prayer for me and others. I just need some advice from women who've been there....done that. I realize I'm the only one that walks in my own shoes so I don't always take everyone's advice but I do listen. I feel that when someone is telling you something, it's worth listening. You never know what you can learn from listening.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful night! God Bless you!!!!
Unread 03-15-2004, 11:45 PM

Do a search for (((surferbabe's))) posts: she had a partial colectomy last year for diverticulitis. She posted about her experiences, and there were some posts on her behalf about her surgery.

I've had the NG tube for some days and, while it was a hassle, it wasn't really painful. However, it was somewhat uncomfortable for me, as I was in the middle of allergy season at the time .

I'm sure (((Linda))) herself will be along to respond to you. There was another sister who also had a partial colectomy, but right now prevents me from remembering her username.

Good luck with the surgery! The adhesion monster is one too many of us know too well...

Audrey
Unread 03-16-2004, 01:18 PM

Hi Della,
What kind of Surgeon is doing your surgery? Is it your OB/GYN or a General Surgeon? I may be faced with a similar situation like you, but I'm not to that point, yet.

You mentioned your surgeon feels he will need to remove part of your colon, so I wondered what kind of surgeon.

My prayers will be with you. Please don't worry. My sister had a case of very advanced Colon Cancer & had her ENTIRE colon removed. She wasn't expected to live, but she does. Things went very well for her & her prognosis is very good. I'm sure that things will go very well for you, too, since it will be a small portion. But, I can certainly understand your anxiety about the operation. I may be in similar situation & I am worrying, already!!
Unread 03-16-2004, 02:30 PM
partial colon removal?????

Thank you Audrey and Sumarie for your replies. I'll definately look up surferbabe's posts to see what she has to say about partial colectomy. Hopefully, my allergies won't be bothering me if I have to have a ng tube. The surgeon that's going to do my surgery is a general surgeon. I did make me a list of questions to ask the surgeon. My husband and I are meeting with him again on Monday. Maybe his answers will help some of the anxiety I was feeling.

Sumarie, please don't worry about your possible surgery. I know that's easier said than done. I will keep you in my prayers that you won't have to have surgery and that if you do that God gives you the strength to carry you through it. Please keep me posted on how you're doing. If you want to talk, send me an e-mail.

I do feel lots better today. After I sent my e-mail last night. I said my prayers before going to bed. Last night was the first time I actaully talked to God about my worries. I'd been saying my prayers but kinda danced around the subject. I feel like today, God took my worries from me rather than me giving them to him. I know that whatever happens will happen for the best.

Thank you again ladies.
Unread 03-16-2004, 04:07 PM

Hi Della I'm sorry you have to have a partial colectomy. On the bright side, it sounds like you'll be able to have yours laparascopically and only a small portion is involved. That will mean your recovery process will be quicker and easier than mine was/is. I had over 3 feet of mine removed (from the hepatic flexure down to the sigmoid) and the rest re-routed, plus adhesions taken down where I'd had an abscess due to a perforated colon from diverticulitis. I have a foot long vertical scar to show for it now. But my remaining colon is working A-OK and now I can eat whatever I want to!

I was in the castle for five days and four nights - got the deluxe package with mountain views . I requested - and got - a private room, and I believe it made a huge difference in my comfort level staying at the castle for so long. I could actually shut my door and sleep at night, and when I had to use the bathroom there was no competition for the "facilities" and no embarassment factor!

My surgeon is a *primo* general surgeon and all around great doc, who is also chief of staff at our castle. He also just did my lumpectomy a few weeks ago and I would trust him with just about any surgery I'd need to have (hopefully there won't be any more though!). If you're anticipating a messy time because of adhesions, you might want to use a gyn/oncologist (they do more than just cancer)... they're used to the complicated procedures and having to be extremely precise.

The NG tube was a particular fear of mine, too. Turns out it wasn't really all that bad. It didn't hurt, the worst thing about it was that I wasn't allowed to eat or drink while it was in. It didn't hurt coming out, either, just felt slightly creepy for a second (they did it quickly).

I had a Foley catheter for the first couple of days because my DR did not want me to try to get out of bed for a while with that huge incision. By 2 days the Foley was driving me nuts because it wouldn't drain properly and kept clogging -- don't know why because after my hyst I went home with one and thought it was just fine -- so we removed it and I used the bathroom on my own.

I started having tiny bm's at around 2 or 3 days, pretty much right away. Just to forewarn you (sorry if it's a little graphic), the first bm's consisted mainly of a black sludgy stuff that was mostly old blood from the surgery. I just mention it because it might be scary if you don't expect it - don't worry though. I was surprised that the bm's didn't hurt nearly as much as they did after my hyst (had A&P repairs that time, that's what hurt).

I woke up with two IV's, one in each hand, and a central line in my neck. The central line was a very pleasant surprise. If I had a choice and had to do it again I would insist on one. It doesn't hurt. They could give me my meds during the night without waking me up because it had a port in it for injections. I had a tiny incision where it went in with 2 stitches, but that healed very well and it's pretty hard to find even if I'm looking for it now. The only downside was I couldn't shower with that in. But they left it in until I was ready to go home, and it enabled the IV's (which bother me a lot) to come out after a short time.

Pain meds wise, I used dilaudid in both PCA and IV at first, then switched over to IV toradol. That worked great. Then I went home and only took Vioxx for 10 days, then nothing after that. The pain was very manageable once I went home. I avoided narcotic pain meds because I did not want to deal with constipation after having colon surgery.

Make sure you get specific instructions from your DR about the bowel prep he/she requires and follow them carefully. This is VERY important! If there is any contamination in the field while they're doing the surgery, you can end up with a colostomy. That was my single biggest fear about the surgery, but thankfully it rarely is necessary. I was very careful to do all two days of bowel prep.

For a while after the surgery I had pains after eating. I could feel the bolus of food passing through the colon and stretching the anastamosed spots in there. Thankfully that didn't last too long and I don't notice anything now. In fact I was eating Thai food a few days after the surgery, which you'll see if you search out my posts about it (my DR was shaking his head).

Please feel free to ask ANYTHING... I'm more than happy to answer questions. I made it through the surgery, you can, too!
s,
-Linda

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.