Blood Clot | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-22-2004, 07:38 AM
Blood Clot

OK - I'm not an alarmist - but what does a blood clot feel like? I mean would you know it if you had a small one that was like just hanging around...I know stupid question right? The reason I ask is this. I am 2 weeks post op today. Yesterday I feel into the trap of feeling really well so I did a little more than I should have. Last night I had pains in my chest when I would breath deep. I figure it is just gas - but just to err on the side of caution I thought I would submit this question to my sisters.

Thanks for not thinking I'm nuts and giving me some support.

Carole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2004, 08:08 AM
Blood Clot

Chest pain and breathing difficulty are two of the signs of a pulmonary embolism. I'm not saying you *have* a blood clot, only that you could have one.

Please call your dr. now or go to the ER. Don't wait to see if it gets better because it could get worse. I had a deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg) after my surgery and didn't have all the symptoms of a clot. My only clue that something was wrong was pain in my inner thigh.

If it is a clot you need immediate attention. Please call now and let us know what the doctor says.
Unread 03-22-2004, 08:13 AM
blood clot

Call you doctor!! You might not have one but any of those symptoms needs a doctor to diagnose the exact cause. Let us know, KRis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2004, 08:18 AM
I Called

I called, spoke with the nurse and she said to take tylenol and call back at noon for an update. It could just be that I am not taking as many deep breaths as I should be taking. So I will do that...Thanks for the advice. I will keep you posted.

Carole
Unread 03-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Blood Clot

Burnsey,

I hope that you phoned your doctor. That happened to me 5 days post op. I had pains on the left side of my chest at the shoulder and behind at the ribs on the same side. Doctor said to get to the ER where they determined I had 3 pulmonary embolisms. Had I just tried to sleep the pain off, I would have died in my sleep they told me repeatedly.
I'm glad I made the right choice.

PLEASE CALL YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY!!

Unread 03-22-2004, 03:10 PM
I did call

I talked to my Dr. and he said since it seemed to get better with Tylenol he wasn't worried. Now I am worried since what you describe is teh exact pain that I am feeling. Now I am confused.

Carole
Unread 03-22-2004, 03:15 PM
Blood Clot

Carole,
If you've had that all day, chances are it isn't the same thing.
I couldn't catch a breath at all without pain. I had that for around 4-5 hours before I went to the ER. The pain got gradually worse with time.
I had an 8 pound fibroid removed on February 18 along with everything else I owned.
I am doing great now! I am going back to work next week. I am so thankful for life!!

Linda
Unread 03-22-2004, 03:19 PM
Blood Clot

Thanks for responding so quickly. Actually it began last night. In one spot - I can actually point to the exact place because it has been there now for more than 10 hours. However, it did get better with Tylenol. As the medicine is starting to wear off I can feel it again. But, I don't have shortness of breath - I do cough and have a sharp pain when I try to breath deep - but no shortness. I just asked my dh what he would do and he is at a loss too. As I said before, I don't want to be a baby about this - I just worry that I may have broken something loose. But it sounds from your description and what my doc said that I must have just stresssed something. I think I will keep an eye on my activity and stress level and see what my body tells me. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut - you know what I mean?

Thanks again.

Carole
Unread 03-22-2004, 03:42 PM
blood clot

Hi burnsy1217 and other sisters,
I have noticed since my surgery (I am almost 10 weeks post-op) that any physical symptom I have, I try to blame on my hysterectomy. Yes, there are MANY complications that can occur as a result of the surgery, but our bodies will experience certain symtpoms regardless of surgery.
I am not a medical professional, but I can speak on my own experiences. What you describe here:

[quote]Originally posted by burnsy1217
[I do cough and have a sharp pain when I try to breath deep]

reminds me of symptoms I experienced when I had bronchitis (I have had it several times). If your doctor has not listened to your lungs/breathing with his/her stethoscope, please ask him/her to do this. Each time I had bronchitis, I was treated with 7-10 days of oral antibiotics and healed well each time.

As your body focuses on healing from your hysterectomy, you may be more vulnerable to other ailments -- your immune system is preoccupied.

Again, I wish to remind you that I am not a health professional, and this is merely a suggestion based on my own personal experience. A diagnosis of bronchitis is made easily and without causing pain to the patient.

I do hope you can find an answer to your discomfort. ANY complication or ailment post-operatively makes recovery so much more difficult.

Also, I urge you to take it easy. I find that as a woman, I like to have my independence and enjoy the ability to do things on my own. I hope you have someone who is there to help you.

Best wishes,
Unread 03-22-2004, 03:46 PM
just to be safe

I am heading to the ER (my Doctor suggested it) just to be evaluated and put my mind at ease. I will post when I get home.

Take care.

CB

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register