what to wear | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-18-2004, 02:32 PM
what to wear

I am having TAH BSO, lymph node dissection on 03/26, with a long vertical incision to the navel. What type of clothing can you put on to come home from the hospital and the first few weeks at home? I have the feeling that any type of pants, (even panties) will not feel good??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2004, 02:47 PM
what to wear

Hi,
After my all my abdominal surgeries I wore dresses and sandals. (Slip on shoes are a must as bending is out) Right now there are some very cute loose fitting feminine dresses out there. Good time to have a hyst! They give you these funky fishnet hospital panties and I always ask for a few extra pair, because they are comfy. I sleep in a giant t-shirt.
Pants are out for me for awhile, so glad it is dress season!
Carrie
Unread 03-18-2004, 02:49 PM
what to wear

I have been told I will have the "bikini" cut but either way I think soft comfy pants with draw string so you can make it as loose as comfortable. I was shopping today for some pants like this but didn't find anything yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2004, 02:51 PM
what to wear

i had a TAH/BSO done 7 weeks ago i was most comfortable in a pair of sweats one size bigger and an oversized shirt pj bottoms one size bigger work good too this is what i lived in for the first couple of weeks best of luck to you
Unread 03-18-2004, 03:36 PM
Vertical incision

Don't worry too much about discomfort from clothing with a vertical incision. I was very comfortable in well-fitting panties and either pajama pants or sweatpants. There was no binding at all. The panties I wore came up to my waist. You may need a pad or panty liner so you want a panty that will stay in place while you are sitting or lying down. I wore softer fabric pants for about a month, even after I returned to work. The metal zipper on jeans just didn't seem like it would be comfortable so I didn't even bother trying.

BTW- I think the vertical incision heals very nicely. My scar is just over 13 months old, and it has really faded, particularly in the last few months.
Unread 03-18-2004, 03:50 PM
what to wear

Plain t-shirt dresses work really well. There were some in the clearance section of a popular Wisconsin-based mail order clothing company recently. AND many are cute enough to wear all summer :-)
Unread 03-18-2004, 04:05 PM
what to wear

DEAR rockypony, I LIVE IN PA. SO YES IT IS STILL COLD IN OHIO ALSO. GO TO THE MENS DEPARTMENT AND BUY MEN'S SWEATS THEY ARE A LITTLE BIT BIGGER IN THE FRONT(go figure)(ha ha ha) !! AND IF YOU ARE LUCKY THEY SHOULD BE ON CLEARANCE.

BEST WISHES one yellow rose(JENN)
Unread 03-18-2004, 04:38 PM
what to wear

Good idea!! I'll have to try that, thanks.
Unread 03-18-2004, 04:52 PM
what to wear

I bought underwear two sizes bigger than I normally wear, because of the swelling after, and bought those lounge dresses. The most important thing is don't do anything afterwards, but , do walk, it is good for you to walk alot. Don't do like stupid me and think you can go back to regular routines, It took me a couple of weeks before I could sit up, be prepared to lay on your back alot first few weeks, and I slept at night with alot of pillows under my legs, it takes the pressure around the tummy off. Take care of yourself dear, this is a time to pamper yourseklf and put yourself first. later I found a recliner to help alot.
Unread 03-18-2004, 04:52 PM
what to wear

I'm taking some really loose pants w/drawstring to wear when I come home. It's getting closer for me. I need to see what else I need to take.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register